May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ken Nelson, LGF, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,084
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#51584 08/07/07 08:25 PM
jas Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It could be Karl Grudiug German Hammer Gun, Full engraving.
Does any one have information on this manufacture?
It is a 24 bore with "special Steel" written on the barrels in German. From the guy who is selling the gun, comment, hard to pull the trigger but in very fine shape. About 5 pounds in weight.
Any estimate of the value?

And especially what problems to look out for?

John

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
jas #51625 08/08/07 12:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would certainly want to know what the proof markings on the barrel flats and action table may be. From that we could determine it's origin and approximate age, possibly even the maker and anticipated service load. Barrel condition is always a big concern. Have the bores been lapped excessively making the walls too thin; barrels cut short or original length, rust between barrel ribs or detached ribs. Are the barrels loose on the action. Has unprofessional work been done on the gun (like someone peening the locking lugs to tighten the action.) Ammo isn't going to be broadly available for a 24ga but that would be a fun gauge to shoot - not much different than a 28ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,

B & P had 24 gauge cartridges a few years ago; suggest you check with them for current availability. I know you reload, so once you have a number of hulls, you're in business, assuming everything is sound.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Hard to pull the trigger" is the description for very old hardened 'grease', the gun needs a good strip & clean.

tw #51640 08/08/07 07:13 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, do you mean B&P as in the ammo maker, or BP as in Ballistic Products? As far as reloading goes, I think it might be harder to find the dies to reload 24's than it is the ammo. (Shells are available from Fiocchi.) I do recall that the late gun writer Don Zutz reloaded 24's, but I'm not sure where he got the dies, wads, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not reload, so I bought cartridges from B & P as I recall. Now that you have mentioned Fiocchi, I am not as sure of my memory! I later sold that little double and subsecuently gave away the ammo to someone who posted here that they needed some.

jas Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I heard about the gun at a Trap shoot on Sunday, called the owner yesterday and will probably see it today as it rained and he did not go fishing.. It has not been fired in some ten years. I bought a nice English single shot from him several years ago, he is a retired gun dealer selling off those guns he does not use.
It would be for my daughter and wife for the next S/S shoot.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ballistic Products offers Fiocchi 24 ga. loaded ammuntion, new hulls and wads. BP is really good about giving you data for reloading. If you really want to reload, I believe you could roll crimp and thus avoid trying to find dies. Just load the new hulls as 2 3/4", cut 'em back a 1/4" after firing and load 'em again. I'm sure depriming and repriming is doable without any equipment or maybe a 20ga setup. Now that I've said that, I believe I'd just pay $12 a box and shoot factory stuff!

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
jas #51684 08/08/07 12:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the local Vintagers shoot and reload 24 bore quite sucessfully. I'm thinking they just use 20 bore dies. Joe, you listening??

Sidelock
Sidelock

These little guns are a hoot. I have been told that there are quite a few French and Italian guns out there and that they still shoot them. But, most probably most, like mine, are very old girls.
Am I in error that Pedersoli will build one today.
I have a few boxes of factory loaded Fiocchi shells, new in the box, if anyone needs some.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.