March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 56 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 55 56
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, sorry you lost that bird, but hats off to you for hunting (I gather) using the method many of us abide by, taking the safety off on the mount. The fly in the Ideal ointment AKA the safety is well known: the one on my No. 5 barely works, the one on my 314 not at all. I have found that jamming my bang switch tight against the underlever as I carry is very effective in keeping that finger completely out of the trigger guard, and takes a definitive movement around and then in to reach a trigger.

I have no doubt there are those who would politely and otherwise decline to hunt with anyone who does anything other than taking the safety off on the mount, and I respect that. I treat my Ideals like pigeon guns: do my best to follow (to me) the most crucial of all gun handling safety rules (muzzle in safe direction), and rely most on the safety between my ears.

Satisfying to me to see a lovely French gun taking woodcock- most appropriate.

YMMV

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Monday was a bust as a top covert was a foot underwater. We did flush one bird with no cigar (us, not the bird) when we found him in a briar tangle off an elevated road. Abby and Willa on the ground. Today, Floyd's Britts Sadie (6 years) and Pop (9 years) were on the ground. Pop is a huge Brittany at 55 lbs. We found a few birds and then moved to a new location. Pop is very direct and ponders the situation before moving. We were walking down a wide shouldered woods road with thick pines on the right. Pop was strolling down the middle of the road ahead of us, not a care in the world. Sadie was busy on the left side. Floyd was talking about Pop being tuckered out. It was as if he heard us. He was about 25 yards from the woods. He walked, did not trot or run, to within 5 feet from the edge and with a minimum of movement, locked down. Bird # 2 in the bag. The switch was thrown. For the next hour and a half he and Sadie were involved in over 10 flushes. One time three birds got up. Of course, all escaped and not a cut feather. Thick woods, briers, vines, leaves still on the trees (from the Book of Botanical Excuses), made it a challenge. At times it was difficult to get a gun up. It was quite a day. Floyd's 20 ga. Ithaca SKB 100DR (Death Ray) and my 16 ga. A. Ilsley. I shot enough to let the birds know whose side I was on. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
Looks like you had a very nice day. I'm envious as my woodcock season here in Michigan is long over. Good hunting to you!
Karl

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl, we down here are on the flip side of your envy while y'all are afield before our seasons start. Great looking wood on your Merkel. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vol423
https://imgur.com/gallery/lhcg7hd

Scroll down to the last photo. That's my 6 yr old, 90 pound GSP Sam. He held that point for 10 minutes while I took photos and waited for my buds to arrive. Then I shot the bird!

No doubt a dog that's never hunted a wild quail will do that...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
The Manufrance Ideal safety is at least ambidextrous, if you can only remember which way to move it...Geo

Geo that's kinda ugly for a table lamp....you using that one to stake maters or pole beans ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heck jOe, I shoot birds with it. Did I ever tell you 'bout that Boss gun I once owned? This Ideal is a way better gun and there are no extra holes in the barrels...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil that Ilsley sho am pretty

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was able to get the dogs out for a little work last week for some scouting prior to woodcock season opening on the 18th.

There is a dog and bird visible in this picture if you look close

This bird was sitting in the wide open woods. I won't see this once the season starts

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pictures

Page 30 of 56 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.