March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

looking for published data for various 12 gauge black powder loads...

as i recall, 1000 fps is about what one can expect out of 30" barrels, regardless of load?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Huh?

You can match just about any velocity with 3F black powder that you can achieve with almost any smokeless shotgun powder. Sherman Bell has published several. Just by looking at the 10 gauge loads listed on the Parker forum there are heavier (1 1/4 oz) loads of around 1300 fps.

You could easily achieve even higher velocities (if you felt the need to) with lighter shot loads using the same powder charges.

In his series of articles he did 12 gauge testing as well, but I am not about to rifle through old articles to find them at the moment. Sherman Bell did point out though that modern black powder shooters are much too conservative in their loads. Using stout charges of 3F "sporting" powder such as Swiss, more closely matched the powders and loads 19th century shot gunners were using.

It's not for lacking velocity as to why black powder fell out of favor.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Supposedly the "Drams Equivalent" markings we still see on many shotshell boxes were based on using an amount of smokeless that would give a velocity equal to that amount of Black.

I wasn't around 125 years ago but some say that modern Black Powder is not the equal to what it was back then. Supposedly Black Powder peaked in its strength & effestiveness in the late 1800's & has gone in decline since.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is from an old article on blackpowder shotgun shells:

Quote:
Velocity. Shot velocity is about 1000-1300 feet per second; same as modern loads and the same as it has been for the last two hundred years. There is just no point in driving small shot much faster than the speed of sound because it will just slow right back down again. It's not called the 'sound barrier' for nothing.

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Midway used to carry Goex Black Dawge factory loaded shells in 12ga at 1050fps, but those appear to be discontinued.

Last edited by Replacement; 08/15/18 10:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Midway used to carry Goex Black Dawge factory loaded shells in 12ga at 1050fps, but those appear to be discontinued. [/quote]

this place sells BP loads, not the ones mentioned above.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/obsolete-hard-to-find-ammunition/shotgun-ammo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
this place sells BP loads,

I have a few boxes of their stuff, but i don't think they publish velocities.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now this is more like it.
The reference to dram equivalent says it all.

On another forum I got howled down & made to appear as a dangerous idiot for claiming 1250 fps with 7/8 oz of shot is easily achievable from 12g black powder cartridges, or even a muzzle loader.

Their opinion was that after 1000 fps the pressure was too high & you start to push chit uphill with a pointy stick.

Just listen for when the report starts to go from whoomph to crack.
O.M

Last edited by moses; 08/16/18 05:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How can this be lost knowledge?

The literature is replete with black powder information.

It's difficult to believe that modern production black is in any way inferior to what was available pre-smokeless.

The chemistry is still the same, certainly we can still get the fuels to fully react with the oxidizer.

I would think that with modern chemical analysis the charcoal part (which is the critical part) could be much better controlled today than then.

Personally, I cook steaks with charcoal and shoot with nitro.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
looking for published data for various 12 gauge black powder loads...

as i recall, 1000 fps is about what one can expect out of 30" barrels, regardless of load?

Black powder and blow torches don't go good together Edward....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

It's difficult to believe that modern production black is in any way inferior to what was available pre-smokeless.

Unfortunately that is just not the case, well at least to a large extent. Several individuals (Sherman Bell, Ross Seyfried, and others) have done extensive testing with modern black powders and have found them to be severely lacking to what was available to shooters in the 19th century.

Even without obviously having original blackpowder to test, what they do have is the documented original loads which were used, specifically for double rifles, where the type and amount of powder is extremely critical for regulation.

While blackpowder my seem simple, the composition, source, and quality of it's three ingredients can widely vary between makers today.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.