March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used B&P Comp 1'S 7/8 ounce loads and Cleaver Featherlight's in my Purdey and Atkin with much success.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also there is a brand called Esencia I believe being sold by my guy out of Florida.
You can get them in 2 1/2 in 3/4 ounce and 7/8 ounce

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any of the non-magnum B&P offerings should be fine. The nice thing is that if you go to the Italian site, you get pressure curves for all of their products. For example, the link below is for their F2 hunting line. Click on the Info link for each cartridge to get pressure and velocity.

Bruce

https://www.baschieri-pellagri.com/en/catalogo/cartucce+da+caccia/f2/1/index.aspx

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses.

In examining boxes of Remington Gun Club (12 gauge, 1 ounce loads) and Winchester Target (1 ounce and 1 1/8 loads) shells, I see some encouraging marks.

They all carry the CIP imprint. The Remington box even has a BNP mark with crown...and so I'm assuming they're considered safe to be fired in British guns within proof and with 2 3/4" chambers.

I'll take a look at B&P and Rio boxes when I find them.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it looks as if there are several American shells (besides RST) that qualify as lower-pressure loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used Winchester Light, Extra Light and Low Recoil. Three different loads. The light struck me as not so light. The Low Recoil velocity was enough under 1000 FPS to be a good target load. The Extra Light was excellent, low recoil, low pressure, but enough velocity to crush targets.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
If you try the B & P Comp Ones you'd better have loads of extra firing pin protrusion, or they will misfire. I've got lots of guns, vintage and modern, they will not shoot reliably in. Smaller diameter heads than most other shells.

SRH

Are you talking 12ga, Stan? I've only shot them in a couple of different 28ga guns. Zero issues. A guy who likely kills more grouse than anyone I know also uses them in his 28ga and recommends them highly. I've never used them in 12ga, but appreciate the warning if that's where you've had problems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re. B&P 12 ga comp 1 shells. I've shot 2 different lot#s of the 7/8 oz 12 ga Comp 1 load in a Perazzi DC12, 2 different W&S 700 series guns, a Piotti & a CSMC 21 w/o an issue. I did recently hear of someone finding a 12 ga 7/8 oz Comp 1 shell w/o a primer.

I like that load a lot & if there is any difference in the headspace (rim thickness) between the Comp 1 & the 2 1/2" 12 ga High Pheasant which I've also had no issues with & shot a lot of in different 12 ga guns I'm unable to measure it.

Both of those loads are on the Gordon type hull.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
If you try the B & P Comp Ones you'd better have loads of extra firing pin protrusion, or they will misfire. I've got lots of guns, vintage and modern, they will not shoot reliably in. Smaller diameter heads than most other shells.

SRH

Are you talking 12ga, Stan? I've only shot them in a couple of different 28ga guns. Zero issues. A guy who likely kills more grouse than anyone I know also uses them in his 28ga and recommends them highly. I've never used them in 12ga, but appreciate the warning if that's where you've had problems.

Yes, 12 ga. Larry. Comp Ones. I've tried them in an A H Fox BE grade, a Browning BSS, an A H Fox Sterlingworth and a MX8 Perazzi. So far, the only gun that will reliably shoot them is the P gun, and that is based on just a few shells. I'm determined to find one of my vintage doubles that will shoot up these two flats I've got.

See this thread for further info on them. You'll see the problem is not limited to 12 ga. only.

http://forum.foxcollectors.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7773

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/03/18 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
Re. B&P 12 ga comp 1 shells. I've shot 2 different lot#s of the 7/8 oz 12 ga Comp 1 load in a Perazzi DC12, 2 different W&S 700 series guns, a Piotti & a CSMC 21 w/o an issue. I did recently hear of someone finding a 12 ga 7/8 oz Comp 1 shell w/o a primer.

I like that load a lot & if there is any difference in the headspace (rim thickness) between the Comp 1 & the 2 1/2" 12 ga High Pheasant which I've also had no issues with & shot a lot of in different 12 ga guns I'm unable to measure it.

Both of those loads are on the Gordon type hull.

BM, it's not rim thickness, it's diameter that is the culprit. See the above thread link for measurements.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

SRH

Yes, 12 ga. Larry. Comp Ones. I've tried them in an A H Fox BE grade, a Browning BSS, an A H Fox Sterlingworth and a MX8 Perazzi. So far, the only gun that will reliably shoot them is the P gun, and that is based on just a few shells. I'm determined to find one of my vintage doubles that will shoot up these two flats I've got.

See this thread for further info on them. You'll see the problem is not limited to 12 ga. only.

http://forum.foxcollectors.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7773

SRH

Thanks. I've shot probably a flat total in a couple modern 28ga sxs: Parker Repro and B. Rizzini BR 550. No issues. I picked them up initially because of the price (about $80/flat out the door). Then the grouse hunter I know chimed in on the discussion and recommended them highly. He shoots them in an OU--and those sometimes can be sensitive to issues like rim thickness because of their angled firing pins, but he hasn't had any.

I noted that the only 28ga mentioned in the link was a Model 21. Wonder whether it was original Winchester (not many of those!) or, probably more likely, a modern Galazan gun. Although in your case, your problems aren't all in vintage guns.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.