Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very much so old school! I prefer guns with barrels that are side by side though I do have one of those new fangled types having one barrel above the other, though it does not impress me. I do prefer guns with barrels of a warm brown colour rather than blue/black. More at home with guns having external hammers rather than the over complicated fancy side lock offerings having all the engineering hidden out of sight. Leaving hardly any wood left in the stock's head, plus they seem to need servicing every ten days. On the subject of wood I do own a couple of box locks which I have always thought make a good strong working gun giving good value for money. Being a Brit I feel more comfortable with older guns carrying proof marks in tons per square inch and shot load in ounces rather than kilograms and grams.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

This website is dedicated to the use, appreciation and study of 19th century weaponry, manufacturing methods and nomenclature. Of course we are 'Old School'! Why are we even wondering?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe Ky jelly from Kin'tucky kan explain why he wonders and wonders and wonders...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
This website is dedicated to the use, appreciation and study of 19th century weaponry, manufacturing methods and nomenclature. Of course we are 'Old School'! Why are we even wondering?...Geo

Good point!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Woodcock are to shooting what knuckleballs are to baseball. That's a fact!...Geo

True indeed. And if one could only become very proficient at "capturing" them simply by acquiring one of those catchers' mitts the size of a large pizza that are used when a knuckleballer is on the mound . . .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old school for me sxs for most all my wing shooting

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
He correctly pointed out that while I have many O/Us, semi autos, doubles and pumps I shoot any of them just for the fun of it. No real favorites. I am not above shooting a pump gun, with no rib, or with a Cutts, or Poly Choke, or an old field grade gun with a well worn stock or barrels with little finish remaining, just for the fun of it. While I like fancy wood, nice engraving and vent ribs plain works just as well for me. Beauty does not get you extra days out with me. Its all about the fun and maybe a little bit about the challenge.

Im old school I guess.

Your guess is wrong. That is pragmatic, accepting and open-minded or what sometimes is referred to as a progressive. Personally I'm not old school just getting old.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old school. I prefer two holes on top.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not in prime woodcock territory so have not shot them by the wagon loads. Over the years I would happen up on a few along. I always found them much easier to hit than a dove. I recall one season I was shooting a J P Clabrough 12ga SLNE with 28" damascus barrels bored choke in both barrel. Using a 1 oz load of #8's I killed around a dozen or maybe 15 with the same number of shells as birds killed.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I am not in prime woodcock territory so have not shot them by the wagon loads. Over the years I would happen up on a few along. I always found them much easier to hit than a dove. I recall one season I was shooting a J P Clabrough 12ga SLNE with 28" damascus barrels bored choke in both barrel. Using a 1 oz load of #8's I killed around a dozen or maybe 15 with the same number of shells as birds killed.

Whooeee! That's fine shooting on 'doodles. I do waaay better on doves than 'doodles.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.