April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dave Weber, Dan S. W., Argo44, earlyriser, canvasback, Borderbill), 441 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,806
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#525863 10/12/18 05:23 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How does one evaluate the safety of an old SxS double gun which has several pitts on the inside of both barrels just ahead of the chambers? Rest of the barrel is shiny and appears OK. I know, " have a reliable gunsmith check it" But what does measuring wall thickness tell you? Gun is nitro proofed. Belgian, steel, 12g. with 2 5/8" chambers and from the proofs, was made in the 1900 to 1910 era. I have shot RST low brass shells thru it but now am worried. The pits appear as small black dots. I would welcome opinions!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Measuring wall thickness lets you know if there is enough steel to hold the pressure generated from the shotshell, and yes you should have it checked out. Yes its nitro proofed, but that was in 1900, its now 2018!

Last edited by RARiddell; 10/12/18 05:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having had a set of damascus barrels honed for removal of pits, and seeing how little he had to remove to get rid off all but one of them completely, I would just have to say you need to rely on the services of Mike Orlen, or someone in his expertise range with barrels. (Maybe Dean at Skeet's in Tahlequah, OK?) He can evaluate them and tell you if he thinks they will clean up with a light hone, then if you want him to he can do them while they're there.

JMO, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

But the issue here, aside from wall thickness, is trying to determine how deep the pits are. You may have adequate wall thickness on initial measurement but if you can't get to the bottom of the pits you aren't getting an accurate assessment. Honing the barrels until the pits are gone may leave you with walls that are now too thin.

Edit-saw Stan's response just as I submitted mine.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 10/12/18 06:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scroll down about 1/4 here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIo0y746UsSRZIgRuuxwAbZjSBHitO_EanvwLYc-kGA/edit

Proper evaluation requires an experienced barrel smith, a high quality bore scope and wall thickness gauge.

Superficial pitting just past the forcing cone is very common (looking toward the breech)

Linear erosions just past the forcing cone are much more worrisome (looking toward the muzzle)

IF the wall thickness is adequate, and an experienced smith believes the pits to be superficial by direct observation with a bore scope, I would not remove metal in the critical proximal 9" of barrel. I have had pits removed further down the barrel and as Stan observed sometimes very little honing is effective.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To be a bit more precise, the barrels I had Orlen hone looked way better than the two photos in Drew's post. I probably wouldn't even consider a set that looked that bad. But, I don't have nearly as much experience in it as some others.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dug out a couple more barrel remains. It is hard to get a good image, but the point is that without a quality bore scope, it is impossible to really know what the bore looks like; both looking toward the breech from just past the forcing cones

Sidelock
Sidelock

A bore gauge such as Jon Hosford's is able to get accurate measurements to the bottom of pits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That depends entirely on the size/taper of the pin, and mostly by feel fortuitously getting the pin in the correct pit, and to the bottom of that pit

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pits in a barrel are like cavities in a tooth.

Damascus barrel pits could even be hidden flaws in the steel that has shown up from years of use and developed into a cavity.

Once rust starts there is no really stopping it...especially inside a small crevice inside of a thin steel tube that's exposed to high pressures, fire, heat, suet then lined with plastic wash and lead.

Pitted barrels are notoriously hard to clean.

Anyone that tells you they can measure the depth of a pit or even evaluate the safeness of shooting a gun with pitted barrels...is to put it mildly full of sheep chit.

You like the gun buy it...shoot it...take your chances.

Only thing you might loose is a finger or an eYe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.