March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, playing hooky, SKB, 3 invisible), 320 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#527924 11/05/18 06:19 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Noticing that the U.S. location for Jagdhund hunting apparel is in Bessemer Alabama, I cannot help but wonder--how many hunters utilize the green loden outfit? I sometimes feel I am the only one in my part of Texas...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
Most of my Loden is now in pretty bad shape and since I live in Alabama, I got pretty excited by your posting and went right to their site. I was disappointed by the selection( but I understand small demand=small selection), but the main thing was their prices. I can see now why young Germans seem to be moving away from traditional clothing.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, the funny thing is, loden--boiled wool, was originally the clothing of the poorer classes. I got mine through Beretta, but though it was a little more than I wanted to pay, it was way less than half of the Jagdhund prices...so I agree with you there. The best deal I ever got on loden pants was in Austria in the Ferlach gunshop of ____ oh shoot--don't get old it ain't good for ya.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fanjoi--had to look it up.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

May I redirect the discussion to those who may wear loden green in color but NOT in wool construction?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got mine at Waffen Frankonia( now Frankonia Jagd), by shopping in the Wuerzburg store and watching for items that were marked down. This way was pretty economical, where full price there was pretty expensive too.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's amazing how much is for sale on ebay.

Der Ami #528202 11/07/18 07:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Steve,
Most of my Loden is now in pretty bad shape and since I live in Alabama, I got pretty excited by your posting and went right to their site. I was disappointed by the selection( but I understand small demand=small selection), but the main thing was their prices. I can see now why young Germans seem to be moving away from traditional clothing.
Mike

Thing is, the younger Germans are actually getting into wearing traditional clothing - Trachtenmode. E.g.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/world/europe/germany-bavaria-dirndl-lederhosen.html
I saw it a couple years ago in Stuttgart. They had the Fruhlingsfest while I was there (think Oktoberfest in May, but mostly Germans and not tourists). All the kids were going nightly and especially on weekends all done up. Signs in the hair salons encouraging girls to get their hair done in all the braids (and they did). There was Trachtenmode on sale in the department stores. One could get a complete getup for like 200 Euros.
See the same thing in the Munich paper every year come Oktoberfest: articles on what's the fashion in dirndls this year, how to tie the apron (knot on the left hip = single, right hip = got a boyfriend, middle back = widow or waitress, middle front = jungfrau), etc., etc.
I think it's a sign of re-emergence of German-ness and German identity, particularly in the face of "Europe" and the large-scale immigration they've gone through, not only of refugees in the last couple years but also since internal European borders came down and the EU expended eastward. Or it could just be a long-term fad.
As to the loden, it's darned expensive and that might be as good a reason as any for why it's not as popular (if that's the case).

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave in Maine,
Trachtenmode is definitely not traditional hunting clothing. Hunters hardly ever, if ever wore kurzhosen; and then only the hardest core bergjaeger. I hunted with a Bavarian berufjaeger in the Alps and he wore kniebundhosen, just as I did. Wide brim hats were widely available and often worn, but I couldn't find one in the above advertisements. Traditional color was olive green, but grey, brown,
or black were acceptable. Red or hunter orange were considered an insult to the other hunters "ansprechen" ability; but is now required at some hunts. It is all distressing to this old Jaeger. Maybe the revival of the old traditions will bleed over to the hunters clothing.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 11/08/18 03:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, you would be a good German! wink Here are the two best sellers of Loden clothes and accessories :

Hubertus Loden

Waldkauz

They offer very functional style Loden.
Of course there are also still several traditional manufacturers, especially in Bavaria and Austria.

Gunwolf

Last edited by Gunwolf; 11/08/18 06:03 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.