April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#519946 08/03/18 01:43 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am close to the finish line on a restoration of a Remington Model 1894 BE 12 gauge with 30" Damascus barrels. It's not to a factory original standard because the gun is being restocked and the shape of the stock and the chequering patterns are not dead original for a BE grade gun.

However, I'm at the point where I need to think about the final finishing touches. The receiver is about to be sent out for CCH. And having never done a restoration of a Damascus barreled gun before, I'm wondering about the furniture. What would have been originally CCH, what would have been blued and is it any different than what I'm used to with fluid steel blued barrels because of the Damascus.

And given that it's not perfectly original, if anyone has some thoughts about what might look better than original, I'm interested in that as well.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

On K and A quality Remington Hammerless Doubles everything but the barrels and triggers were color case hardened. On B quality and higher the top-lever and trigger guards were nitre blued but the top-lever screw and trigger guard screw were still color case hardened.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you found your CC guy. If you look at Remingtons they have very distinct colors. Very nice blues and light purples. If your man gets mostly straw, yellows, and greys it will not look good when done. Im sure a few here can post original colors photos so you can see what you should be after. I see a few CC men who get what looks like yellow grapes on a muddy grey back ground.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This one has pretty strong color. I had one a while back that was even stronger, I'll see if I can find photos.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...64&cdn_bp=1

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Have you found your CC guy. If you look at Remingtons they have very distinct colors. Very nice blues and light purples. If your man gets mostly straw, yellows, and greys it will not look good when done. Im sure a few here can post original colors photos so you can see what you should be after. I see a few CC men who get what looks like yellow grapes on a muddy grey back ground.

Thanks for the head's up Jon. I'm in Canada, the choice is very limited and I'm quite happy with the guy I'm using. He's done other work for me before and it's pretty darn good. In fact I'm holding a Pieper 16 he did for me a couple years ago. The predominate colours are blues and purples with touches of straw and brown.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
On K and A quality Remington Hammerless Doubles everything but the barrels and triggers were color case hardened. On B quality and higher the top-lever and trigger guards were nitre blued but the top-lever screw and trigger guard screw were still color case hardened.

Thanks Researcher. Exactly what I wanted to know. So no difference if the barrels were Damascus or not.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/03/18 03:49 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting gun Mark. Looks like someone whacked off the typical AE-Grade round knob and put on a grip cap.

I've seen a few like it, so wonder if the factory did it? A "normal" capped pistol grip on a Remington Hammerless Double ends with the grip cap at a different angle.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/03/18 04:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are a few pics of my unrestored B grade 1894 10ga. I cant seem to get my google photos in a shared album to show up, can somebody tell me what Im doing wrong?

My 1894 B album

[img:left]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mqJ8qn...w=w1258-h944-no[/img]

Last edited by reb87; 08/22/18 12:30 AM. Reason: trying to add pics

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb87

Very nice restoration. Remington manufactured some of the finest SxSs of that era.

Good shooting,
John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Reb87, Just trying to get clarification. Is that gun original or have the CCH been re-done. susjwp's post suggests it's been re-done and you are saying un-restored.

Beautiful gun either way!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.