March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

I have an early 50's Beretta 410E SXS with a very nicely refinished stock and likely original European-style sling swivels. The one in the butt stock is loose, but not stripped out. It can't be tightened any more because: 1) the swivel would likely gouge the stock, and 2) it wouldn't be timed correctly anymore. I would like to keep the sling swivels as they come in handy in the field.

I have some ideas on how to fix it but I am reminded of what my arborist once told me about trimming trees, that there were a lot of wrong ways but only one right way. Gun repairs probably fall into that category, too.

Fixes I've thought about and read about include:

1. teflon tape on the threads
2. toothpicks to take up some space in the hole and tighten the fit
3. back fill the hole with epoxy and thread the stud in with some release agent on the threads

The problem with these old type swivels is that they don't rotate azimuthally, only in elevation so there is always some torque on threads. Any recommendation on any of these methods or other ways of doing this?

Thanks,

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

One question first, Bruce. Do you really want to retain the sling swivels, and if not, where is the front swivel mounted, on the forend wood, or on the bottom rib?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan,

I would like to retain them, and the front swivel is on attached to the bottom rib with two machine screws. I did look at the New England Custom Gun site since they sell many accessories for European guns but there does not seem to have been much in the way of advancements in sling swivels since 1952 when this gun was built.

Bruce

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi Bruce,
You could always ream out the hole, glue in a piece of dowel, and then drill the dowel to fit the swivel stud.
I'm with you, sling swivels on a shotgun are extremely handy when you have to walk aways to get to your duck blind (or wherever).

Take care,
J.R.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, if I wanted to keep the swivels I would just push some epoxy down in the hole and screw it in, and forget about it. Unless it is a very expensive or rare gun, no harm done. Sounds like you're serious about using it, so it's not going to stay pristine anyway. The dowel is the more accepted way of addressing it, but would require a walnut dowel, and careful blending with stain, walnut dust the right color, and light sanding to completely hide it, IMO. And, if it's carried with the sling a lot it's might eventually loosen again anyway. That epoxy will end the problem.

Good luck, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/10/18 06:52 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

epoxy with release agent on threads...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,

The sling comes in handy handling two pointing dogs. Dogs must have some kind of sixth sense because wherever you lay your (unloaded) gun down they will shake muddy water all over it and then stomp on it.

The dowel fix is of course the preferred method from my googling (and only method if it had pulled out, Midway has a video on it I found) but my thoughts were exactly as expressed that eventually (maybe in another 66 years?) it would loosen again.

Recoil Rob, one question on the epoxy method: do you time the screw exactly as it should end up, or back off an eighth or quarter turn and snug it up after it sets up?

I'll admit for the reasons Stan expressed that I am leaning towards his method, but I like the elegance (and reversibility) of the epoxy casting approach. Thank you all for the feedback.

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is nothing like over complicating a repair!!! Just do as I do though I must admit I have only come across this problem a couple of times, because slings on shotguns are not a very common or popular on this side of the pond. Any way back to the simple extremely cheap and reversible repair, Just put the correct size plastic screw wall plug in the hole and screw in the swivel there will be enough give in the plastic to time the screw. I have no intention of explaining how it is reversible.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your suggestion.

Bruce

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.