April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (FallCreekFan, Ian Forrester, Lloyd3, Bob Jurewicz, Chantry, 1 invisible), 369 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Travis S
Kutter mentioned breaking a screwdriver bit. This is no problem compared to losing the bushing.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith what are you good penetrating oil recommendations?

Thanks

Travis

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have the wood off submerge it in a bucket of kerosene with some transmission fluid mixed in. Cheaper than Kroil and just as good. Just let it soak a week or 2.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah woods off so I will try that.

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Travis S
Keith what are you good penetrating oil recommendations?

Thanks

Travis

The very best I ever used was Cabot's Tasgon, but unfortunately, it was taken off the market in the early 1980's when creosote was banned by the EPA. I still have some that I use sparingly because it has to last the rest of my life. Watch for it at yard sales, flea markets, etc. I found a full quart a couple years ago at an automotive swap meet, and it made my whole day.

I think Zep45 is pretty good, as is Zep45 Dual Force which contains PTFE (teflon). More recently I have tried Burlite and Mouse Milk, and they seem to do pretty good too. But I haven't used them enough to say for sure. I also like pure oil of wintergreen for small fasteners. The home brew of 50% actetone and 50% ATF works well too, but the acetone carrier evaporates quickly, and it needs to be covered with plastic or re-applied often. There have been numerous threads here over the years concerning penetrating oils, and techniques for removing stuck screws. Here's one of them:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=271977&page=1

I'm kind of a junkie on this subject, and have been searching for years for something that works as well as the banned Tasgon. I would bet that there are at least 20 different brands in my shop, and most are no better than diesel fuel or straight kerosene.

I would like to experiment with boiling an action with a frozen screw in a solution of Simple Green or some other detergent to remove all traces of oil, and then soaking in Evaporust or a molasses solution. I have been using molasses as a rust remover, and when it can get into threads, it turns the rust into black slime. It has worked well for me for freeing up frozen acme threads on rusty c-clamps and bar clamps after a few weeks of soaking. But they would definitely remove blueing since blueing is a form of rust. Both Evaporust and molasses work on the same principle of chelation to remove the oxygen atoms from rust molecules, and leave the iron behind.

I can't tell you how many times I've read or been told that this or that is fantastic stuff, only to buy a can and be disappointed. To those who swear by Kroil, I say they really need to get out more. And it's tough to make comparisons sometimes, because there are different levels of corrosion, of different size screws, that are made of different alloys of steel. You just have to know when to back off on the force you are applying, before you break it or gall the threads, and try something different. And I can't over-emphasize the importance of being patient when you encounter a really tough one.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Keith

I am and will continue to take it slow and not let it get me mad and distracted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a farmer who has dealt with rusted fasteners for all my life I can safely say I have never found anything any better than Zep45, in the mostly white can. I, personally, think it's better than acetone/ATF. Old exhaust manifold bolts can be tough, Zep is tougher. Repeated applications + patience, lots of patience = success.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as you are doing this because you are going to re-case color the frame,,then don't be shy about using heat on the frame in that area to help unlock the bushing from it's seat.

The frame will go through an annealing process before polishing it up anyway before re-CCH. That'll be around 800/1000F.
Then it'll hit 1400F+ when re-CaseColored.
Some xciting heat now won't hurt it. It won't turn to a pile of goo.

Turn up the heat,, turn out the bushing and get it over with.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Xciting heat. LOL

I will get after it this weekend and in the mean time get some ZEP.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would almost guarantee that the busing is cracked and it filled in with what ever over the years. If you have an eye loop see if it is cracked, if so take a small cape chisel and remove the pieces.

There is usually a pair on eBay or they can be made using a 5/16-32" cap screw which is a Gr. 8.

David

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.