April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (KDGJ, AGS, Oberndorf, jake van dyke, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have any trouble thinking doc...you know my hunting dog passed too but I'm not going to use him to get sympathy.

But unlike some know it all copy and pasters I have shot bismuth shells hand loaded and factory bismuth shells out of a Damascus barreled guns and several newer guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

I cOuld be lying ya' knOw.

No doubt in my mind. I'll assume you were trolling for a reply again. They say confession is good for the soul. How many tears did you cry to get this thread locked, when the ploy to use your deceased dog for sympathy and diversion blew up in your face like a set of badly pitted barrels plugged with mud?

How to Besmirch the memory of your dead dog

I realize that detente is supposed to be a little more snarky, but I'm still learning how it's done.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got my doubts about him even owning a dog.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe: I know how much thinkin' hurts, but try to follow the dots

I'm willy willy good at following da dOts Doc....

....dOc sAid he knows when eYe think it huts....

.....that's his nice Christian way of say'n he thinks I'm a heAthen reee...tard....

.......Dr.Drew loves his Damascus.....

....dOc loves to talk and dream about Damascus....

....Dr. Drew told me he did nOt own or shoot any Damascus guns....

....dOc is a master on internet research and copy n pasting making dumb people think he discovered something....

....I bet ol'dOc has sore fingers from copy an pAst'n his internet ree'search.....

...dOc thinks that kicking and scream'n on the internet call'n folks liars is the proper Christian way and some how makes him look like the superior mOnkey....

....did I miss any dOtz dOc ?

....PS....dOc I wish you could see me when I paint be'twingst the lines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IF the box of the shells to which claycrusher is referring is marked
These cartridges are suitable for use in:
70mm case length: Guns with a chamber length of 2 3/4” or longer, nitro proofed to a service pressure of 3 1/4 tons per square inch (900 kg per square cm)
We can believe the shell maker

10,800 psi however is not what the British consider to be 3 1/4 Tons, which I assume is the service pressure for which claycrusher's gun is proved

Drew, I think we may have discussed the guidance on British shotshell boxes previously. Unfortunately, that guidance contains a fairly significant disconnect. We know that 3 1/4 tons, as stated on the box, is a service pressure measurement. However, we also know that 900 kg per square cm is NOT a service pressure measurement, but rather a proof pressure measurement. The British, even after converting to metric marks, continued to use proof pressures that were, in fact, lead crusher values. 850 bar, per the Birmingham Proofhouse, equates to a SAAMI proof pressure of 13,920 psi, and a service pressure of 10,730 psi. If we go by the more recent (metric) figure and increase those values based on 900kg or bar, we arrive at a service pressure which is just shy of 11,400 psi--bumping up against the 12ga SAAMI service pressure figure of 11,500 psi.

All of which leaves some doubt in my mind. I own an Alex Martin 20ga, original proof 2 1/2", 7/8 oz. It has since been reproofed and properly marked as 2 3/4", 3 1/4 tons. Should I shoot my Gamebore Pure Gold 1 oz 2 3/4" loads in that gun? Going by the 3 1/4 ton reference on the box and my gun's 3 1/4 ton proof, I would seem to be good to go. IF that gun carried the 900 bar (or kg) mark of a more recent 20ga reproof, I might do so. But given the gun's age and extremely light weight (under 5 1/2 pounds), I think I'd stick with the Gamebore Traditional Game loads made for 2 1/2" guns, service pressure 3 tons (850 kg/sq cm). Or even better, I might opt for RST 7/8 oz factory loads.

The two different service/proof pressures do leave a degree of doubt . . . but I'd sooner err on the side of caution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As always thanks Larry...I just wish us and the Brits spoke the same language frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know about the pressure in these shells, but I was completely unimpressed with their killing power on Blue-winged Teal in a 20 gauge.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

As always thanks Larry...I just wish us and the Brits spoke the same language frown

Drew, I think they're still trying to get even with us for the Revolution!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am reminded why I dont visit this forum much anymore. So many ready and willing to share, a few always looking to tear down and trash talk. Ill check in again next year.

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
jOe: I know how much thinkin' hurts, but try to follow the dots

I'm willy willy good at following da dOts Doc....

....dOc sAid he knows when eYe think it huts....

.....that's his nice Christian way of say'n he thinks I'm a heAthen reee...tard....

.......Dr.Drew loves his Damascus.....

....dOc loves to talk and dream about Damascus....

....Dr. Drew told me he did nOt own or shoot any Damascus guns....

....dOc is a master on internet research and copy n pasting making dumb people think he discovered something....

....I bet ol'dOc has sore fingers from copy an pAst'n his internet ree'search.....

...dOc thinks that kicking and scream'n on the internet call'n folks liars is the proper Christian way and some how makes him look like the superior mOnkey....

....did I miss any dOtz dOc ?

....PS....dOc I wish you could see me when I paint be'twingst the lines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rogers has them on sale guys

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.