Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Articles I've read over the years have said that Browning only made about 900 of the BSS Sidelocks over the whole production period. As many as we see for sale and just around here, I wonder about that number. There's also the question of the two engraving versions to be found. Last I read, Browning denies they even produced the game scene version, but that's clearly a mistake because the guns have Browning on them.

Anyone have the latest best information on these interesting guns?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George,
Ever since I purchased my first one, I read James Flynn's article as well as the one done in the DGJ. I've seen a couple of the game scene guns for sale as well, that feature drop points but with less engraving overall on the gun. The scroll engraved version is still my favorite, and the game scene versions seem to command a higher price, perhaps because of their rarity.
The two articles I mentioned are the only ones that I'm aware of. The ones remaining at the dealers were highly discounted at the time Browning discontinued them, which would have been the perfect time to strike!
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've seen the game scene guns with higher prices, but, they seem to sit forever. I also prefer the scroll version, and it seems there are always a few for sale. I've heard the same production number Geo posted, with about half that number for the Belgian version of the gun. It would be interesting to know if it is the same gun, or if the Belgian gun is significantly different in any way.
The BSS Browning, with it's 2 3/4" chamber and modern, well finished steel, should be an excellent gun for typical hunting that is available to me. I can sneak promo loads in it, if I have to.
I had a pre Royal Holland project gun, with a Holland patent single trigger, many years ago, and the experience kept me away from sidelocks for close to thirty years.
I find myself remembering things I liked (sweet balance and handling) and disliked (sharp edges on bottom of the action) about sidelock guns as I work into the ownership of a different example. The pros do outweigh the cons by a long shot.
I may remove the springs from the ejectors down the road, or, just leave them be. Other than that, I plan no changes.

Best,
Ted

Karl Graebner #516684 06/24/18 01:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
The ones remaining at the dealers were highly discounted at the time Browning discontinued them, which would have been the perfect time to strike!
Karl

Karl I wish I'd bought mine during the discount period. I also had two (both 12ga) but passed the better one along to Ted. The other has 28" barrels with the chokes opened, and a recoil pad added. I'm rough on guns and don't feel so bad about using up the one I kept...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Geo,
My money is on the 28" Browning you kept, NOT being used up.

Thanks for the nice gun. I can deal with shorter 26" tubes in a grouse woods, and, although the gun feels really good coming up, I think there is a leather slip on pad about the place, should I feel extra tall some day.

I haven't been lucky enough to handle a BSS boxlock that handles as nice as the side lock I got from you, most of the 12s seem a bit porky, but, I'd bet they are out there.

I'm caught up on guns for the moment.

Any plans for a certain Frenchy that came your way, or, shoot it as is?

No wrong answer. Either plan would be good.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think there's a wrong way to shoot a V-19 Darne that you can hit stuff with. Wonderful gun! The cast off that was giving you fits is like it was made for me.

I'd be able to shoulder it a little easier if I reduced the LOP a half inch but I like the way the butt is checkered so for now I'm adjusting my gun-mount to compensate. We'll see after the first dove season...Geo

Cheaper to adjust myself than to have the gun adjusted.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 06/24/18 03:30 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
The sharp edges on the bottom of the action is one thing I don't care for on sidelocks, although that can be cured if one were to get a rounded version. For half day hunts it's okay, but not for all day in the U.P. woods. At 6lbs. 8 oz. it is a pleasure to carry, but for the coming season it will be my 5 lb. 12 oz. Churchill boxlock with it's softer edged action.
Come October!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I'd be able to shoulder it a little easier if I reduced the LOP a half inch but I like the way the butt is checkered so for now I'm adjusting my gun-mount to compensate. We'll see after the first dove season...Geo

Which is 68 days, 15 hrs. 18 mins. and 36 seconds away................................... if anybody is keeping count.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Karl Graebner #516724 06/24/18 10:07 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Ted,
The sharp edges on the bottom of the action is one thing I don't care for on sidelocks, although that can be cured if one were to get a rounded version. For half day hunts it's okay, but not for all day in the U.P. woods. At 6lbs. 8 oz. it is a pleasure to carry, but for the coming season it will be my 5 lb. 12 oz. Churchill boxlock with it's softer edged action.
Come October!
Karl

Karl,
I think I can work around it with a pair of thin, leather, shooting gloves. I never owned shooting gloves until my Dad passed away, and I ended up with his. He thought they were the cat's meow, and had several nice ($$$$) pairs.

I never had a glove on my hand, when hunting, until age 50, or so. Didn't need them. I likely don't need to tell you they can save your hide when grouse hunting in the thorns. I'll see what kind of adaptations I have to make to have it work out for me.

I'm not an ejector guy, either, unless they are Darne ejectors, which, just yank the spent rounds out of the chamber and leave them on the action flats. So, as noted, that may be changing.

I suppose all designs of guns have a compromise or three built into them. It is up to us to figure out which ones we can live with.

Cautously optimistic on this design. Feels good to me.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Thanks for the time update, and yes, I'm counting.
Ted,
I've always worn gloves when hunting to keep my hands from being shredded. Taking an 81 mg. aspirin each day as a blood thinner doesn't help either!
Karl

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.