April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, eeb, skeettx, 1 invisible), 524 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,082
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, I like the invisible wraps and the reel seat with the Half Wells grip. Did you use silk thread? I usually tip my wraps with another color. I used marine spar varnish with a camel brush for non impregnated rods.
I haven't made a rod in years, but I used to buy the bamboo blanks when they were reasonable. I found it hard to find the best cork to make the grips and can't remember the grade but it might have been A. Still have quite a few components but would need a magnifier to wrap and smooth finger tips for using silk.

David

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

David,
The thread I used was white silk which became clear when the coating was applied. I had wrapped rods in the past (glass and graphite) with heavier nylon but never with silk. Despite being thinner it was strong with no breaks. The big advantage of invisible wraps is not just the thread is invisible, but any gaps and overlaps between windings are also invisible. I did my best, avoided gaps and over wraps and also burnished which really wasn't necessary. About half the class opted for the single foot as opposed to the snake guides. Those that chose snakes were grumbling at their choice two hours into the step. Having wrapped rods before I knew what we were up against as it is tedious and precise and we had to get through the task by 4 pm that day so that the wraps could be coated. I've never wrapped a rod completely in one day as I always gave it a break and spread it out over a few days. The true colors of personalities surfaced as the air turned blue with curses, mutters and groans as the frustrations of rod wrapping, especially the snake wrappers and those who chose colors, became apparent, such as pulling the loop without the winding thread, cutting the windings instead of the tag, etc. Gil

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'll post another meal, not from last night but 10 days ago. Pheasant with chestnuts from our Japanese chestnut tree. French - "Faisan aux marrons". with stewed apple and potatoes roasted with the pheasant. Squirrels have made off with most of the chestnuts now. Gene

Last edited by Argo44; 10/11/18 08:09 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Chestnut fed squirrels would likely be the bomb-just sayin'.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never had the privilege of eating a Chesnut fed squirrel. I have eaten them fed on hickory nuts, acorns, beechnuts, dogwood berries, poplar mast & I can't really recall what else. A young frying size squirrel was always high on my preference of game to eat though, so there is little doubt in my mind a Chesnut fed one would be delicious.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene the food looks amazing! Gil I'm really jealous and want to hear more about the spot oyster has at blue ridge please sir

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Genevieve doesn't cook as much as she did - claims she got burned out making diplomatic dinners. But tonight she made Maigret de Canard al orange (duck breast with an orange sauce).

Last edited by Argo44; 11/02/18 10:03 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo, Could you post a recipe for that? I'll be ducking in the rain tomorrow morning. Who knows, I might even get lucky!

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know about Argo's recipe, but the easiest glaze for duck breasts is probably a few spoons of orange marmalade and some chardonnay in a sauce pan, reduce it slowly until it begins to thicken and then throw a big pat of real butter into it. The butter enriches the flavor and gives it a very nice sheen.

My favorite is Smucker's apricot preserves reduced with Jack Daniel's and the big butter pat. Dead nuts simple to execute and it will amaze your friends.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I asked for the recipe but there's something about the French; they'll almost never give you the whole recipe on anything...they'll always leave something out. Her response...."Next time I make it, you can do it and write it down."

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.