May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (Jimmy W, Hammergun, CJF, Ian Forrester, DAM16SXS, 3 invisible), 568 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,592
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been told that Fox Sterlingworth stocks cannot be successfully bent due to the use of American Walnut. Graded Fox's are more amenable to bending due to the use of English Walnut. Do you all concur?

If American walnut is not amenable to bending, does that therefor mean that stock's of L.C.Smith's, Lefever's, Winchester M21 and 23, Ithaca, and Parker's cannot be successfully bent? I don't know what wood was used to stock these guns-just assuming it's American Walnut.

On a slight tangent-does bending a stock negatively impact the gun's collector value?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

The answer regarding American Walnut is yes and no. I just successfully bent a 20g. Sterlingworth. It was difficult and required more pressure than I am comfortable with and it took two sessions to get it where I needed it to be. It had three inches of drop. On the other hand I have had Parkers and Ithacas that I could not budge. I have bent a few field grade LC Smiths. I guess you have to try and take the risk of breaking a stock. I have been lucky so far.

Cast on cast off is easier and you can probably bend most guns.

How would anyone know if your gun stock was bent? It may have come that way so no, I don't think it hurts value. It opens the gun to a broader market so it may actually enhance the value since both shooters and non-using collectors can both buy it.

So many guns, so little time!
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had my Parker repro 12 bent and it was successful. They used hot oil to soften the wood and then refinished that area of the stock.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 20-ga. Sterlingworth, its original stock had a 14" LOP and a 2 3/4" d@h. I sent it to Mike Orlen requesting that he bend it up as much as he felt comfortable. It was returned having 2 3/8" d@h. It stayed.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I have been told that Fox Sterlingworth stocks cannot be successfully bent due to the use of American Walnut.

My sample of one says that the rumors are correct. I have a Sterly 12 that I took to a nationally known and highly respected gunsmith to have the stock bent. He did not hesitate to bend it or to charge me for the bend, even though he blew out a big chunk of walnut alongside the top tang. Would have been salvageable if he had not glued the chunk back, badly, with what looks like Acraglass. No easy way to get a good glue line now, so it just sits in the case waiting for a solution. That was the second time he completely botched a wood repair and the last time I used him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Every stock is unique. I tried bending a Black Walnut using a setup designed by another poster on this board using hot oil and heat lamps. It bent only to return to its original bend. Tried it again and left it in the clamps for a full week. Within two months it was back where it started from. On the third attempt it broke. Maybe I was too aggressive that time or three bends and you are out. Another Sterlingworth bent easily and held the bend. Both looked to have similar grain flow in the wrist. So one worked and the other did not. Its not impossible to find a Sterlingworth take off stock so it may be that be worth a try. But if the grain flow is not good in the wrist, or has any type of knots or weird grain flow, I would not try it.

Do a search on this site to see a couple setups to try. Not hard to make if you have a little wood working skills.

Last edited by KY Jon; 09/12/18 07:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Several bending jigs, and Mike Orlen's technique here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16314697

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure about all the other makes you mentioned, but Lefever /Arms Co catalogs all state their guns are stocked in European Walnut. Although I admit to not being a walnut expert this does appear to be the case with the ones I have, all the way down through the H grades. I don't have a DS or I grade to look at.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I made a jig years ago from someone who posted on here. A Remington would bend like butter - and go right back. Other would bend and stay. I've cracked a couple by not paying enough attention to the grain flow in the wrist area. A friend throws a couple bags of shot on the barrels. From the trigger guard back it hangs over the bench with a bag of shot on the butt end. A couple of heat lamps and a oil soaked rag around the stock does it. He just keeps busy in the shop and watches the stock to see if it will bend. When it gets to what he wants he turns the lamps off. He's never broke a stock yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.