April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, gunman), 317 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,975
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#521059 08/19/18 07:38 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have an Elsie dated to 1894. All of the internals look very good. The barrels look good, real good. At worst a pretty conversation piece if I can get her restored. Don't know that I ever plan to shoot it (Damascus), but I would like to get it working. It has a broken firing pin, which shouldn't be a big problem. The safety connector is broken (I think I broke it) also fixable. But the biggest problem is the buttstock has been replaced. Not a bad looking piece of wood, but the fitup was less than adequate. I'm guessing my best bet is to have a pro do a new one. Anyone you folks can recommend? Any good sources for parts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless the gun was owned by your family and has historical value to your family, or is a very high grade gun, what you are describing is a bottomless pit that you will throw far more money than it will ever be worth at, for a gun you don't plan to shoot.
There is a gent selling a whole stack of parts for these guns right on the for sale part of this website. He is a gunsmith. I'm not sure why he wants to sell all his parts for this style of gun, but, you might ask him if he has what you need, even up to a complete stock for the gun. He might be interested in helping you with your project, as well.
There is also an individual who posts here who will tell you that it is impossible for the wood or any metal parts on your LC Smith gun to be broken, that it is the finest example of it's type, engineered to be flawless and perfect, and that you must be badly mistaken about it being broken, because they never break, but, if it is, there are only two or three gunsmiths on the face of the planet who can fix it, and you should send it to one of them.
Reading his posts on the subject of LC Smith guns is just like reading a George Herter catalog from the 1960s. You'll know them when you see them. Take what he says with a grain of salt.
And, good luck. We are at a time when it might be cheaper or more prudent to simply find a better example that you could actually use, saving the first one for parts.

Here is a link to the ad:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=520192#Post520192

He is well regarded as a gunsmith. I have never used him, but, would, should the need arise.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Parts are gone. There was no wood that may be of any help to him. I sold them because i am not looking to sit on parts for Smiths anymore or work on them much.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not quite as bleak as these fellows lead you to believe if all you want is a functional gun. Have a local machine shop turn a new firing pin using the good one for a model. They can turn it from drill rod and it shouldn't need hardening. If they use something else have them give it a "spring temper". You want it hard but not too hard. A new stock is expensive. Perhaps a local hobbyist can help clean up the inletting and epoxy bed the stock. Try Gun Parts Corp for the safety works. Just be careful to get everything working properly. A lot of guys on here can help with advice and having a project gun is something most of us have been through. It feels good to get things right. Good luck.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I do know a smith who will make firing pins, but I found the parts I need (I think) on e-bay. Regarding the stock, I have a line on one original if it will fit. Yes, expensive! I may just work the current replacement. I have experience with in-letting (muzzleloaders) and bedding (old Mausers), so I may just go for it.

My brass and wads arrived today from Buffalo Arms. Still waiting on the RCBS loader. Mostly I need the shell holder to prime the cases.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.