April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jeremy Pearce, SKB, Jimmy W, Dave Weber), 431 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
Some of the scribes and 2” 12ga adherents believe that the patterns thrown by the 2” 12 tubes are superior to those of the 16 or 20 with equivalent loads. The knock on the 2” 12 is the greater recoil.

For those of you who have used the 2” 12, have you patterned them, and with what results?

I believe the supposed superiority is in shot string not pattern, which a 2D pattern would not show.

Recoil force is a function of weight of payload, velocity, and weight of gun, so all other things being equal felt recoil is near identical regardless of gauge

Last edited by old colonel; 08/14/18 08:41 PM. Reason: Additional lines

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Recoil force is a function of weight of payload, velocity, and weight of gun, so all other things being equal felt recoil is near identical regardless of gauge

But .............. the equation is for calculated recoil. Felt recoil is sometimes drastically different, and is affected by the above three variables plus others. And, felt recoil is what actually matters, not what the calculator says it is.

Not arguing with your statement, just pointing out that it's very hard to have two different gauge guns that have all the other factors identical.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 08/14/18 08:53 PM. Reason: clarification

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I agree. Further felt recoil is an individual thing which is also affected significantly by what the shooter has experienced and by the situation at the time of the shot. Target shooting versus game shooting

Last edited by old colonel; 08/14/18 08:56 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
I believe Me. Brown bought one of these 2" guns recently. French or Belgian I think?

I own that gun now, a French Mondiale. It is my third 2" gun. Had a Hellis and a Arrieta. I guess I can't live without one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that the size and shape of the butt, whether or not it has a soft recoil pad in place, the LOP, the pitch, the DAC and DAH all affect felt recoil. I would add that I can feel a difference with different shells at exactly the same velocity sometimes. Some have a "sharper" recoil than others, not hurtful, just a noticeable difference, possibly because of powder burning rates? I dunno. I just know I often notice it, and after 20-30 rounds I no longer do.

Some even argue that lengthened forcing cones affect felt recoil. I have no opinion on that one................ I can't prove it either way.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Again, I find myself in agreement, as felt recoil has many variables apart from math

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Nice felt recoil discussion, but I don't feel a lot of recoil shooting RST 2" or their 2 1/2" shells. :-)

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

After running several inconclusive experiments on felt recoil vs calculated recoil, I concluded that humans' nerve systems react to recoil (and other forces) at differing rates. That is, one guy can sense/feel the varying accelerations of the ejecta down the barrel while another only senses the shot as one event and agrees with the calculated recoil.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you're right, Don. And I also believe that more a person shoots, the more sensitive they are to such minor differences.

There are vast differences in how people perceive, and notice things. I am very noticeable of symmetry, paintings hanging crooked on a wall, things out of balance.....while my wife is not. She however, notices many things I don't, and the things that bug her I don't pay any attention to. I think that people's "wiring" may be as different as their fingerprints.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

My remark about unpleasant recoil concerned several of the factory loads. I had a very comfortable Federal paper, roll crimped, reload. But it was either the Lyalvale or the Agulia shells which were too hot by half. Worse than many factory 2 1/2” shells with more shot. RST shells have always been very pleasant to shoot. Perhaps with RST shells I would not notice the recoil but back then they did not have extensive loads for sale. My loads came from Alliant Powder and Hodgdon Powder using cut down Federal Paper hulls and those were pussy cats to shoot.

Recoil is just physics. Light gun, heavy or fast loads will give more recoil than a heavier gun shooting the same load. Stock configuration can give you a little more in the cheek area if you have a fat face like I do or get down overly hard onto the comb.

Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.