March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, Borderbill, cpa, JDH, craigd, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,007
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am tempted by a German Drilling with 65 mm 12 ga barrels over 9.3x74R. I am having difficulty justifying it, however, for hunting in New England and Pennsylvania where small game and deer seasons are not open at the same time.
Any ideas as to how it would be useful? I am concerned, for example, with legal problems with having the rifle barrel in the field, even if I was not carrying rifle ammunition, if I used the Drilling for small game in PA. I have found Game Officers there to be less than understanding.
Similarly, 65 mm 12 ga slugs don't seem available, making it simply a single shot during deer season.

Last edited by vangulil; 11/10/18 11:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use one for coyote hunting it is nearly perfect for tight cover. Mine is a 16/16/6.5x58R Sauer. I load 1 oz on NP BB's for close in coyotes and 90gr HP's in the rifle for those times they hang up out a ways, it will shoot sub MOA at 200 yards. I've been known to put a couple loads of Bismuth 6's in it on the hike back from a coyote stand for Pheasants and Ducks, nice to pop a cottontail for the pot also.

I also have a 16/16/7x57R for big game, where I hunt in the Midwest grouse and snowshoes are open during deer season, so it works well there. I also bought 20 boxes of 2 1/2" 16ga Brenneke's a few years back.

Personally I find the 16ga drilling to be a much nicer handling than those with double 12's up.

Rifles are legal to have in the field for coyotes and other predators in most of the states. In fact one of my buddies was looking seriously at a 20/20/25-35(6.5x52R) for a primary upland gun because he runs into so many coyotes while chasing birds. It got bid up beyond his reach.

I shoot a couple combo guns for coyote hunting also a 12/5.6x50R and 12/22 Savage Highpower(5.6x52R), with a single 12ga barrel they handle pretty nice.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

First I suggest you contact the chief law enforcement officer with the PA Game Commission via letter and include a copy of the photos/drawings of the various types of German firearms. Address your desire to use a drilling or other combination gun legally in PA but indicate your concerns.
We did the same thing in Ohio two years ago and found that the Ohio Division of Wildlife chief law enforcement officer agreed that there was no problem using a combination firearm for hunting deer, etc. as long as only the correct ammo legal for what was being hunted was carried. He then sent a communication to each Supervisor at the five Wildlife District offices and ask them to communicate with all of their game protectors that a combination gun was legal to hunt with as long as the ammunition carried was allowed for the game hunted. Prior to this some of the field officers did not believe it was legal to hunt with a drilling, etc.
Ohio does not allow bottle neck cartridges for deer hunting however after some campaigning by many sportsmen, Ohio agreed to allow an expanded list of straight wall cartridges for deer hunting. Now straight walled rifle cartridges are legal to use from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50.
You are correct that using a combination firearm for small game and deer at the same time may not be legal in some states.
Ohio does not allow small game hunting during the regular firearm deer season- first week. It is legal to hunt feather or fur with a combination gun during the open small game season here. The only exceptions are wild turkeys and waterfowl cannot be hunted with a rifle.
I had a Merkel over/under 16 bore/ 9.3X 72R that I hoped to hunt deer with last year. It was legal to carry and use. I used the Merkel with both a slug in 16 bore and rifle ammo for 9.3X72R. It was a successful hunt with a great memory!
Communicate with the game department and encourage others to do the same if they have a desire to use a combination firearm for hunting in your state.
I wish Ohio would allow the use of bottle neck cartridges for deer hunting.
Someday- maybe??
Good Luck!
Jim

Last edited by ohiochuck; 11/11/18 10:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder how or if the Einstecklauf(insert) works into the Game Commission's equation/plan?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

vangulil,
I suggest you examine the drilling closely for waffenampt stamps that indicate issue to the Luftwaffe. These drillings were chambered in 12ga and 9.3x74R, which was not the most common combination, at the time. If it is a Luftwaffe drilling it would bring a good price, especially if complete with its case and accessories. The first thing to check would be the make, if it is not a Sauer, it is not a Luftwaffe drilling. The booklet put out by Pa. Fish and Wildlife may have the answer to your question. I also find 12 ga. drillings much less responsive than 16 ga.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I decided to proceed further with the Drilling, they will be helpful.

Leonard

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use my Krieghoff drilling for hunting, but I sure would hate to wreck a nice quail hunt by shooting a deer smile

Also
Slugs
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/brenneke...br-p-27773.aspx

Last edited by skeettx; 11/12/18 12:12 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Unfortunately, the drilling that I have been thinking about is a 65 mm 12 ga. Brenneke slugs loaded in 65 mm 12 ga shells seem to be no longer available, just in 65 mm 16 ga.

Last edited by vangulil; 11/12/18 11:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

vangulil,
Check for 67.5mm Brenneke slugs. I have 16 ga Brennekes that I brought back in 1982, and are 67.5mm. They were specifically intended to be useable in both chamber lengths, and so stated on the box. In the case of 12 ga.,I believe the "short" chamber was actually longer than 2 1/2 ". Your problem may be one of misunderstanding. The recent influx of 16 ga. 2 1/2" 65mm shells resulted from specific requests from American users of German guns, not because 67 1/2mm shells weren't useable. If you can find 67 1/2 mm, you might want to give them a try.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are also available from Fiocchi:

Fiocchi Slugs

Gunwolf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.