April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (bushveld, j7l2, eeb, Hugh Lomas, 3 invisible), 219 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - An interesting 458 Win Mag

I brought this over from another forum hoping someone here might help.

This came about a couple days ago when a friend called to tell me about a Custom 458 Win Mag with a short barrel. It was sale at a local Gun Shop. He knew I collected 458s and thought I might be interested. As you might expect, you don't find many 458 rifles for sale here in Wisconsin.

The rifle's barrel was marked; "Made in Belgium" & "Chrome Vanadium Barrel" & "cal 458" and had typical Liege Proofs marks. It was built on a vintage FN Commercial barrelled action with all the numbers matching; Receiver, Bolt, Barrel, and Bottom metal; they all matched. It had nearly 98% of its original bright blue finish. It has a very fine Sako Trigger w/ side safety, a nicely checkered Laminated stock with 3 reinforcing cross-bolts, a "White-Line" Mershon Co. recoil pad, a checkered Grip Cap, and an Ebony Forend Tip. The Barrel was cut-down to 19-7/8" from some unknown longer length and nicely crowned. The overall length of of the rifle was just under 40 inches. It has Sights consisting of a Long-Slide Lyman No. 48 Peep Sight at the rear, and a Gold Bead Ramped Sight at the front. There is a filler block in the mid-barrel island where a rear sight could go. It weighs a "somewhat light" 8 pounds 2 ounces, with a 13-1/2" LOP. It holds 3 down, and 1 up. In addition, the Reciever, Trigger Guard, and Floor Plate are tastefully "Floral Engraved". All this, for the "walk-out-door" price of only $650. So, as you might expect, it followed me home.

So here's a question for the Forum members. Any idea who built this rifle? The rear sight filler block has the initials "R.C.P." and ".458". I'm assuming that R.C.P. is this rifle's builder because the man who commissioned this rifle to be custom made (now deceased) doesn't have those initials. I also found "R C Pace" (?) penciled in the barrel channel.

Anyone know of a gunsmith with the initials; "R.C.P." or "R.C. Pass" ? ..... Please Help.

As always, your comments are most welcome.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

continued...

Sidelock
Sidelock

maybe

R.C.Pace Weaponry Sales

50 N. 3rd AV.
Fruitport, MI 49415

(616) 865-6355

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
maybe

R.C.Pace Weaponry Sales

50 N. 3rd AV.
Fruitport, MI 49415

(616) 865-6355

Hello PhysDoc

Thanks for the reply.

Well, maybe. But when called, I get a message that says "that number is no longer in service".

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello skeettx,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I saw that. Those phone numbers go unanswered, or don't work, and no reply to emails thru their site, and direct emails to the adress posted come back "undelivered" and not active.

Sometimes these internet pages go on long after the business quits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, maybe it was the right place. Maybe the owner is retired but still alive. Maybe now that you've created this thread, a former employee or customer might find it and add something to it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello PhysDoc,

Thanks for the reply.

I sure hope so.

I researched another rifle a week ago. It was marked FRYS Gun Shop. I found the business in Terre Haute, Indiana listed on Google. I called the number and talked with the owner. He said he went out of business in 2004.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
maybe

R.C.Pace Weaponry Sales

50 N. 3rd AV.
Fruitport, MI 49415

(616) 865-6355

Hello PhysDoc,

Thanks for your reply.

I finally contacted R.C.Pace. Nope, not them.

However, I think I solved the mystery of how this rifle came to be. Someone, (likely R.C.P.) "assembled" this rifle in the late 1960's to early 1970's through components from Herters in Waseca, Minn., or they special ordered the rifle direct from Herters with its current configuration. A 1966 Herters catalog shows all the components, and information contained in the catalog indicates that they offer services to build complete rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, if it came from Herter's you know it's the best of the best--if you didn't know it, their advertising would certainly tell you so!

That little snark aside, while the cosmetic styling does nothing for me (and I'm from and in California!), the components are certainly excellent and your "little big gun" would be a real confidence builder if a fella just had to spend time in big bear country. I suspect that's what it was made for.

I had a Rem 721 in .300 H&H that guy had sawed off for bear repellent duty once and I like your .458 a lot better for the purpose.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.