March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, mel5141, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 809 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#528674 11/13/18 08:05 PM
RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is fairly common to epoxy bed scope bases. This got me wondering, why not just permanently solder them on? In my case the action and scope base are both in the white so soldering wouldnt seem to add significant difficulty. Is this a good idea?

Making a custom scope base is not so easy...

Thanks for your input.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At one time it wasn't all that uncommon to soft solder scope bases on,,BUT that was in addition to the screws that normally hold them on.
The soft solder was meant for extra hold,,not to make up for poor fit between the base and the action surface.
Soft solder is a very poor gap filler if you expect any strength or rigidity from it.
It can take quite a bit of recoil all by itself if a good job of sweat soldering is done.
That means a very close fit betw the base and the action surface (or the 1/2 ring and the scope tube as in some Euro claw mt set ups).
You just can't get away from that fact if you are soldering things together.

Using glass bedding compound under scope mt bases is usually to correct poor fit betw that base and the action.
It can also do a good job sticking things together.
It does not showcase top notch workmanship if used for the former reason alone.

Just my view of things..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heat and optics seem like a bad idea to me...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 11/14/18 12:57 PM. Reason: forgot who I was
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Heat and optics seem like a bad idea to me...SelbyLowndes

If it's in reference to the 1/2rings/saddle rings being soldered to the scope tube, they are done before the scope is assembled. Then the tube w/rings is rust blued. Then final assembled.,

There is no problem with simply soldering the bases themselves to an action or bbl (soft solder). Keeping perfect allaignment during the process is tough w/o the benefit of the common screw attachments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Kutter on most points, but for the 1/2 rings, the scope is bore sighted while completely assembled, in order to establish the height of the rear ring. Once the rear ring is fit to the base, the scope is put back into the rings, lined up at the correct location and wired in position. Then witness marks are made with a scribe to allow returning the tube to the correct position after the scope is disassembled and prepped for soldering. During the soldering operation, the tube. rings, and barrel(d receiver) are all held together with wire and positioned IAW the witness marks.
It is easier to align the bases with screws as Kutter says, but if not closely fit, the bases are scrapped to achieve a "tight" joint. Where bases are not screwed, they are scrapped to fit and wired for soldering, aligned as closely as possible( using two pieces of key stock or similar), and then soldered. After the bases are soldered, a "skim" cut is made in a mill, to insure alignment between the bases( not done with screwed bases on bolt guns).
Then, everything is cleaned of solder residue, engraved( as appropriate) and blued. Scope tubes, and bolt guns are not typically rust blued because the solder joints are large enough to withstand the bluing salts( this also removes any solder residue missed in the polishing). Bases on soldered together barrel bundles are rust blued, because the rib joints may not withstand the salts.
Lastly, everything is reassembled and sighted in.
Mike

RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Whoever originally drilled and tapped the receiver didnt do a perfect job. The front pair of holes are okay. I don't like how they did the rear pair of holes. Can I plug weld the back holes and start over?

Sidelock
Sidelock

RyanF,
You can plug weld the holes and re-drill, but you run the risk of making a hard spot, which can cause problems also. Others may have a better solution, I fill such holes (as well as installing a base with .495" spacing where .580" spaced holes were drilled) by plugging with a screw, "loc tited" and tightly peened in and finished off( be sure it doesn't protrude into the bolt race). If the hole won't be covered up, you can lightly countersink it, so the thread won't "run out" to a knife edge and show as a pit. Then you can re-drill and tap the hole in the correct location. Where possible, I try to save one of the original holes. Part of the new hole will be in un disturbed material, and I never had a problem with the screw "holding". I find blue "Loc Tite" is sufficient, if left to cure overnight.
Mike

RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.