April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Roundsworth, eeb, susjwp, David Williamson, 1 invisible), 400 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#530273 12/02/18 12:48 PM
mslee Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a couple old doubles that have either small, barely noticeable, cracks or small pieces of wood that are missing. I would like to do the repairs myself just for the learning and enjoyment of doing it. So, does anyone here have any comments or suggestions on doing this?
I would appreciate any advise given!

Shane Lee
mslee #530284 12/02/18 06:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shane,

Sorry, but pictures would really help

It is kind of like saying that my dog has a broken bone, can I fix it?

Also, are these shooters or collector guns?

Mike

mslee #530288 12/02/18 07:56 PM
mslee Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

cant seem to upload pics. I dont have an account with a site like photobucket. These would be shooters but I would like to know how for both shooters and collectors.

Shane Lee
mslee #530291 12/02/18 09:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, what kind of sxs? Savage, Win 21, Ithaca? European?
Where are the damages located?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAMspI1BeyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-HdLKcSu1w

Last edited by skeettx; 12/02/18 09:24 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
mslee #530295 12/02/18 11:20 PM
mslee Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a Clabrough and a Lefever. The crack is at the end of the side plate which I understand is a common issue. The chip of wood is on the bottom of the gun where it meets the receiver. The missing chip isnt but about an 1/8.

Shane Lee
mslee #530296 12/02/18 11:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure why it would even matter what make of shotgun has a crack or missing piece of wood which needs repairing. None of them deserve the gray epoxy, wood screws, and baling wire repairs we see all too often. But I would advise getting ahold of some broken junk stocks to practice on before attempting repairs on a valuable or collectible gun. Junk stocks are also a great and cheap source of walnut scraps to use for patching missing pieces.

First off, when repairing cracks, the wood should be clean and free of oil. Any debris in the crack will prevent complete clamping which will leave a large and noticeable repair joint that isn't very strong. Clamping is best done in a manner that will not damage the wood, so things like surgical rubber tubing and strips of rubber inner tube are good to have.

I did a little experiment some years ago to see what glue would give me the most invisible glue joint in walnut. I planed some dry black walnut and glued pieces together with several brands of epoxy including Accra Glass, West System, and a boat building epoxy. I also used polyurethane (Gorilla type) glue, and Titebond II wood glue. With a closely fitted joint, the Titebond II was the best, and when I attempted to break my samples by clamping them in a vise and smacking them with a hammer, the Titebond II glue joint was actually stronger than the wood.

It helps immensely to have a junk box full of walnut scraps and junk stock wood when it comes to gun stock patching repairs. If you want a repair that doesn't stick out like the proverbial sore thumb, you will want to spend some time finding a repair piece that is a very close match in color, grain, figure, and density. You want to keep the direction of the grain as close as possible to that in the damaged area. Typically, you will glue in a piece that is oversize, and then carefully dress and sand it down to the original contours to blend it in with the stock. Replacing a broken toe on a figured English walnut stock with a piece of porous straight grained Black Walnut isn't going to look at all good.

With a careful match of grain, color, species, and figure, you are off to a great start. This is why you should always try to save the broken pieces if you ever break a stock, because those pieces will be the most perfect match you could find. Great care should be taken to get a very close fit. The choice of glue is very important if you don't wish to see the glue joint, and careful and correct clamping technique closes the joint without excessive squeeze-out which starves the joint and gives a weaker repair. Then there are things you can do to make the repair even less detectable, such as using a darker finish, and even little details like using a X-acto knife to create artificial pores that bridge the glue joint and fool the eye.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

mslee #530297 12/02/18 11:44 PM
mslee Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for all the info

Shane Lee
mslee #530298 12/02/18 11:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's an example of a repair done by the extremely talented Pa. Gunsmith Dewey Vicknair on an L.C. Smith. This technique might come in handy to repair the frequently seen broken wood around the sideplates on Syracuse Lefevers. It shows what is possible, but not a good job for a beginner to attempt to tackle.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

mslee #530479 12/05/18 09:20 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'll second that "talented gunsmith in PA,". He can work wonders. Look at his blog and website before you attempt this yourself.

Last edited by susjwp; 12/05/18 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.