April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (graybeardtmm3, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, Ken Nelson, Tom Shaffer, Marks_21), 1,014 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
craigd #516912 06/27/18 08:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: canvasback
....The ethanol program is indefensible from every direction. Interesting to me, given the avowed conservatism of most of this board, how some favoured welfare programs get defended. Horrible when its a single black mother in Compton......just fine when its the farmer with a half section in corn.

I'm not so sure gasohol can be distinguished from many other unintended consequences. There's a lot of baggage that goes along with being pc unable to question the validity of pretty much anything 'green and renewable'.

Craig, it's easy to distinguish it. It was a scam based on poor science from the beginning and was only valuable to those who profited from it. It's effect on farm land/habitat, on decreasing availability of farm land for other crops, on the heavy use of chemicals to make marginal land productive and every other result were all predictable.

Again, so it's clear.....corporate welfare that is excused by many here while they vilify other types (that at least once had the gloss of reasonableness). Ethanol was the first real junk science used to dupe us out of public money to pad the profits of a relatively small group. Set the stage for the gullible public to buy into MMGW. (Sorry, Climate Change. Hahahaha!)

Last edited by canvasback; 06/27/18 08:25 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
canvasback #516913 06/27/18 08:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

....given the avowed conservatism of most of this board, how some favoured welfare programs get defended. Horrible when its a single black mother in Compton......just fine when its the farmer with a half section in corn.

I'm not so sure gasohol can be distinguished from many other unintended consequences. There's a lot of baggage that goes along with being pc unable to question....

....it's easy to distinguish it. It was a scam based on poor science from the beginning....

If(?) we like our CRP lands, maybe we should sell it better? Since when has good or bad science had anything to do with it? I bet there's a bunch of excellent science that goes into getting reelected as a US rep. for the district compton falls in.

ChiefAmungum #516914 06/27/18 08:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ChiefAmungum
Land owners, some of whom are farmers, are now eager to put land back into CRP. The 2018 farm bill proposes 5 million acres additional. The corn market has declined to roughly half of its high point as production outstripped demand. This was as predictable as early spring rain. Maybe some better days for pheasant hunters ahead!

I wish that was all that was needed. Sadly, I don't think it is half the battle. Even where we have expanses of excellent habitat, we have fewer birds. And fewer everything else. It is not just habitat that is a problem out there. I'm not even sure habitat is the biggest issue anymore (though it certainly was). Now I think it may be toxicity, or something similar anyway. There just aren't the bugs there used to be even down on the bottom lands, even away from the ag fields. Something ain't right.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

canvasback #516915 06/27/18 08:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

....The ethanol program is indefensible from every direction. Interesting to me, given the avowed conservatism of most of this board, how some favoured welfare programs get defended. Horrible when its a single black mother in Compton......just fine when its the farmer with a half section in corn.

I'm not so sure gasohol can be distinguished from many other unintended consequences. There's a lot of baggage that goes along with being pc unable to question the validity of pretty much anything 'green and renewable'.

Craig, it's easy to distinguish it. It was a scam based on poor science from the beginning and was only valuable to those who profited from it. It's effect on farm land/habitat, on decreasing availability of farm land for other crops, on the heavy use of chemicals to make marginal land productive and every other result were all predictable.

Again, so it's clear.....corporate welfare that is excused by many here while they vilify other types (that at least once had the gloss of reasonableness). Ethanol was the first real junk science used to dupe us out of public money to pad the profits of a relatively small group. Set the stage for the gullible public to buy into MMGW. (Sorry, Climate Change. Hahahaha!)

There was a hell of a lot of science that screamed that EtOH was a bad thing - but it was all shouted down at the time as being just part of a liberal agenda.

Climate Change is coming boys. And anthropogenic it is. Get used to it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

craigd #516916 06/27/18 08:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

....given the avowed conservatism of most of this board, how some favoured welfare programs get defended. Horrible when its a single black mother in Compton......just fine when its the farmer with a half section in corn.

I'm not so sure gasohol can be distinguished from many other unintended consequences. There's a lot of baggage that goes along with being pc unable to question....

....it's easy to distinguish it. It was a scam based on poor science from the beginning....

If(?) we like our CRP lands, maybe we should sell it better? Since when has good or bad science had anything to do with it? I bet there's a bunch of excellent science that goes into getting reelected as a US rep. for the district compton falls in.

In this discussion, I'm not arguing for or against CRP. I'm simply pointing out the obvious from the beginning bullshit of the ethanol deal. Bad from the start, sold to a gullible public and supported by those who profit from it.

Not doing ethanol is no argument for automatically doing (or not doing) CRP. But while we are at it, lets be clear...CRP is another form of corporate welfare. As hunters we happen to be major beneficiaries of it. Doesn't mean we should be paying farmers for not farming. However, at least with CRP there is not junk science involved and there is are benefits gained that help all of society, not just hunters and farmers.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
BrentD, Prof #516917 06/27/18 08:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

There was a hell of a lot of science that screamed that EtOH was a bad thing - but it was all shouted down at the time as being just part of a liberal agenda.

Sorry Brent, that's not correct. The left wasn't "shouted down". It was one of the few times the left and a group that pretend they aren't on the left, those who would profit by the program, were in alignment. The same people banging on about Global Warming were the same people advocating Ethanol.

BrentD, Prof #516918 06/27/18 08:56 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

But while we are at it:

[James Hansen issued dire warnings in the summer of 1988. Today earth is only modestly warmer.

James E. Hansen wiped sweat from his brow. Outside it was a record-high 98 degrees on June 23, 1988, as the NASA scientist testified before the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources during a prolonged heat wave, which he decided to cast as a climate event of cosmic significance. He expressed to the senators his high degree of confidence in a cause-and-effect relationship between the greenhouse effect and observed warming.

With that testimony and an accompanying paper in the Journal of Geophysical Research, Mr. Hansen lit the bonfire of the greenhouse vanities, igniting a world-wide debate that continues today about the energy structure of the entire planet.

President Obamas environmental policies were predicated on similar models of rapid, high-cost warming. But the 30th anniversary of Mr. Hansens predictions affords an opportunity to see how well his forecasts have doneand to reconsider environmental policy accordingly.

Mr. Hansens testimony described three possible scenarios for the future of carbon dioxide emissions. He called Scenario A business as usual, as it maintained the accelerating emissions growth typical of the 1970s and 80s. This scenario predicted the earth would warm 1 degree Celsius by 2018. Scenario B set emissions lower, rising at the same rate today as in 1988. Mr. Hansen called this outcome the most plausible, and predicted it would lead to about 0.7 degree of warming by this year. He added a final projection, Scenario C, which he deemed highly unlikely: constant emissions beginning in 2000. In that forecast, temperatures would rise a few tenths of a degree before flatlining after 2000.

Thirty years of data have been collected since Mr. Hansen outlined his scenariosenough to determine which was closest to reality. And the winner is Scenario C. Global surface temperature has not increased significantly since 2000, discounting the larger-than-usual El Nio of 2015-16. Assessed by Mr. Hansens model, surface temperatures are behaving as if we had capped 18 years ago the carbon-dioxide emissions responsible for the enhanced greenhouse effect. But we didnt. And it isnt just Mr. Hansen who got it wrong. Models devised by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have, on average, predicted about twice as much warming as has been observed since global satellite temperature monitoring began 40 years ago.

What about Mr. Hansens other claims? Outside the warming models, his only explicit claim in the testimony was that the late 80s and 90s would see greater than average warming in the southeast U.S. and the Midwest. No such spike has been measured in these regions.

As observed temperatures diverged over the years from his predictions, Mr. Hansen doubled down. In a 2007 case on auto emissions, he stated in his deposition that most of Greenlands ice would soon melt, raising sea levels 23 feet over the course of 100 years. Subsequent research published in Nature magazine on the history of Greenlands ice cap demonstrated this to be impossible. Much of Greenlands surface melts every summer, meaning rapid melting might reasonably be expected to occur in a dramatically warming world. But not in the one we live in. The Nature study found only modest ice loss after 6,000 years of much warmer temperatures than human activity could ever sustain.

Several more of Mr. Hansens predictions can now be judged by history. Have hurricanes gotten stronger, as Mr. Hansen predicted in a 2016 study? No. Satellite data from 1970 onward shows no evidence of this in relation to global surface temperature. Have storms caused increasing amounts of damage in the U.S.? Data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration show no such increase in damage, measured as a percentage of gross domestic product. How about stronger tornadoes? The opposite may be true, as NOAA data offers some evidence of a decline. The list of what didnt happen is long and tedious.

The problem with Mr. Hansens modelsand the U.N.sis that they dont consider more-precise measures of how aerosol emissions counter warming caused by greenhouse gases. Several newer climate models account for this trend and routinely project about half the warming predicted by U.N. models, placing their numbers much closer to observed temperatures. The most recent of these was published in April by Nic Lewis and Judith Curry in the Journal of Climate, a reliably mainstream journal.

These corrected climate predictions raise a crucial question: Why should people world-wide pay drastic costs to cut emissions when the global temperature is acting as if those cuts have already been made?

On the 30th anniversary of Mr. Hansens galvanizing testimony, its time to acknowledge that the rapid warming he predicted isnt happening. Climate researchers and policy makers should adopt the more modest forecasts that are consistent with observed temperatures.

That would be a lukewarm policy, consistent with a lukewarming planet.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/thirty-year...d-up-1529623442 [size:14pt][/size]

Last edited by canvasback; 06/27/18 08:58 AM.

BrentD, Prof #516919 06/27/18 09:03 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ChiefAmungum
Land owners, some of whom are farmers, are now eager to put land back into CRP. The 2018 farm bill proposes 5 million acres additional. The corn market has declined to roughly half of its high point as production outstripped demand. This was as predictable as early spring rain. Maybe some better days for pheasant hunters ahead!

I wish that was all that was needed. Sadly, I don't think it is half the battle. Even where we have expanses of excellent habitat, we have fewer birds. And fewer everything else. It is not just habitat that is a problem out there. I'm not even sure habitat is the biggest issue anymore (though it certainly was). Now I think it may be toxicity, or something similar anyway. There just aren't the bugs there used to be even down on the bottom lands, even away from the ag fields. Something ain't right.
Perhaps you're correct BrentD. I will add this. Prior to the ethanol "boom" and the wide spread removal of mid west CRP to feed it the pheasant hunting was of nearly historic proportions in SW MN. Within two seasons a ghost of its former self.

Geo. Newbern #516923 06/27/18 10:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://youtu.be/2cjRGee5ipM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
So, what is the answer? Let people starve? Farmers do one thing. They feed and clothe the world. Take enough farmland out of production to put back all the little patches, layout fields and hedgerows and you take millions of acres out of production. Not all those acres are marginal land, either. Most marginal land isn't growing crops, now. A large portion of it is in pine trees. Why?, to make paper for the worlds population. Take all pesticides away and immediately, in one year, there would be world shortages of food, feed stuffs and cotton. So, what is the answer?

Don't answer with your mouths full, now.

SRH

Stan, we took 30+ million acres out of production when the CRP got started. I think the eventual total was right around 35 million acres. And the farmers--at least those in the Midwest--were the beneficiaries. (As were the pheasant hunters, like me.) People tend to forget that although the CRP was presented as a conservation program--and it did take quite a bit of land out of production that probably never should have been growing row crops--an initial goal was to reduce an oversupply of certain commodities (like corn), thereby increasing the price. While paying the farmers to plant grass (or trees) on those acres. Worked like a charm. Part of the problem resulted from that old GA governor, Carter, deciding that the best ways to really get tough with the Russians over their invasion of Afghanistan was to keep our Olympic team home from the Moscow Games, and to embargo grain to the Soviet Union. Whatever else the Russkies were, they were also--at that time--a good cash customer for grain. Take them out of play, commodity prices decline, farmers go broke. Sometimes taking land out of production--as long as the farmer can afford to (he gets a govt check)--isn't a bad idea. Especially considering yield per acre for many crops has increased a whole bunch. We can grow more on less land.

But then corn prices increase; the guys who have land in the CRP see those prices. And, when they're able to do so, they pull out of the CRP and start growing corn. In the case of the Dakotas, in a lot of places where corn had never been grown before. (Mainly because they don't get enough rain year in and year out.) And they make good money in a good year. Or did, until supply once more caught up with demand, prices dropped . . . and now I wonder how many of them wish they'd stayed in the CRP. But with Washington cutting CRP acres, that option isn't anywhere near as widely available as it once was.

So what was a very good short term solution on the part of the government turned out to be not such a good long term solution. Then there's the fact that it costs taxpayers a lot of money when the govt pays farmers to take millions of acres out of row crop production.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.