March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I think you're right, Don. And I also believe that more a person shoots, the more sensitive they are to such minor differences.

There are vast differences in how people perceive, and notice things. I am very noticeable of symmetry, paintings hanging crooked on a wall, things out of balance.....while my wife is not. She however, notices many things I don't, and the things that bug her I don't pay any attention to. I think that people's "wiring" may be as different as their fingerprints.

Stan, what you have said has made more sense to me than anything else said on this topic!! In my 60+ years of shooting I have come to categorize recoil as follows: 1. Kicks like a mule, or 2. Noticeable, but tolerable. Not very scientific and I am certainly not belittling the learned comments made by others here in this post, but I feel recoil differently on any given day depending on so many different factors that I just choose to ignore them. Besides, when the shout of "rooster" is heard in the field, I would not hesitate to throw a howitzer to my shoulder and fire away!!!

SRH

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

No one likes recoil. We shoot better without it. My "big game" rifle for everything is a Brno circa 1950 7 X 57 which I think JOC referred to as a "woman's rifle" for its low recoil, used by his wife Eleanor. None of my shotguns are uncomfortable because I load/reload appropriately. Magnumitis to my mind is an astonishing victory for consumerism.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To answer Ryman's question. The standard load for these guns is 7/8th. ounce. From a 12 bore this is a good killing load. Here in Britain it is not hard to find standard 2 1/2" 12 bore loads using 7/8th. ounce. I used to use an Eley one called Blue Lite which was really a clay load but performed on game without a problem in number 7 shot. One of my other favourite 7/8th. ounce loads was one made by Sellior & Bellot called the Practice & Vermin cartridge with a paper roll crimp case and size 6 1/2 shot. A good many rabbits and pheasants were accounted for by this load. Sadly it is no longer available but I recently sourced a flat of 250. Failing that Lyalvale Express make a 7/8th. ounce 6 1/2 shot round in aplastic crimped case that is an excellent game getter. Yes, 7/8th. ounce loads are often all you need.

Reference the recoil in the light 2" I have never found the slightest discomfort with my reloads and Eley ammo. I do hear that the Lyalvale 2" is a bit punchy. I have used their earlier ones with no problem but recent reports show that the later offering may be a tad uncomfortable. I have recently managed to get a couple of boxes but am yet to try the theory. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
2" 12 gauge guns are/were made to relieve boredom. Nothing else.
JR

I was thinking the same...about all of my guns. wink I have a 20ga M12 with a $1500 piece of wood on it. That's some boredom relief! And some of my 410s.... crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a thought for those of you that have a 2" 12ga gun and may be looking for alternatives to English ammo. There's an ammo maker Aguila that makes a 1 3/4" shell in 7 1/2 shot that I found to be very modest in recoil with the 5/8 oz load spec'd at 1200 fps. Enough shot for quail and dove and produces fantastic patterns. I didn't pressure test any of them, but the indications on the brass were very light. I stumbled on a bunch on sale cheap years ago and bought a bit. They have a special plastic pedal shot cup too. Shot some dove and quail. But my 12s are heavy.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/19/18 09:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was under the impression those 1-3/4 Aguilas were made specifically for increasing magazine capacity for home defense weapons and were powerful enough to cycle an autoloader. Not sure what they'd do to a lightweight 2" 12ga.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pmag
Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
I believe Me. Brown bought one of these 2" guns recently. French or Belgian I think?

I own that gun now, a French Mondiale. It is my third 2" gun. Had a Hellis and a Arrieta. I guess I can't live without one.

That is a dandy little gun in terms of condition . . . with which I could not hit squat. Glad to pass it on to my friend Pete, and hope he does well slaying UP grouse and woodcock with it. At 5 1/4#, it will certainly be easy to carry through the cover.

I'm now shooting a 28" Brit 20 gauge which weighs between 2-3 oz more than that 2" gun. Not only can I shoot it much better at skeet (I think the longer barrels, as much as anything, help in that department), but it's a piece of cake for me to work up 3/4 oz target reloads. Unless you really like to tinker, with a 2" gun, you're pretty much stuck with factory ammo. I would have been happy enough to live with that if, after shooting several rounds of skeet, I'd had results good enough to convince me I wanted to use it for grouse and woodcock. Had that been the case, I would have largely confined it to the gun cabinet until the season opened, then turned it loose on the birds. Instead, my little Alex Martin BLNE 20 will see more time both at skeet and in the woods. And it's almost a clone of the first Brit double I ever owned, 25+ years ago--except that Martin was a 16.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
I was under the impression those 1-3/4 Aguilas were made specifically for increasing magazine capacity for home defense weapons and were powerful enough to cycle an autoloader. Not sure what they'd do to a lightweight 2" 12ga.

Rob,
I don't think they have anywhere near the power to cycle a gas or recoil auto. They pop like a 2 1/2" 410. The actual spec is 1175 fps, 5/8 oz. Possibly, the slug and buckshot loads are hotter than the birdshot load.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/20/18 02:10 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

With 5/8 oz of shot @ 1175 fps anything over 4 lbs is not needed to "Tame That Vicious" recoil.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own two, 2 inch 12 bore's and love them. One is a W.J. Jeffrey and the other a B. Halliday - both London guns but probably made by Skimmin and Wood. The Jeffrey has 26" barrels and weighs 5 lb. 4 ounces. The Halliday has 28 inch barrels and weighs 5 lb. 8 ounces. I seem to shoot the Halliday better because of the longer barrels. I shoot RST loads and though I am sensitive to recoil, I can't recall that felt recoil was ever an issue for me. The W.J. Jeffrey is the nicest gun I have every carried afield and with its svelte wrist and light weight it seems almost like a toy. I have even taken them both on pheasant drives and as long as I pick my shots, they are deadly with 6's, although I use them primarily for grouse and WC.

Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.