April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, skeettx, Marks_21, StevenD, SKB, 1 invisible), 976 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,485
Posts545,283
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to the contributions of Robert Chambers, Daryl Hallquist, Ross Berck, and Dave Noreen, and 'harvesting' all the incredible Baker pics from Greg Martin's site, I put together another album. I'm trusting I'm not gonna get sued, but was afraid they'd all be lost in the internet dumpster soon. Please let me know if you find any errors, and I'd be happy to add pics of any unique Baker guns if you'll send them by jpg attachment to revdoc2@cox.net and thanks! http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=17434920

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job Rev!! Those don't look like farm boys on the cover of tha issue of The Baker Gunner!! I just scored a 1900 issue. Should be in the accumulated mail when I get home.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Neat Dave! If you could scan the cover, I'd sure like to add it to the album.
I still don't understand the pre-Folsom grading system. At least by the quality of damascus barrels used, it seems to be lower to higher B - A - K?? Is that correct? And what did 'K' stand for?
Thanks for graciously sharing all your knowledge!

Sidelock
Sidelock

K on the barrel or receiver flats stood for Krupp barrels. PKE would have Paragon Krupp Ejector. Early and late BG&F Co. guns were grade marked. Ones in the middle years usually weren't marked, except in the Batavia Series.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Daryl,but now I'm really confused. The 'K's I have up are Damascus barrel guns?!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too, am having a little trouble with the grade no.s on top of the pictures. I see a BD and to my understanding B's were virtually A's with twist barrels, not Damascus. Can someone give me a run down on the grade system? I thought I had them figured out.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's certainly possible that things are mis-labeled on the Greg Martin site. The 1909 Baker Gunner lists no "A" but:
Baker Grade “R” and Grade “S”
Baker Grade “B” and Hammer gun Grade “D” Twist
Baker Hammer “D” Damascus

Last edited by revdocdrew; 08/12/07 12:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

revdocdrew, thanks so much for putting this together. I can't get enough info and pictures on these guns. A book on Baker would be nice! I trying to figure out in my shallow mind, how to burn your work to a disk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think this grading problem has been a real albatros on Baker guns all these years. A Parker Bros. GH-Grade was essentially the same in 1888 and 1942, whereas it seems every peice of Baker paper I pick up has things slightly different.

The only Bakers I've seen with obvious grade stamps are the later Folsom made guns. I'm sure many of you have looked at more then I have.

My take on this Baker grades business is that early on there was the B-Grade with twist barrels, the A-Grade with Damascus barrels, and the Paragon Grade with finer Damascus barrels and a bit nicer engraving, profiling and wood. Then, about 1897 they added the Baker $100 Pigeon Gun which was essentially a Paragon but with Pigeons in the engraving and steel barrels. A bit later the Damascus barreled Paragon was also called the P-Grade and there was an N-Grade that was a Paragon with Krupp steel barrels. Then they added an L-Grade Trap Gun which was somewhat fancier. I think that during this time frame Baker also built some fancier guns that weren't shown in any of the paper I've seen. Later over a period of time it seems the R- and S-grades were phased in as the A- and B-grades were phased out. Eventually Expert and DeLuxe grades were added to the line. Then the Paragon Model Nineteen Nine with different shaped lock plates and different bolting.

I never thought of it when I was doing my research on other old doubles there, but I wonder if The Library of Congress has any volumes of "The Baker Gunner." At the prices single issues go for on ebay, and how seldom they appear, assembling a complete set would be quite a task.

Rev, here are some pics of a later Folsom 16-gauge, 30-inch Black Beauty Special Ejector --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rev, I don't know where you are seeing the K's. Give an example of the Grade, serial no. and where the marks are. A gun marked PK would be Paragon Krupp. Yes, many of the Greg Martin guns were missmarked.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.