April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, LeFusil, Argo44, buckstix), 646 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,085
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#518270 07/12/18 11:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dealing with an English BLE that has the triggers reversed from what Id call typical: front trigger fires left barrel. Before I take it back apart, I wanted to ask what the likelihood is that they can be switched with a hassle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not sure how you are looking at your gun but the traditional English setup for double triggers is looking from the breach down the barrels. The front trigger is for the right hand barrel from what I have been told that was set from the days of external hammers, with the right hammer on a double barrel being the shortest span between index finger and thumb. For a lot of folks making it the easiest hammer to bring to full cock this includes myself if you are right handed. Gunmakers surmised that every person in the world was right handed of course!!!! If your gun has double triggers on the standard trigger plate set up there is a good chance you will be able to swap them over. Though as we all know there can exceptions to everything in this world.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be surprised if you could not simply switch them.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen this a few times on different makers of guns. I always just attributed it to either someone intensionally or un-intensionally switching them around.

Switching them back around should not be a problem. Most action designs would allow for this because most have their triggers being the same on the upper section that is inside the frame.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks All. My hope is that it will be an easy change. Should have seen it when it was apart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen this left firing first setup on some grouse guns. It is supposed to suit fast incomers, firing the tighter barrel first. Same thing could have been done via reversing the chokes, but maybe it was easier to mess with the triggers, or maybe keep the resale value etc.

It is possible to change trigger positions but the rear trigger may require some bending. Usually rear triggers are bent to center, so the rear blade is in line with the front.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, in something like a A. H. Fox, its a 5 minute Fix. My gunsmith inadvertently switched them on my 20 gauge Sterly. I took it back the next time I was up there and it was indeed a 5 minute fix for him.

foxes rule
tut #518414 07/15/18 09:12 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: tut
FWIW, in something like a A. H. Fox, its a 5 minute Fix.

Are you sure one example applies to all A. H. Fox shotguns?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

All two trigger AH Fox guns work that way. I am sure of that.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Boxlock
Boxlock

All A. H. Fox guns have the same design as SKB is sure but consider each trigger was hand fitted to mate against the hammer sear with only a little play taken up by the trigger spring. Also to mate against the safety slide with zero play when slide is rear. Tut's Fox worked out because triggers were returned to factory's set up and not switched. But his example seems to give assurance to amateur gun smiths that Fox triggers may be freely switched in 5 minutes with no other considerations or things to check and that could create an unsafe gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.