May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (bushveld, SKB, KDGJ, Mr W martin), 1,056 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,510
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 52 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 51 52
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's said of resurrection as foundation of Christian faith is true, Greg. There are thousands of notions of faith within Christianity and thousands more within other religions. One of Canada's most distinguish commentators, Michael Enright, said on his Sunday national radio program "the Catholic Church is the biggest criminal organization in the world"---and no one said boo. The church is changing too fast for many and too slow for others. Changing from earlier taught, yes. Infallibility? Benedict says "Who am I to judge."

It's not for me to say why Dad was accepted. His friend and mentor, Msgr Francis Smyth, told me at baptism that my father knew more about the Church than he "and I studied for seven years in Rome."My guide in these matters is Northrop Frye, Canadian ordained minister and author of The Great Code, the Bible and Literature, and considered one of the most influential literary critics and literary theorists of the 20th century. I commend one of his quotes to you:

"The knowledge you can have is inexhaustible, and what is inexhaustible is benevolent. The knowledge you cannot have is of the riddles of birth and death, of our future destiny and the purposes of God. Here there is no knowledge, but illusions that restrict freedom and limit hope. Accept the mystery behind knowledge: it is not darkness but shadow."

My three sons married Catholics. Their eight children were raised as Catholics, and their eight children are Catholics. I live in an Acadian parish where the priest counselled tubal ligation for families too large to provide properly for their children. Unlike the mostly deferential Irish, the French take their priest on when they think he is wrong. Your spiritual community may do things differently, Greg. I doubt it would accuse our Acadians as failed or bullshitters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
....Tell me how effective overall and cost effective specifically banning pot and other recreational drugs have been. Seems to me we've wasted a bunch of money, anyone who wanted to do them does them and we have created, by allowing the black market to exist, the richest, most powerful criminal organizations in history.

Yeah, that's been real good policy. LOL

I'd agree, it's a laugher. But, not at all because of the banning itself, but the will to enforce the ban. Everyone, or nearly, speeds, but there're no serious calls to throw out speed limits. While it may not seem so, a speed limit sign is a deterrent and nothing says oh crap like seeing blue lights in the rear view mirror. Like I mentioned, I can completely understand the libertarian point of view, but the real lol is that this recreational drug use is victimless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
....I doubt it would accuse our Acadians as failed or bullshitters.

Maybe not, but can they be accused of being Catholic?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good one craigd!

I dunno, King. That Frye guy sounds like a bigger dumbass than Gurnall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good one, indeed. I don't know the answer, craig. Would Jesus say I want thinking followers not by rote in a changing church abiding by the overarching injunction to love? What do you think? I'm like Amos wandering in the desert plucking wild figs, looking for answers. Frye is a big help to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Religion has always been about controlling people...with religion somewhat lost the next logical step is to control people with drugs. Controlling people with drugs was tried in an African country...for a short time.

Think about it get them stoned and they won't have a care in the world.

Start executing drug smugglers and dealers and it will solve the drug problem in short order...putting them in jail is not cost effective and doesn't work when you have a scum bag Democrat setting them free.

Why any person of sound mind could think that legalizing a drug is the answer to a drug problem is beyond me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here ya' go LR

William Gurnall The Christian in Complete Armour
We fear men so much, because we fear God so little. One fear cures another.

1 Timothy 1:15 "Christ Jesus came to save sinners"
Not to establish a church by which we can be saved, nor a religion (from the Latin religare "to bind together with an oath"), but to make born again disciples who obey His (and the Apostles' by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) teachings (Matthew 28:19-20) given in the Bible...most of which are pretty clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can admit when Im wrong. Gurnall is definitely a bigger dumbass than Frye.

Shootout in Dallas tonight. Toronto 5 Dallas 3 end of second.

keith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think we all understand what you are saying King.

You are saying that you cannot come up with even one practicing Catholic priest or cleric at St. Francis Xavier, or anywhere else for that matter, who would verify your bullshit and tell us that the Catholic Church was founded on a lie.

It would be the greatest hoax in all history, if true. Literally billions of believers, living and dead, laymen, and Priests, and Nuns, and Friars, and Ministers, Cardinals, Bishops, and Popes who dedicated their lives to worship and reverence for a fraud. A Messiah who wasn't... a Savior who was just another fraud.

And yet you tell us that your Father knew all of this... he knew more about the massive fraud than his mentor, Fr. Smyth... yet he wanted to join anyway!

There are a small fraction of rogue priests who went way beyond counseling tubal ligation. They advised children to keep quiet about sexual abuse. That certainly doesn't make them practitioners of another notion of faith. Greg knows, as do I, that adult converts to Catholicism are asked a series of questions pertaining to their beliefs prior to Baptism. It is called the Renunciation of Sin and Profession of Faith. There are no regional differences that make disbelief in the Resurrection an acceptable option... or as you have stated in the past of your Father's conversion... "ahead of his time."

You've been wandering in the desert alright. But those cow pies you are dishing out aren't wild figs. Twice I saw you log in to make a reply, and you logged out without submitting anything. The truth rolls off the tongue easily, but it takes time to craft a good lie... to explain away another lie.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hes checking both ways before crossing the trolley tracks. Or looking up another dumbass Frye quote.

Page 40 of 52 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.