April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, CJ Dawe, eeb), 1,177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Apology accepted jOe, but this isnt for you or Keith. It is however relevant to Travis inquiry on the other thread
The barrels were refinished by Ken Marburger.

The gun is a 1906 OE 16g Smith and a cosmetic mess; blued action & barrels when purchased in Idaho. The barrel bores are even worse; marked pitting throughout. But it was gifted me by my long-time skeet shooting Mormon friend, Col. Byron Meader here on his 96th birthday so it has special meaning.

He died in 2016 and his Bishop allowed me to do his funeral at his wifes request.

The good news is that it has original Hunter Arms of that era bore (.653) and 2 9/16 chambers with wall thickness at the end of the chamber of .106 & .110.
9 from breech left .044 but right .032 (recommended .040).

Bad news is the right barrel lateral wall, probably related to external draw filing before blueing, is .020 from 12 to 21.
9 from the muzzle is .028.

When Byron first got the gun, he put 250 2 1/2 7/8 oz. Polywad Spred-R shells, 100 2 1/2 7/8 oz. at 1145 fps. (about 8000 psi) loads, and 2 cases (500 shells) of 2 1/2 RST 3/4 oz. at 1100 fps (4,600 psi per RST) through the barrels without rupture or dimensional changes. Pretty good trial.

A friend worked up a load similar to the RST for me: 2 1/2 Cheddite Hull and Primer, 14 gr. Green Dot, BPI SG16 primer, and 3/4 shot. He also gave me a fully functional Lyman Easy Loader set up for that recipe. Another buddy chronographed the load at 1185 fps at 3 feet.

The Cheddite hulls are a pain to crimp, and the crimp is frequently dished. If it is less than 70 degrees there is incomplete combustion of the Green Dot, but I can still use the gun and load about 9 months here in the desert, and do, and rarely flinch smile

I am sensitive to my responsibility should shrapnel hit one of my friends. Thin (not obstructed) pattern welded or fluid steel barrels usually split, not fragment

but I use a steel and leather hand guard which fortunately just covers the right barrel thin spot.
I do like to shake up fellas by explaining they should stand back a bit when I shoot wink

And I would never sell or give the gun to someone who doesnt fully understand the risks, and need for specialty loads.

So Im happy to be a fool in jOes eyes, but Im not a liar.

More here

Barrel Evaluation, Non-Destructive Testing & Load Recommendations
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIo0y746UsSRZIgRuuxwAbZjSBHitO_EanvwLYc-kGA/edit

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never apologized for anything.

One thing I might add should you sell this gun to fund another mission trip you won't make it past the closest 7/11...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I never apologized for anything.

One thing I might add should you sell this gun to fund another mission trip you won't make it past the closest 7/11...

Gee jOe, are you telling us that the preacher told yet another lie by dishonestly claiming you apologized to him?

I saw that unusual claim, but hadn't seen any apology from you to him.

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Apology accepted jOe, but this isnt for you or Keith. It is however relevant to Travis inquiry on the other thread

For a few minutes I thought you might have done so by PM, although I couldn't imagine why you had any reason to apologize to him. This is just weird. He seems rather consumed by this determination to transfer his disingenuous behavior onto you and me. Maybe next he'll be imagining that I apologized to him too.

That's not going to happen.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Drew I like the Col's shirt !

Sidelock
Sidelock

If anyone owes anyone an apology it's the Doc...

If he does start apologizing he'll need to start a lot higher up than me....it could take years and years before he gets down to me.

I'm okay with that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

this started out being an interesting thread...

now it has been trashed by ego driven, self serving sociopaths...

would you guys go defecate elsewhere?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed did anyone mention Ed or the torch

I hear you guys nicknamed the color case torch ol'fire and brimstone...is that true ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

more often than not, potentially good threads like this one are diverted by the self focused few here, who seem to revel in launching personal attacks against others here...

why should we, the majority here, have to endure this constant hijacking of threads by those few here who seem to have an out of control need to impose their off topic views on the rest of us?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

You mean by people like you that post un-needed comments on useless threads like this one?

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Since Keith so enjoys my (mostly) Puritan quotations, here's a good one. John Bunyan "A Discourse Touching Prayer", 1662
"Therefore give me leave a little to reason with thee, thou poor, blind, ignorant sot."

I have at times not debated "with humility and respect" (1 Peter 3:15) and for that I apologize. But wallowing with the pigs gets old (Matthew 7:6 - did Jesus really say that?? The context BTW is evangelistic discernment), and eventually you start to smell like them.
Sad statement when a factual thread regarding the decisions involved in choosing to shoot damascus barrels is deemed "useless" on a double gun forum. I think it's really hopeless.
I'll hang out because there are a number of very knowledgeable gentleman here with a great deal of apparently useless stuff to contribute.

If jOe posts more calumny, I'll stifle the urge to retaliate. For the record Grace Ministries is too small time to be a 501c3. My wife and I (mostly) buy all this food, and none of my expenses are tax deductible, nor are we supported financially by a local church
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19699775

As I posted previously, if someone would like my opinion regarding a pattern welded barrel they could post full size high resolution images here
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=470696
or email the images by jpg attachment to drewhausemd@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.