April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,235
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Chukarman #516854 06/26/18 03:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
SOO... as a civilization we forge ahead with 'progress' - new scientific discoveries and developments. Then we belatedly discover the law of unintended consequences. By the time this problem has been identified and 'science' has been developed to illustrate the threat, the industry that the new development has spawned is heavily invested in production and distribution and lobby against any change.

This is clearly a formula for assured, long term disaster. I m not a political person - not on purpose, anyway - but this is clearly a political problem, and our political system is broken.

That is as succinct an analysis as anyone could offer. And pretty depressing. Garrett Hardin sketched out the general outline of the issues and now we see the inevitable consequences.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Chukarman #516878 06/26/18 09:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
SOO... as a civilization we forge ahead with 'progress' - new scientific discoveries and developments. Then we belatedly discover the law of unintended consequences. By the time this problem has been identified and 'science' has been developed to illustrate the threat, the industry that the new development has spawned is heavily invested in production and distribution and lobby against any change.

This is clearly a formula for assured, long term disaster. I m not a political person - not on purpose, anyway - but this is clearly a political problem, and our political system is broken.

I regret I must agree the the current political system is operating badly. The system is good, but the people are what is becoming more broken every day. Our society no longer has relatively universal values and demigods from all sides are playing short term selfish games to twist things in order to win. Society is being broken down into tribes. Civility is dead.

Our representative Democracy requires educated thinking citizens who use reason not emotion and believe in the values of our constitution. I am not sure we have enough of those citizens left.

Last edited by old colonel; 06/26/18 09:09 PM. Reason: Additional lines

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Geo. Newbern #516879 06/26/18 09:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, what is the answer? Let people starve? Farmers do one thing. They feed and clothe the world. Take enough farmland out of production to put back all the little patches, layout fields and hedgerows and you take millions of acres out of production. Not all those acres are marginal land, either. Most marginal land isn't growing crops, now. A large portion of it is in pine trees. Why?, to make paper for the worlds population. Take all pesticides away and immediately, in one year, there would be world shortages of food, feed stuffs and cotton. So, what is the answer?

Don't answer with your mouths full, now.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Geo. Newbern #516880 06/26/18 09:40 PM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A huge portion of the corn we grow goes in our gas tanks, over 1/3 actually. A whole bunch of the land growing corn in the mid-west is only doing so because of the ethanol program and the changes to the CRP program. We were eating just fine 90's, the bird population was a hell of lot better too.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

A large portion of the south is pine for paper because years back the paper/pulp wood mills got ran out of Canada because of the environmental hazards they caused so they moved south to ruin our part of north America.

Alot of people will defend the use of herbicides...but any farmer knows the concoction of mixed herbicides in the spray tank is mind boggling.

Tell these guys some of the recipes Stan.

I doubt any studies have been done on the combined witches brew required to keep farmers fields weed free.

Geo. Newbern #516883 06/26/18 10:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, which do you want to give up first, your low priced beef, pork and chicken............or your $2.69/gal. gas. Cut the amount of corn we produce back to what we produced in the '90s, with the increase in population since then, and the increase in the number of cars and trucks, and guess what will happen. Rioting in the streets. It'd make 2nd Amendment rights take a backseat.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Take the government out of farming and I'm betting the farmer will do just fine.

Sad thing is the modern farmer is government/chemical dependant.

Geo. Newbern #516886 06/26/18 10:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, but it will never happen and you darn well know it. Food is too powerful a weapon. Furthermore, this is about pesticides, not government, and how will the consumer fare when food triples in price, and they can't buy cotton clothes because when cotton gets too high the mills all switch to synthetics?

SRH

HomelessjOe #516888 06/26/18 10:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
A large portion of the south is pine for paper because years back the paper/pulp wood mills got ran out of Canada because of the environmental hazards they caused so they moved south to ruin our part of north America.

Alot of people will defend the use of herbicides...but any farmer knows the concoction of mixed herbicides in the spray tank is mind boggling.

Tell these guys some of the recipes Stan.

I doubt any studies have been done on the combined witches brew required to keep farmers fields weed free.

We do not use any tank mix that is not tested and labeled for legal use. We can't afford to, because many of the untried tank mixes are not compatible, or will cause injury to the crop itself. When I do use a tank mix it is one herbicide that is active on broad leaves and another that is active on grasses. The idea that you can pile all kinds of stuff in the tank together is ludicrous. Dummies who try that don't stay in business long.

SRH

Geo. Newbern #516889 06/26/18 10:36 PM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

We exporting huge amounts of oil currently and frack more than enough to meet our needs and that of others. We do not need ethanol to meet fuel needs, We have ethanol because farmers demand it through lobby groups. I'll take more CRP and slightly higher gas prices. The price of Chicken and Beef are of little concern to me as 80% plus of the meat I consume I shoot myself. The ethanol program is huge welfare program and a terrible use of land in addition to putting an incredible amount of nitrates in to the Gulf and increasing the dead zone there. Nothing more than a subsidy for poor environmental practices, not to mention it makes my truck run like crap.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.