April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Marks_21, dearmer, David Williamson, Kolar Dickson, bushveld), 239 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,033
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#520809 08/15/18 09:54 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I recently acquired whatI think is a 1944 Sporterized Remington O3A3. Whomever did the sporterization did a very nice job. The metal is all nicely polished and blued and it has a very nice monte carlo style walnut stock. The stock is stamped IMPERIAL inside the barrel channel and it has plastic buttplates and pistol grip caps marked BISHOP. I'm in the process of stripping the stock and applying an alkanet oil finish. The stock has a black plastic forearm end cap and the white line spacer has either shrunk or the end cap has shrunk. My question is how does the end cap attach to the forearm? I didn't really want to just cut it off without knowing something about it. I would like to put something a little nicer on the forearm maybe a horn end cap. Also I would like to get rid of the plastic butt plate and pistol grip cap and install steel ones. I was thinking of something like a Winchester Model 70 checkered steel butt plate. The butt of the rifle is completely flat, did Winchester ever make a flat butt plate for their rifles? Or maybe a horn butt plate. I'm just kind of looking to spruce up a very nicely done sporterization. Just running ideas through my mind right now.Any help would be appreciated

Sidelock
Sidelock

there was a guy on ASSRA that was selling horn buttplate blanks. I wish I had bought one or two. If he is still selling, they might be perfect for what you want to do.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope that this link will give you an idea of how the forend tip might be attached, the link is to an ebay auction of a plastic forend tip

plastic forend tip on ebay

To my knowledge, Winchester only used steel and plastic buttplates.

I don't know if you will find this link helpful, but here is a discussion on working with horn

working with horn

Sidelock
Sidelock

I put an ebony fore end tip on a Bishop stock once, and merely cut the original plastic tip off with a chop saw. (An example of one is no guarantee though.) The gun became a pretty nice truck/loaner rifle after making a few cosmetic changes to it by removing about a half pound of ugliness with a rasp.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
I put an ebony fore end tip on a Bishop stock once, and merely cut the original plastic tip off with a chop saw. (An example of one is no guarantee though.) The gun became a pretty nice truck/loaner rifle after making a few cosmetic changes to it by removing about a half pound of ugliness with a rasp.

On the chance, that there might be a metal spline or bolt in there somewhere, I would cut it a bit long with a hacksaw first and then, assuming nothing metallic was encountered, I would cut it again on a table or chop saw

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Flip the stock upside-down and lay just the forend tip itself on the anvil section of your bench vise (or another dead hard surface).
Hold the stock steady with one hand and with the other, take a few carefully aimed and placed wacks onto the plastic forend tip w/a decent sized hammer.

The elderly Bishop plastic product will crack and break into pieces for you.
Leaving you with what was used to attach it to the end of the forend wood.
Might be a single dowel in there,,metal,,wood who knows.
Pull it out from there.
Might be two or more 'pins' made from nothing more than common nails all glued together at assembly time.

It all depends on how the tip was constructed (solid, hollow, cast w/a threaded fitting, ect).

Save some time and over rated excersize hacksawing and just crack it and take it off.
Pull any fitment hardware, then proceed from there with your new tip.

You can use a Winchester M70 checkered steel butt plate. They are still avail at about $60+,,probably less if you hunt around at shows in the parts boxes.

I have found them in less than stellar shape for considerably less and used them for various projects.
One ended up as a smooth shotgun style plate on a '94
Slight arc can be straightened if you want by heating red and simple forging from the back side.

Or refit the rifles stock to fit the Winchester M70 butt plate.

Flea-Bay might always be a source I'd imagine for a cosmeticly challenged plate at a reduced price to work over.
..and then again sometimes not the way auctions go.
Those plates were used on everything from the M97 to the 71 to the M70. So there are quite a few around.

Good luck on your project. Have Fun!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank y'all very much for the help and advice I appreciate it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.