March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#517984 07/09/18 05:57 AM
moses Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am feeling good today because I had a win with the internal tread in the bottom of the top lever of my LC Smith.
This gun has been worked on by unmentionables & I am in the process of trying to reverse up to a place that I can now repair it properly.
The top lever screw in it was a little coarse threaded self tapper just smaller than the thread size of the 4-40 screw that is original.

I naturally thought the worse for the situation but after inspecting under magnification & a bit of picking at the thread my hope grew.
The self tapper was just too small to pick up the 4-40 threads so the unmentionable put some hardening compound in the hole & ran the self tapper in. I was able to heat & pick this stuff out & after a blow out with WD40 & chasing the tread with a 4-40 tap it accepted a 4-40 screw perfectly.

Now my conundrum is to find the correct, or a workable screw to complete the repair. The ones I can find do not have a large enough head diameter to work correctly & I may yet have to make one.
But that is all better than having that female thread in the top lever all screwed up.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

In an ironic way, the "fixer" did a great job.
Not having the correct part, they did a repair that did minimal damage.
I wish they were all that way......

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will tell you from experience that the screw that numrich sells is not competely correct. They are just a modern machine screw that is similar to the smith top lever screw. The head is no where near the right diameter and ghe threads are close enough to work, but not exact.

B.Dudley
moses Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes oldstarfire, ironic indeed. If it was thoughtfully done that way as to not ruin things we will never know.

B. Dudley, thank you for that confirmation. I am finding that to be the case with every available screw.
That outside head diam is needed as it is a part of bearing & alignment.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

I may have a few good ones here if you need one.

B.Dudley
moses Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for that kind offer Mr Dudley. P.M. sent.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not certain but I seem to remember that LC Smith typewriters used screws that could often be used in their firearms.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
I'm not certain but I seem to remember that LC Smith typewriters used screws that could often be used in their firearms.

Steve

An old manual Smith typewriter is probably rarer that an Elsie these days...Geo

moses Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

An old manual Smith typewriter is probably rarer that an Elsie these days...Geo

True, Geo. At least here in Australia.
Not sayin I bin everywhere man, but my Elsie is the only one I have ever seen or heard of.
Talking to an American trained gunsmith in this town yesterday & he has never seen or heard of LC Smith guns before seeing mine yesterday.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

moses,

Because I have no idea of your Gun Making expertise, I recommend you watch Master Gun Maker Nick Makinson in the Double Gun Video, The L.C. Smith Sidelock Shotgun.

In the video Nick demonstrates exactly how to make screws for the L.C. Smith Shotgun, live on camera for everyone to see. The video has a lot of other good Master Gun Maker information in it also, related as Nick works on the L.C. Smith double gun.

If B. Dudley can supply you with an original in good shape great. If you do not want to tackle the job yourself, Rich Painter at Economy Gun Smithing can do the job for ya. Rich and Freddie Brunner do any work that needs done on my L.C. Smith shotguns. A little while back Rich Painter custom fit an original set of Krupp Barrels on one of my L.C. Smith 16 Gauge 1913 double guns. A job for a true Master Gun Maker for sure.

Have fun working on your L.C. Smith double gun.

Ryman Gun Dog

Rich Painter's fine work, fitting the Krupp 30" Barrels on to my L.C. Smith Breech work, restored this 1913, 16 Gauge double gun to pristine condition.

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 07/20/18 04:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Viknair said it best when he said there is no gunsmithing apprenticeship program in this country that bestows the term “master” on anyone.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

B. Dudley,

You are correct sir, in our part of the country that term has to be earned on the job, and is a sign of experience and knowledge. No school or apprenticeship program that I know of, in the USA awards the Title. Even the old German Gun Makers at Hunter Arms L.C. Smith, did not refer to themselves in such a manner, however it is what the other employees called them, out of respect for their talents.

I refer to Both Freddie Brunner and Rich Painter in that manner today. Nick Makinson is noted as a Master Gun Maker right on the front of the Double Gun Video box, and also in the video itself.

Ryman Gun Dog

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 07/20/18 04:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run a search on ebay for kensmachine, he has reproduction screws for LC Smith guns.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.