April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After a few bruising sessions at the range, I have finally come around to agree with the prior input received from this board that the drops are low on my O/U. Not by much, mind you. The DAC/DAF/DAH measurements are only 1/4" lower than my measurements on Bill Kempffer's try gun. In any event, now I must decide how to remedy the problem. I am open to your suggestions. FYI, it is a trigger plate action O/U and will not set vertically in a vice. I may have to bite the bullet and restock.

Last edited by Owenjj3; 08/21/18 01:49 PM. Reason: Clarification

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Longer LOP

Out there doing it best I can.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can’t take wood off the top of the comb?

Sidelock
Sidelock

To low? a lot of people use "mole skin " to build up the comb. I have shimmed one side of the action to change drop and then glass bed the action, good smiths bend the stock, and you can add an adjustaable comb. Mole skin is cheap. The other changes are a lot more but nothing is as expensive as restocking.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put a removable pad on the stock first. You might just find what you need for fifty bucks or less. Then you can decide how much money you want to put into a permanent solution. A few hundred with an adjustable comb or thousands with a restock. Is this a gun which you have a reasonable chance of finding a higher stock to put on it? Some production guns have hundreds of new or used stocks available where some guns have zero to try. If yours is a zero is it worth several thousand dollars to restock? This is how money puts are dug every day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bend it. It is not hard, although it is somewhat scary...

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of your aren't reading carefully. He needs to increase drop. As eeb said, you can rasp some off the comb, or do as BrentD said and have it bent (possibly), or you can buy a $40 add on rib and adhesive it to the top of your existing rib. They come in different thicknesses, are lightweight aluminum that is blacked. You can drill a little shallow hole for your existing beads and fit the rib over them, or remove them and mount them on the add on rib. They are in different thicknesses, too....... 1/4", 3/8", etc.. A 1/4" thick add on rib is the same as having 1/4" more DAC. Very easy and effective. Completely removable with no damage to the gun whatsoever. Uses 3M two sided industrial strength tape to hold it in place, and it holds it, too.

From someone who has been down this road many times, just do something to make it fit right. You will never shoot your best until you do. If you want to try an add on rib I can give you the number of a friend who makes and sells them at his choke business here locally.

It might be worth trying one to determine if it will help before doing something as drastic as rasping or bending. JMO.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we all need to wait for confirmation on what he actually needs.

His title states “increase drop”. But the beginning of his post says the drops are “low”.

Sounds contradictory to me.

B.Dudley
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the confusion. I have corrected the title of the thread. The gun drops are low, so I need 1/4” more height. The gun is a DMB and I purchased it at a favorable price, so a restock would put me a bit under water, but not to the point of drowning. Good advice to try To build up the comb and shoot it before doing anything drastic. It may be that I do not shoot it well for another, as yet unknown reason.

Owen
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry but what is a DMB.....and is there any reason why you cant send it to someone down there to bend the stock for you?....1/4" is not much

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

David Mckay Brown? If so I don't think I'd want to glue anything to the rib...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 08/21/18 03:01 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

He doesn't need to now. He has changed the title of the thread which makes my reply meaningless.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unnecessary, now that he has changed the title of the thread. Makes my post meaningless.

Sounds to me like he needs to get with Bill Kempffer, who is a decent gunfitter, and make sure before having the stock bent on anything.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bend it yourself. It is really quite simple. Sort of fun, in a scary sort of way.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

If patterning on a shot plate/board reveals what you say and the gun is patterning low, send it to Dennis Earl Smith, aka The Stock Dr. and let him bend it up 3/8” to allow for rebound. Should end up with about 1/4” and work fine.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another option is to gain 20 pounds. Face gets fatter and problem goes away. Ok that’s not going to work but it does work that way.

Have it bent. Unless the stock has some issues in the grip it should bend well. I’ve seen guns bent amazing amounts with no problems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Call "The Stock Doctor".

Mike Proctor
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill, Jon, & Stan, your replies were helpful and reminded me of a McIntosh article which suggested the same idea of building up the stock temporarily and shooting the gun to see how it performs. If the higher comb is effective, consider the next step. Weight gain has gone the wrong direction, I recently lost 30 lbs! The offensive bit of walnut:

Owen
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice wood. Odds are you’ll gain those 30 back. (Sorry) Try an ISIS leather stick on pad so you won’t make a permanent change. I have a couple these on Parkers. They look pretty decent and they are easily removed, but not reusable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that it is hopeless. Best to send me that gun. I can learn to shoot it as is. It does look like a keeper for sure.

You might find a bit of cast change and upward bend does wonders.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Meadow Industries in Palmyra, VA makes a good system, which will not damage a fine stock. Thin velcro strips hold the comb riser pad in place. The package comes with a number of thin pads so you can fine tune the amount you want to increase the height of the comb, e.g. 1/4", 3/8", etc.. They can be reached at Meadoweb@hotmail.com. Another option is a gel pad made by Beretta, which you can see in the Beretta catalogue. The gel pad can be removed (peeled off) with no damage to the stock. Both solutions are under $50.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
Try an ISIS leather stick on pad so you won’t make a permanent change. I have a couple these on Parkers. They look pretty decent and they are easily removed, but not reusable.

eeb,

I have one of the ISIS leather adhesive backed comb raisers and think they are the best of the available options for a small increase in comb height that can be easily reversed. Much nicer looking than the other options.

Any suggestions on US suppliers that have them in stock? I see that Able Ammo carried them at one time but are now out of stock. PITA to order them from England.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have ordered the ISIS pads from England a couple times, quite painlessly. I call them and give my CC number and I have my order in about 4-5 days. Shipping was minimal. I don’t know anyone in the US now that sells them, which is strange because they are a great product.

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excellent advice. I will check into those options and see if the bruising ceases and my shooting improves.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

There has to be a lot about stock drop (DAC, DAH) that I don't understand. I can't see how a stock with excessive drop can batter your cheek. The only way to shoot a gun with a lot of drop is to lift the cheek up off the stock so you can see the front bead. If you cannot see the front bead you are going to shoot low, and miss. Not that you look at it, but your eye has to be in the plane of the top of the rib for the gun to pattern where it should, for anything but trap.

The only guns that have ever bothered my cheek had too little DAC which caused me to bury my cheek too hard into the comb to keep from shooting high, and any recoil thusly bruised the cheek.

I dunno.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 08/22/18 09:58 PM. Reason: sp.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you remove the ISIS comb riser, does the adhesive do any harm to the stock finish, or is it easy to clean up and restore the finish under the adhesive?

Rich
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The adhesive comes off with a little Ballistol. Any pad that covers the wood can change the wood’s color, so yes, that potential is there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Totally agree with Stan’s post above.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan and Joe, what you say does make sense. I cannot reconcile the measurements Of the actual gun with the Try gun measurements. Maybe I am reading or interpreting the numbers incorrectly. I believe that the proper course of action is to take the gun back to Bill and let him diagnose the problem. I am certainly no gun measurement expert.

Owen
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.