March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Licensed to kill, Little Creek, FallCreekFan, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Argo44), 803 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#524691 10/01/18 11:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What would make the color casing of an LC Smith turn out predominantly grey in color? Iron had good colors, but frame and side plates were dark, grey, and a bit of a copper hue in spots.

I witnessed the process at school, and the process usually produces good results. Two attempts have been made with this same outcome, and wondering might be the cause.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been reading all I can on CCH as I am going to attempt it as well.

Do you have any air exposure before water quench?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a thread mentioned here that was on the Marlin collectors site that started out with gray and non-existent colors. Then changes were made that yeilded better results. I thinknit was aeratingthe quench.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Travis S
Do you have any air exposure before water quench?

Nope. The guy went straight from the furnace and dropped the load.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I think he is asking if the frame could have been exposed to air during the dunk. The parts must remain inside the oxygen free environment until they enter the water. The same thing happened to some parts I did at school. The next run we put them deeper into the pack and they colored well. I have talked to some professionals well and if a part gets hung up in the crucible the same thing happens. The transfer from the crucible to the water has to be really fast with no chance of the parts being exposed to air. Hope that helps.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks SKB that is what I was asking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was having the same trouble with an LC smith 00 and fixed it by using a bit larger 4in diameter crucible as well as packing scraps of steel around the receiver without touching it. The scraps of steel I use are shaped similar to the side plates. I felt like the problem of getting mostly grey was because the coal was not staying around the receiver and air was coming in contact as it fell into the quench. By having a larger crucible there is more coal ensuring that it stays surrounded by coal as it cools in the quench as it drops. Someone I know recommend the steel scraps and it really made a difference as well as mimics the splash which probably occurred at the factory as I would expect they colored many receivers at one time. I am by no means an expert at this but have really learned a lot by trial and error and found this to help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My crucible is a thin mild steel box with a square that just fits inside it acting as the lid. I seal the seams with clay.

I use normal BBQ charcoal which i think must be contaminated with something to make it light easier; anyway this honks like an oil refinery till the contamination has burnt off.. So i open my door and windows to get a goo through draft for ventilation and leave it too it just keeping an eye open in case of fire.

You would think i would stop using it but i have always got excellent results with it and its a lot less hassle and expense than bone charcoal and charred leather and such other such stuff.

The quench is a 55 gallon drum of rain water from the workshop roof which i put a couple of bags of ice in and then shove the air line into for 5 minutes or so before hand.

As for conducting the quench i see lots of clever systems for removing the lid and tipping the crucible; again i have not found this to be necessary. I have a long iron to withdraw the crucible from the furnace with. The crucible with the lid sealed on with the clay is submitted whole into the quench and swirled around. The pressure usually blows the lid off.

The key is to keep the charcoal in contact with the metal parts and also for them not to be exposed to air. My method solves both of these issues.

I will link some pictures of my CCH results from two previous projects.

Im not saying im an expert just that someone getting in to it might learn something from my method and someone who already does it might too. Its all about learning. I seem to get a lot of blues and yelows and straws sometimes some greens

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 10/08/18 04:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

cch by james reynolds, on Flickr

edit - The grey colour on the handle of the RTO tool was because it didn't quite fit in the little crucible i had made and poked out the corner ( sealed with clay ) so obviously it scaled up - Since this was my first time playing with CCH process and that tang would be covered by a handle anyway i wasn't too bothered.

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 10/08/18 04:34 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I have gathered information about CCH over the last few years, in preparation of "taking the plunge" myself, pardon the pun, I have often wondered why you couldn't just drop the crucible into the quench, as you described. But, then I wondered that, if cold water is supposed to be better, maybe the water that entered the crucible after the lid came off would be warmed so much upon entering that it wouldn't give the desired effect. Evidently not, by your nice results. Any thoughts on that?

Any way you could post some pics of your crucible?

Thanks, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.