May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (ClapperZapper, graybeardtmm3, Jimmy W, 3 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,653
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the pics Steve and everything else you do for our trade. It does not go un-noticed. Those look like some pleased faces. Great progress too in only a week's time.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many thanks for the kind words and encouragement. It is much appreciated and I will continue to do what I do to continue advancing quality craftsmanship and awareness of a dwindling trade.
Comments on what you see in the pics is welcome!

Last edited by SDH-MT; 07/02/18 01:58 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Keith, since you've brought me up again, I'll chime in to say that Steven's post regarding tools and stock-making classes are precisely what this site is for. If it weren't for people like Steven who teaches the skills involved in making fine guns, that knowledge would become rarer and rarer. If this forum can't tolerate the possibility that full-time gunmakers need to make their skills available, then we really ought to give it up and take up golf. Just the photos from Steven's shop contain a wealth of useful information for anyone with eyes and interest. It's just one more sample of your short-sighted self importance. Face it; no one here gives a shit for your sour pronouncements.

Billy, I get (and give) a whole lot more good information from the DIY Gunsmithing forum... FOR FREE... than I do from Steven's self serving no cost advertising he does here for his stock making classes. I already knew about single flute gun drills used for deep hole drilling, and I certainly know about vises. Unlike Steven, I even know the difference between a vise and a vice. And I agree with Brian Dudley about the usefulness of a pattern makers vise with pivoting jaws for holding items with non-parallel surfaces.

You can try once again to read the intended content for this sub-forum... and guess what Billy... free advertising of stock making classes for personal gain ain't in it. Contrary to your plaintive cries, stock making is nowhere near becoming a lost art. And I certainly have no problem with those gunsmiths who freely share advice and information without taking advantage of Dave. My comment was driven by the hypocrisy of Steven making judgements about which topics and posts are appropriate in a particular forum, and then violating his own standards for personal financial gain. But your comments and concern is understandable, considering your habit of launching personal attacks and posting false information in the Double Shotgun forum, and then retreating here to hide under Steven's shop apron.

A much better source of information on stock making that certainly isn't near as costly as these classes is this book. I highly recommend it:

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith. I have looked at your recent posts and have seen nothing that would make me believe your claim of you posting useful information. Just a recommendation of a book by an author who if I had read any of his internet posts before I bought the book I certainly would not have given him one red cent of my money. Steve has been a contributor to this forum for many years. If some of his information sharing comes in the form of an infomercial, I have no problem with that. I do not view them as selling, as much as just sharing what he is doing which is what this forum is for. He certainly is not going to get rich off the few people that frequent this forum. If you are so concerned about Dave, maybe you should consider whether your posts are bringing more people to his forum, or pushing them away.

John Holliger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for your comments John. I gave my reason for confronting Stevens hypocrisy and his self serving promotion for personal financial gain. In the interest of fairness, perhaps you should dig a little deeper to see if I have contributed any useful information. A while back, in response to an accusation similar to yours, craigd provided a bunch of links to posts I made that he found helpful and informative. Predictably, the time he spent offering proof fell on deaf ears. You obviously haven't looked very hard. And then you could do the same to see what Steven's little friend Billy contributes when he isn't hiding here in this sub-forum, pretending to be a gun guy:

Eightbore, If you took your head out that dark space and made an open-minded inquiry, you'd see that however unappealing the Clintons may be they're preferable to our moron-in-chief. I wouldn't support Hillary if I didn't see that she was, by experience and education, qualified to hold office. Trump is only qualified to lead a Mafia operation. Consider "Trump University". Ponder Stormy Daniels. A man who made a fortune preying on the gullible may not belong in jail, but he certainly does not belong in the White House.

Keith, FU.

Craig as usual has responded with an utterly incoherent diatribe. Conservatives have long opposed education at every level because it tends to shred their arguments in favor of policies that marginalize ordinary people in favor of those who own a disproportional amount of the country's wealth. As evidence, I offer the current tax "reform" scam.

I'm not belittling Trump. I'm describing him as he is- venal, self-absorbed, ignorant, impulsive, greedy, mendacious. The America I value is being undone by this miscreant. He makes George W seem like a hero. Hillary again? You need to move toward recovery. She's not news. Nobody is promoting her. As for Putin, he's your guy's buddy and, like you, he did all he could to elect him. Putin feared Clinton and chose your guy instead. Watch in wonder as the Russian chickens come home to roost.

You wouldn't recognize a fact if it kicked you in the nuts. You're a brainwashed cultist.

My hope for Trump is that the worse it gets, the sooner it will end.He is an embarrassment and a jerk. He isn't fit to polish Obama's shoes.

With your "Gasgunner" screen name, I'd assume you might be partial to semi-auto's. Billy sure isn't, and seldom misses an opportunity to bash them and offer his support for the anti-gunners who wish to ban them:

It's worth pointing out that accidental hiway deaths are not the same as deliberate murder. Both are severe issues and deserve attention. The answer to mass shootings by adolescents is to keep AR-15's out of their hands.

On another topic, the AR-15 is our worst enemy as gun owners. It has come to represent everything about firearms that the general public won't tolerate. It appeals precisely to those people who should never get their hands on a gun. Granted most owners are responsible people, but deranged shooters know it is the weapon of choice. Make them Class III.

And here's Billy comparing Buzz's desire to buy an AR-15, before they get banned again, to buying heroin:

Buzz, There are federal regulations against buying heroin. Does that make you want to go out and lay in a supply?

And here's one where Billy accused me of lying and also made the ridiculous assertion that an MMC Checkering Tool which runs at 17,000 rpm requires no lubrication for its' tiny gears and bearings. Useful indeed... if your goal is to destroy an expensive precision tool.

Keith, In reviewing some of our posts, I came across my request for advice about lubricating an MMC checkering tool. You responded to say that you knew what lubricant was needed but that you wouldn't share that information with someone like me. Later you posted a question about who sharpened the cutters for that tool. I posted the name and address of the company. PS: For anyone needing the lubrication data, the answer is none needed. Perhaps Keith knew that. Perhaps he was merely lying.

But once again... none of this has anything to do with the intended topics for this sub-forum. And I'm pretty sure your mind is made up. Even so, David Westbrook's book "Professional Stockmaking" will provide anyone here a lot more useful information on stock making than anything Steve has shown us here in his free advertisements for his classes. I've read your second sentence several times, and still don't understand what you were saying. But I think it means you like Steven, and disapprove of my responding to his recent attack on me, and because of that, you reject my plug for Westbrook's book. If you are into making gun stocks, that is your loss. But here is what some others have had to say about it. Reprinted in 2011:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129412&page=1

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/287366/professional-stockmaking-book-by-david-l-wesbrook

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Simply put, Keith is an embarrassment and just a brown streak in the underpants of this community. The saddest and most pathetic part about it is that i dont think he even realizes it.

Que the quotes and attacks...

B.Dudley
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you John and Brian, but there is no need to defend me.

Unfortunately, the Ignore feature is required on this Forum because the owner insist on non-regulation even in cases that clearly destroy the entire experience. He would rather see this forum destroyed from within that simply give the idiots and trolls the boot that they deserve.

To activate the Ignore feature: Click on the highlighted name, click on View Profile, the look for the Ignore This user and click on that.

Then bask in the relative freedom from idiots and trolls~~~
Responding to the idiots and trolls only gives them reason to continue. They obviously lack in attention and are willing to demean themselves to garner any.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve's photos remind me I have been meaning to build a bench horse. I use a free standing support like shown in his pictures for one end of a gun but more ways to hold things is always helpful. I seem to vaguely remember a tip in gunmaker for increasing the usefulness of a standard vise by using a pipe and some custom made wood blocks. I think Dennis Potter wrote about it. I might need to did that up over the holiday, it looked handy.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi guys,
I have been a member here for just over seven years and have enjoyed most of the contributions of knowledgeable people who share their knowledge freely and help others who might need advice.

Not personally knowing either of the protagonists involved here, I must say that I enjoy, and learn a lot more useful bits of knowledge and workmanship from Stevens contributions than from the other guy!

It is a pity that these things seem to happen in most forums I have come across - we are supposed to be a group of like-minded people sharing a common interest.
There can always be a disagreement - I have disagreed with a lot of advice which I thought wrong, also people have disagreed with me.
But people (there are two or three here - without naming names) who seem to make it their hobby to cause grief in a group like this should not be tolerated!
They probably have nothing else to do and enjoy (for once) being the center of interest.

It leads to members (like me) losing interest in the forum involved.

Just my two cents from the other side of the pond

Gunter
Rochester, England
Life Member NRA (US) 1974
Certified Pistol Instructor NRA (US) 1981
Life Member British Pistol Club 1976
Founder Member Nat'l Pistol Association (UK) 1979
Centre Fire Pistol Champion Kenya 1975
(before anyone asks: since 1997 we cannot have/shoot handguns in the UK! therefore I have changed over to rifle and shotgun shooting/hunting)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Simply put, Keith is an embarrassment and just a brown streak in the underpants of this community. The saddest and most pathetic part about it is that i dont think he even realizes it.

Que the quotes and attacks...

Yes he is. There is something very wrong with him, but I have trouble feeling bad for him.

Why Dave wont fix the problem is beyond me, but he won't get any of my money to support the forums until he does.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.