April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#520304 08/07/18 10:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, since we just finished a few conversations about guns we really should pay close attention to the ammunition we feed them, and keep it on the lighter side, pressure, payload, and velocity wise, how bout we talk about some you dont have to?

My monster:

This is a 1968 vintage Pirandelli & Gasperini, 20 gauge, with 3 chambers. Ive been shooting some trap with the gun, it is marked MOD and IMP MOD from the proofhouse, and the bores measure .620 in both tubes, with .022 choke in the right and .030 in the left.
It came with the recoil pad, and assorted white line spacers, which, I will keep on the gun in case they come back into fashion, perish that thought. It is bolted with double underbolts and a hidden top bolt, both seem to be well fitted. The top bolt is round, this is a machine made gun, after all. I guess they didnt want the gun opening up at the shot. It actually weighs just over 6 1/2 lbs, I dont believe petite ladies or youth gun was the thinking.
It is a clay crushing machine. I actually have to remind myself to let them get out a little bit. I know some are nauseous at the sight of a beaver tail and a pistol grip on a sub gauge, but, the combination works pretty dang good. Easy to hang on to, controllable to the point of automatic, and easy on the shoulder. A guy could do a lot worse.
The front wood wiggles around a bit more than I like. The auto safety is a bit balky. There is no cast in the stock, a plus for a southpaw. I like the look of bone pack colors much more than cyanide on an A&D, and the checkering and engraving are a notch above average.
It was left to me by a dear friend, who decided in 1968 that he needed a big 20 gauge. He also bought the Sears version of the Winchester 101 in 20 with the same length barrels, but 2 3/4 chambers. I didnt get that gun, but, Im pretty happy with this one. He never fired either gun, a shame. Both were new.
I think of him when I handle it. I literally wont give a second thought to what ammunition I feed it this fall, when I load it up for pheasants, which, I have promised myself I am going to do with it. Some ammunition came with it, even a few boxes of 3 stuff. One was a load of 7 1/2, havent seen that one before.
I should mention that I really miss my friend. He was a good guy.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's what my Cz bobwhite is for in 20. Strip the peanut butter finish off of the gun and wow what some wood!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ive had a few people suggest different things. Rasp off the beaver tail and the pistol grip, eliminate the white lines, strip finish, etc.

Dont forget, this is pretty much a new gun. Im in no hurry to change anything, today.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is beauty in utility Ted, no question.

Lloyd3 #520315 08/08/18 06:16 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
There is beauty in utility Ted, no question.

Absolutely! Maybe its my upbringing,but I'm a sucker for a working mans gun! Love it Ted!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have some that fits the description, Ted. I'll begin with this one, much like yours. This is an Ithaca SKB 200E. It's a 20 ga. with 28" tubes, weighs 6 lbs. 6 oz., and the dutiful Ithaca Raybar front sight. I won it at auction about 10 years ago. It appeared to be in unfired condition when it arrived. White line spacers, too!! shocked I'm going on memory, but I'm thinking it's choked IC right and MOD left. Wish it had double triggers like yours, but it is what it is. Works perfectly, and was carried on my first trip for Gambel's quail in AZ. Went two for three with it that morning. She'll digest anything I feed her. The wood in the butt is strange, not really attractive in the usual sense, but has a translucent look, with very subtle figuring.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Classic to many is a straight grip and splinter combo. Looks great and makes a gun look very sleek. Problem for me is I dont shoot that combo well, especially with heavy loads. So I put on a slip on leather barrel protector which eliminates the splinter fire end completely.

If this combo works for you all the better. Form is allowed to follow function. What is the point of altering a gun which you shoot well into another shape just for looks? Worse, what if you no longer shoot it well. There are millions of splinter fore ends and straight grips out there. One more will not make much difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

If you alter the beaver-tail forearm to a splinter, you will probably wind up with a rather noticeable gap between the wood and barrels. I have done this in the past for clients on different makes of guns and it always happened.

Just my two cents worth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many of the older guns we now swoon over were, in their day, just utilitarian guns made for a great day outside!

Thanks for sharing photos of your Pirandelli & Gasperini, and the story with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Ive had a few people suggest different things. Rasp off the beaver tail and the pistol grip, eliminate the white lines, strip finish, etc.

Best,
Ted

Typical poser BS that is just soooo stoopid

Ted, that is a pretty nice looking gun just as it is. If it works for you as well as you say then butchering it would seem to serve little purpose other than to degrade the market value and decrease the utility of the gun.
BTW - white line spacers have never gone out of style. They are as elegant and refined as always.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.