April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dan R, Kolar Dickson, Jimmy W, Dave Weber, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 229 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,990
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#523414 09/19/18 11:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From my reading, knife makers use muriatic acid on bare damascus blades. Their methods produce fantastic contrast, without texturing the surface. They also use ferric chloride, depending on the blades material concentration.

What about that process makes it unsuited for damascus barrels? I don't see muriatic acid discussed as viable, but I do not understand why that is the case.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Maybe it's too hard to get out of it's hiding places, or to "kill" it. Or maybe it does bad things to solder.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Though the acid will etch and show the pattern, it does nothing for protecting the metal finish like bluing would.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

OH! Come on people that name for Hydrochloric Acid went out of use the same time we stopped using leaches for high blood pressure.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Graham
....Their [knife makers] methods produce fantastic contrast, without texturing the surface....

I think if the blades of decent 'damascus' knives are looked over and felt, there might be quite a bit of texturing. I have noticed stronger acids used to make rustic finishes, ferric chloride might be used quite diluted with multiple exposures and finishing to get to the desired look. Only thoughts and the pool acid could be diluted, but slower might be a bit better.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Some browning solutions use Hydrochloric acid as well as Ferric Chloride. From the damascus knives I have seen it looks like they omit the browning and just etch. Some people pre-etch damascus tubes thinking it brings out the pattern better, I do not. I try to keep the etch to a minimum. My browning solution contains ferric chloride and I believe that the solution itself gives some contrast. I find browning to be a bit frustrating but rewarding at the same time.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
B. Dudley #523473 09/20/18 10:19 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Though the acid will etch and show the pattern, it does nothing for protecting the metal finish like bluing would.

Good point. Once you etch off the bluing from the steel portion surfaces, there isn't much bluing left, depending on the iron/steel ratio.

SKB #523475 09/20/18 10:23 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Some people pre-etch damascus tubes thinking it brings out the pattern better, I do not.

I agree with you.

My browning solution contains ferric chloride and I believe that the solution itself gives some contrast.

Do you mix your own, or buy off the shelf? If you buy, what do you use?

I find browning to be a bit frustrating but rewarding at the same time.

More than a bit frustrating.

craigd #523476 09/20/18 10:25 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: B. Graham
....Their [knife makers] methods produce fantastic contrast, without texturing the surface....

Only thoughts and the pool acid could be diluted, but slower might be a bit better.

I'll try some scrap, with varying dilutions, and see what happens. I've got a set now that's been completely blued, no pattern.

damascus #523478 09/20/18 10:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
OH! Come on people that name for Hydrochloric Acid went out of use the same time we stopped using leaches for high blood pressure.

We still use the leaches here and muriatic acid is a common labeling for off the shelf stuff at stores like HomeDepot and Lowes DIY type stores.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crown-1-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid/3024039

It'll bring the pattern up as will most any acid. It'll etch as well just like any acid will. Some more & quicker than others.

I still blue or brown and bring out the pattern w/a very weak ferric chloride dunk, rinse and wet carding betw rusting cycles.
It's not fast but it's not a knife blade either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.