May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (RWG, bushveld, Tyler, Borderbill), 732 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,595
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Jack Rowe videos make it seem relatively simple to do without a jig. Is this unrealistic? I have a cheap Turkish gun that needs a bit more castoff and drop, but I certainly don't want to break it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What kind of American walnut?

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bending is an art and a science. Each piece of wood is a wonder and a mystery. Bending slower has given me good results. American Walnut is/has been a frustration and a delight. It is not rocket science....but it does take patience and a willingness to be attentive to what you are doing.

The process used by Jack Rowe is and has been very effective. One really needs to practice on gunstocks other than customers guns... FWIW.

Last edited by DES/TSD; 09/20/18 12:03 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis - that is why I sent you the Greener but might try the Huglu myself!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just my understanding...the wood resins binding the fibers soften with heat, allowing slippage of the bonds when bending. Woods have different fibers and resins and ratios of those components. If the resin isn't heated enough to allow slippage of the bond, the wood springs back. Since the heat is from the outside, inner areas may not be heated enough and they retain their stress. When the stock sets for a while, those stresses may pull the stock toward the original dimension. I've had good luck in longer duration heating when springback was a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck built a very nice bending jig years ago. A search might recover pics of it, along with an excellent tutorial.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Chuck built a very nice bending jig years ago. A search might recover pics of it, along with an excellent tutorial.

SRH

I'd like to see that too. I've bent a stock (Evans), but it has been a while and I could use a refresher. I have a fairly massive jig up in the rafter of the loft somewhere that I need to bring down and clean up.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
What kind of American walnut?

I'd assume that American Walnut is any species or cultivar of walnut grown in America.

As Miller stated, most Lefevers were stocked in English Walnut, but it is said that some that were assembled by Ithaca after they bought the Lefever name in 1916 were built with stocks made of Black Walnut. I seem to recall than at least some L.C. Smith guns were built with French Walnut blanks. And of course, French Walnut is just English Walnut (Juglans Regia) that was grown in France. Most Fox and Ithaca guns appear to be Black Walnut, but I don't know where those makers sourced their wood.

There are several species of walnut trees grown in America including some hybrids. English Walnut is considered the very best species for gunstocks because of various characteristics including strength, density, ease of machining or carving, and ability to take fine checkering. But those characteristics can also depend upon things like the soil and climate where the tree was grown, how it was cut, dried, seasoned, etc. I have no personal experience with bending walnut stocks, so I couldn't comment on which species is most amenable to taking a bend without either breaking or rebounding.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

American Walnut is Juglans Nigra, Eastern Black Walnut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_nigra

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Juglans Nigra is Eastern Black Walnut. Period. There are several other walnut species native to North America, and some native to South America.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.