March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 3 invisible), 352 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#525875 10/12/18 06:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know how the RST spreaders perform in a cylinder bore barrel? Do they require constriction to throw a full pattern? As always, thank you for any advice... I'm trying to pick a gun for the first day of grouse and woodcock. I have RST #6s and RST spreaders in #7.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You wont see any difference in cylinder bore, you need constriction for them to throw an open pattern.

Last edited by RARiddell; 10/12/18 07:11 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you sir

RARiddell #525899 10/12/18 09:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
You wont see any difference in cylinder bore, you need constriction for them to throw an open pattern.

Do you have proof of that, RA? I have never understood that to be the case. It goes against the concept I have of how spreaders work.

Not being argumentative, just really interested. I go through a lot fo spreaders in a year.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Do you have proof of that, RA? I have never understood that to be the case. It goes against the concept I have of how spreaders work.

Not being argumentative, just really interested. I go through a lot fo spreaders in a year.

SRH

Hey Stan, it's from research and patterning and experience. I know, read everything with a grain of salt,and every user has different results. But I do use them and they preform better in my tighter choked barrels, I won't say certainty you can't get a more open pattern with cylinder but I feel its negligible considering the type of shooting involved. For me at least the difference in tighter choked barrels is significant compared to the use in cylinder or bore. I know what I posted was a blanket statement but based on the different test preformed out there and what I've experienced the result are pretty much the same. Just my two cents on a very broad and sometimes controversial subject!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me spreaders through a cylinder bore might result in excessive spread. But I have to admit I've never patterned spreaders through a cylinder bore. Nor have I compared cylinder to barrels that have dispersion rifling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a rabbit target set on my home course right now that is VERY close. It's really a "dumb" presentation, IMO, as no-one in their right mind would shoot game that close. But, there it is. I normally shoot .020" and .020" fixed chokes and use a spreader for the close stuff. In this case I've been using another gun for the rabbit, with a cylinder bored tube, and a Fiocchi Interceptor spreader. It seems to be working for me. I'll just be glad when they get rid of that presentation. I'd rather shoot a 50 yard hard crosser, on edge, than a rabbit target that's less than 10 yards away.

I'll try to shoot a few out of the cylinder bored gun on the plate, and take some pics, sometime.

Thanks for the reply, RA.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey no problem, I would like to see the results as well! I have a few RST and Polywd, I'll do the same, what would be your parameters as I will repeat them!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have observed little to no difference in IC choke using my home loaded spreaders.
With 16 gauge spreader loads in improved modified barrel I get a nice modified pattern.
So, I am in the group that thinks you need substantial choke to see a difference with spreader loads

Your results may vary.

RARiddell #525957 10/13/18 09:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey no problem, I would like to see the results as well! I have a few RST and Polywd, I'll do the same, what would be your parameters as I will repeat them!

Three shots with cylinder tube installed, with regular 1 oz. loads, photographed individually.

Then, three shots with same tube and Fiocchi Interceptor 1 oz. loads, photographed individually.

Then, three shots with cylinder tube installed and Kent Spreaders, 1 oz. load, photographed individually.

That ought to let us know how a spreader works out of a cylinder bored gun.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 10/13/18 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.