April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Wild Skies, Marks_21, canvasback, 1 invisible), 375 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
[quote=L. Brown]
And, Larry, if the American farmer had NOT increased production to feed the world, who would be getting the blame for worldwide hunger? Huh? You know the answer to that as well as I, even if you won't admit it. Nobody is saying habitat loss isn't partly to blame for the quail decline, it's a big part of it. It's just not right to blame agriculture alone for it when people were demanding plenty, and cheap, food.

SRH

Stan, I'm not so sure that anyone would have blamed American farmers for world hunger. Not if they had their heads screwed on straight.

It's a wonderful idea to think that American agriculture can wipe out world hunger. But here's the problem: Somebody has to pay the farmer for the crops and livestock he produces. And it's usually not the starving masses in the Third World, nor is it their governments. It often ends up being OUR government, which means the American taxpayer. And that concept only goes so far--as in how much can we afford to simply give away to feed the world? It's like asking how much can we afford to spend on defense to play the world's policeman? Same concept, different problem.

Most people--if they ever knew in the first place--have forgotten that when CRP started back in 1985, it was at least as much an attempt to reduce an oversupply of grain etc which had driven prices down--and more than a few farmers out of business--as it was a conservation plan. Carter caused part of the problem when he "punished" the Soviet Union for invading Afghanistan by slapping an embargo on grain (and keeping our Olympic team from participating in the Moscow games in 1980). The Russians were a big and reliable customer back then . . . until they weren't. And that was more or less the start of the farm crisis in the 80's--because you can't solve a surplus problem by giving away the surplus and not putting any money in the farmer's pocket. So we took a whole bunch of land (over 30 million acres) out of production. That's one way to deal with a surplus--but you have to pay the farmer for the land that's now growing grass or trees instead of corn or soybeans or wheat.

What DOES work for farmers is to focus on products that go to paying customers. As income increases, people pretty much all over the world tend to put more meat in their diets--because they can afford it. In the 90's, the so-called "Asian tigers" were doing very well. And it was not a coincidence that about the same time, we started seeing big hog confinement operations spring up all over Iowa. A growing marked for pork . . . or at least there was until the Asian tigers slipped into a recession. Then it's hello oversupply--and hello lower prices.

So it's not just who's hungry where, and for what--but it's also who can pay, and are we going to slap an embargo (or maybe a tariff) on agricultural commodities?

Gets really complicated in a hurry. And anyone who thinks the American farmer should be blamed for not producing enough to feed the world is thinking about the whole mess at a very basic level. And the devil, as usual, is in the details.

I was fortunate enough to live in probably the best place in the country to hunt pheasants from the late 80's to the early 2000's. And I probably killed 95% of my birds on private land. So I've always been very respectful of farmers, and living in a big farm state like Iowa (and paying more attention than most people who grew up in a city--although John Deere tractors put clothes on our backs, a roof over our heads, and food on the table when I was growing up), I was lucky enough to see a couple million acres of great pheasant habitat spring up almost overnight. And when most of those big fields went away, I understood that it was Washington--not the farmer--that was to blame. DC has been mucking around with ag policy at least since the Depression. And sometimes it's been good for both the farmer and for wildlife, and sometimes it's been good for one but not the other. I like the win/win times when there are a lot of birds, but I understand it's not really the farmer to blame when there aren't. The farmers don't make the rules, and they do the best they can in a business that can be very volatile and has to put up with a whole lot of interference from Washington.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/10/18 10:02 AM.
Geo. Newbern #513476 05/10/18 10:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not going to argue that worldwide starvation would ensue if there were no more crops grown in America, but I believe it. There are millions of people worldwide that are able to eat because the American farmer can produce grains and oilseeds cheaper than anybody else, per unit. The point is that the American public expects cheap food, and government programs have been designed to keep it that way. Ag Sec'y Earl Butz was the one who said "Plant fence row to fence row boys, and we'll (government) sell it for you". Well, that worked great, albeit at the cost of wildlife habitat, until two embargoes singled out agricultural products and we lost the Russian market, then others. (They never came back, either.) Once again, American agriculture carried the weight for everybody else in America. Those two were unilateral embargoes, that affected no other American produced products except for agricultural.

Just say it once Larry, and I won't mention it again............ "The loss of wildlife habitat is not all farmer's fault. The consumers' demand for cheap food is partly to blame, too".

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/10/18 10:28 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just say it once Larry, and I won't mention it again............ "The loss of wildlife habitat is not all farmer's fault. The consumers' demand for cheap food is partly to blame, too".

SRH

You'll get no quarrel from me on that, Stan! Anyone who travels in other developed countries and sees what they pay for food (and gasoline, for that matter) can't help but understand that we have it pretty good. Tangled relationships between farmers and Uncle Sam, but damned straight the consumers benefit from it.

Geo. Newbern #516455 06/21/18 04:57 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/anim...m=.5f047d37ce4d

13 bald eagles found in a field in 2016 poisoned.

Geo. Newbern #516458 06/21/18 06:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is very sad. The product name is Furadan. It was only legal to be used in underground application. I have used it in the past, applied it properly and according to the label, and never saw any evidence of toxicity in any animal or avian life. It is a federal offense to use this product above ground.

Like so many other tools which have the capability to kill, misuse results in the tool being blamed, and not the perpetrator who misused it. Whoever improperly used the Furadan should pay the penalty, and it should be harsh.

Thanks for the link, Gil

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Pesticides just generally kill, that is what they do, indiscriminately.

Absolutely false. They do not kill indiscriminately. Certain insecticides and larvicides kill certain species of insects and larvae. Applicators must scout fields carefully to determine what species of harmful insects are causing crop damage, and then determine if their numbers have reached an economic threshold, before deciding upon which product will best kill the target pests without reducing the numbers of the beneficial insects.

Your statement is perfect example of letting a lack of knowledge, and understanding, make you look foolish. But, you're in good company. There's no shortage of ignorance concerning pesticides.

SRH

Truth is no one knows the impact of pesticides...especially some field jOckey

True that ...........and no one knows the impact of killing five turkeys a day on the local population, especially some so called turkey call maker. wink But, they're both within the law .....................aren't they?

SRH

You can "so call" me anything you want Stan...

I was referring to King Brown the licensed pesticide field jockey...sorry you thought the shoe fit you.

Hard to deny that some very bad pesticides were within the law for years and years.

And its also hard for quail to compete against the easy way out for the 'so called' modern farmer.

No till...poison the weeds then plant with mostly genetically modified seed then poison some more and more and more...then harvest.

In my opinion the modern farmer has been made lazy by the chemical companies...but what could a "so called" know ?

Convince me the chemical companies give a damn about a quail.

Geo. Newbern #516490 06/22/18 05:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Farming is back braking work with long hours. These people aren't lazy but must be more and more efficient to provide affordable food to increasing number of mouths. Two things politicians have to be worried about are price of food and price of energy. If those rise quickly the electorate will actually go out into the streets and demand real meaningful changes. Those politicians and individuals who pull their strings can't afford that especially since despite their best efforts the masses are still armed.

Geo. Newbern #516494 06/22/18 06:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Homeless Joe
I was referring to King Brown the licensed pesticide field jockey...sorry you thought the shoe fit you.

And I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

Originally Posted By: Homeless Joe
Convince me the chemical companies give a damn about a quail.

Won't try to do that, 'cause I agree that the only reason they care if a quail dies is that it might cause repercussions that would cause them to lose sales/money. It is up to the individual licensed applicator who uses pesticides to use them properly and according to label, just the same as it is up to the user of a gun, explosive, or truck to use them legally and properly, and not as a tool of human death. However, blaming the manufacturer of Furadan for the eagle's death is no different than blaming the manufacturers of ammonium nitrate for the death of 168 people in the Oklahoma City bombing.

When we blame the object instead of the (mis)user, we go awry.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 06/22/18 06:53 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

+1

Geo. Newbern #516517 06/22/18 10:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

fwiw, insect populations seem to be generally lower than ever using the "windshield census" method advocated by some. In 4 trips to Missouri, 2 to central Wisconsin, 1 to central Michigan, and 2 to Kansas, plus lots and lots of miles around Iowa, I've washed my windshield about 3 times. And most of the bugs that are spread-eagle on it, are gnat and mosquito sized critters - useless as bird food for developing pheasants.

My two new hives of honey bees seem to be doing poorly as well.

I don't think anything good is happening out there.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.