April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Der Ami, Argo44, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, Gartenmeister, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,713
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#516545 06/22/18 06:35 PM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody ever heard of these guys?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dixon_%26_Sons

J Dixon & Sons (James Dixon & Sons) founded 1806 in Sheffield, was one of the major British manufacturers in the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century. They were well known as manufacturers of Pewterware, Electroplated Britannia metal see (http://www.pewterbank.com/ for information on this),Silverware and Electroplated nickel silver. Their products included hundreds of items for use in the kitchen (e.g. bowls, cutting-tools) and the dining room(e.g. tea services, cocktail shakers and mixers) as well as items like candlesticks for all rooms. They were a world leader in manufacturing shooting accessories through nineteenth century and exported powder flasks in large quantities to America, They were known as whistle makers, which like most of their products were of outstanding quality; they were one of the 4 great whistle makers, the others being W Dowler & Sons, J Stevens & Son & T Yates.[1]

It was located first at Silver Street (1806), Cornish Place (1822) Sheffield .

Their registered trade mark since 1879 was a Trumpet with a Banner hanging from it. Although registered in 1879, the "Trumpet with Banner" logo was used at times before registration and appears on some of their silver plate pieces. They were one of the foremost names in EPNS and sterling silver tableware including silver tea services and hollowware pieces. They also made silver ware serving pieces and had a wide catalogue of patterns. Their tea sets and hollowware pieces produced in silver are very valuable as antiques.

They were also famous for their sporting trophies. Two of the most well-known are the Hales Trophy commissioned in 1932 (sometimes called the Blue Riband) though this really refers to the pendant flown by the sailing ship currently holding the record for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic. The trophy was then held by the owners of that ship. The other great trophy is the one presented to the winner of the American Masters Golf tournament held annually in Augusta Georgia. This trophy is a scale model of the clubhouse made in 1959-60 and contains 453 troy ounces of silver.

The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976. The patterns are currently owned by another Sheffield firm who export products mainly to the Middle East.[2]

http://greyroots.pastperfectonline.com/bycreator?keyword=James+Dixon+%26+Sons

http://www.carlrussellandco.com/product/12g-james-dixon-sons-chamber-brush/

Last edited by skeettx; 06/22/18 06:50 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

As Skeetx's history shows they made shooting accessories in the 1800s. This included game counters, chamber brushes, pegs, etc.

Just curious, why do you ask?

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was interesting outfit not only did they produce "pipe guns" (affectionate name first coined by fellow from Ohio who went by screen name JimmyW where W stood for Winchester Model 21 lover) but also made three barrel three trigger affairs along with very kool side-opening vertical gun. The "Pipe Gun" is very successful design still made by David McKay Brown. What is really important to understand is that America is full of proud Scots with deep pockets meaning "Pipe Gun" from Edingburgh is very sound investment. Most poor fellas have to settle for something from France ManuFrance Ideal (almost) or USA in form of Ruger Gold label that looks similar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

9000+ posts of this caliber. What does James Dixon of Sheffield have to do with (I presume?)John Dickson of Edinburgh? Can I shoot Walmart steel through those barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Anybody ever heard of these guys?

Just a little.
They were only the finest manufactures of gun implements/accessories over the past 200 years.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

JBLondon, no connection between DiXon and DiCKSon, other than no doubt DiCKSon used DiXon accessories in their cases!
Jagermeister, you are making the same erroneous connection. DiXon is not DiCKSon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

O crap, I have confused famous gunmaker with "pot and pan" maker and first names aren't the same. tired Sorry.

PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe there are other examples of Maker's and other people with close names as well.
When I saw the Dixon and Son accessory I was excited as I own a Dickson and Son and wanted to add it to the collection of items in the case. But alas I was easily stooped, old eyes I suppose.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, I looked this up. 'Manufacturers of the Best Sporting Apparatus for both Breech- and Muzzle-Loading Guns' whatever it was it sounds impressive. Producers of loading equipment like Horsley-patent cappers and turning loading and closing machines for pin and centerfire ammunition...... Not a "pot and pan maker" I feel a little better now.

Horsley from York was good showing us that them country folk also put together very good guns. Beautiful manly engraving on them guns. No girly bouquest a flowers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.