March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Perry M. Kissam, Jason Dubois, GeorgeGibbs505, Licensed to kill, 1 invisible), 881 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#519924 08/03/18 06:02 AM
DLA Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a late LC Field Grade 12 that I purchased about thirty years ago. The metal is in very nice condition, lots of case color left. The stock had the typical cracks behind both lock plates. The cracks were repaired and the stock refinished and the gunsmith did a very nice finish.

But, this gunsmith had a bad reputation as far as his wood repairs went. About every one of his repairs failed. I have never shot this gun as I expect the stock to crack again. I purchased the gun at a very fair price with the intent of finding a new stock at some point but never got around to it.

Now thirty years later I'm wondering if this gun is worth the stock repair/replacement. My regular gunsmith is way to pricey for this type of project. Any ideas on who could replace the stock without investing more than the gun is worth.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd remove the lockplates and saturate the invisible section of the wood (where it otherwise might crack) with thin cyanoacrylate, let dry and leave it at that. You don't want to restock a Field Grade Smith 12. More than the gun is worth.

Last edited by Alder adder; 08/03/18 12:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Concur with Alder Adder

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one glued up professionally and shot at least a few flats of low pressure Polywads through it afterwards without issue (before selling it). It was also a featherweight which I believe has even less material in the stock head area than a regular frame. Maybe just stick to low pressure loads if you are concerned about cracking? If it cracks again, it can always be dipped in acetone and reglued I would think as well. Wouldn't sweat it too much on a field grade gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DLA,

These men are giving you some sound advise, let me add this to it. Sense you can still pick up an original 12 gauge L.C. Smith for more than reasonable money $800.00 - $950.00, because there were so many of them made by Hunter Arms, in most cases stock replacement may cost more than the actual used gun.

I would use your Field Grade double gun to hunt with using SpredR loads, sense you have already invested in a repair, or send the gun to Rich Painter at Economy Gun Smithing, here in Pa, and have him fix the stock correctly prior to using it. If you have stored the gun correctly and oiled it properly also, your already repaired stock should probably not fail, using the light SpredR loads. If the man who repaired your stock knew what he was doing, it would not recrack at all.

Sense the gun is not a family hand me down from your Father and Grand Father,
if the stock does fail again, at that time then make your decision. If you decide some day to replace the stock or have it fixed correctly, I recommend Rich Painter or Freddie Brunner. These 2 Mastergun Makers do all the work on my L.C. Smith Collection, when ever something needs done. (Remember Mastergun maker is a honorary, title given to Gun Makers thru knowledge and experience.) It takes a Mastergun Maker to work on an L.C. Smith Double Gun correctly. It takes this type of knowledge and experience to do the job correctly.

Further I always recommend the Double Gun Video's "The L.C. Smith Sidelock Shotgun" with Master Gunmaker Nick Makinson. A great video that educates owners on the L.C.Smith Sidelock Double Gun.

If I can help you further let me know.

Ryman Gun Dog/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

"L.C. Smith America's Best" - John Houchins

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/03/18 02:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Freddy Brunner is retired. Try this guy:

http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2016/01/an-unbiased-look-at-design-of-american.html

Oh, wait, I forgot-he doesnt work on Smiths anymore. Actually, the list of guys that dont is getting sort of extensive.

Good luck, dont take any wooden nickels.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot it. It was made to be used. Stick with low pressure loads only because it is a vintage double that wasn't designed for modern high pressure loads. But remember that recoil is what damages old brittle or punky wood, and recoil is not a function of pressure. Recoil is increased by higher velocities and/or heavier loads of shot.

Measure your cracks and run a case of mild loads through it. I'll wager the cracks probably won't reopen or get worse. They probably began years ago when someone's pounded the piss out of it with heavy high velocity loads. L.C. Smith's I've owned that had cracks behind the lockplates never got any worse with conservative loads.

I am interested in how your gunsmith did the repairs, and why you think his repairs are prone to failing. Cyanoacrylate or crazy glue will help stabilize fragile old wood, but it won't be as strong as either good wood or properly done glass bedding. Wood needs to be clean and free of oil soaking before cracks are repaired, or no kind of glue is going to do a good job. Soaking oiled wood with cyanoacrylate is only going to make a proper job a lot more complicated. Amateur and professional gunsmiths should follow the same Hippocratic Oath as Doctors... "First, do no harm."

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

DLA Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith
I bought this gun sometime in the early 80's as part of a three gun package deal. I had no interest in the Smith. I wanted a Fox Pin Gun and a Bernardelli . The owner of the guns would only sell them as a package so I became the new owner of the Smith. It has resided in various gun cabinets and safes since then. I came across the Smith a couple weeks ago when doing an annual gun cleaning and began thinking about repairing the wood or selling the gun as a parts gun.
Not sure how the gunsmith did his wood repairs. I never personally used him for any of my work. I'm not even sure if the guy is alive any longer. What I can remember is that he was a local gunsmith that could change parts in your Remington but not much beyond that. He did however do very nice wood finishes at reasonable prices. The problem that was always discussed among shooters in the area was that if this particular gunsmith repaired a crack in the head of the stock it WAS going to crack again in the same spot.
I believed those guys so just put the Smith in the corner and left it there for thirty years.

Maybe I will just sell the gun as a parts gun. I sure don't need it.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DLA
Any ideas on who could replace the stock without investing more than the gun is worth.

You wont find them.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just shoot it. If it cracks again have it fixed by someone that knows how to work on LC wood.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.