April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (playing hooky, Ted Schefelbein, canvasback, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,106 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,858
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#515825 06/13/18 04:44 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of my sons called me old school after I beat him in Sporting Clays. He correctly pointed out that while I have many O/Us, semi autos, doubles and pumps I shoot any of them just for the fun of it. No real favorites. I am not above shooting a pump gun, with no rib, or with a Cutts, or Poly Choke, or an old field grade gun with a well worn stock or barrels with little finish remaining, just for the fun of it. While I like fancy wood, nice engraving and vent ribs plain works just as well for me. Beauty does not get you extra days out with me. Its all about the fun and maybe a little bit about the challenge.

He was complaining about the looks of my plain barrel Model 42, with the field stock, no checkering, corn cob fore end, slip on recoils pad for length and general lack of any degree of factory finish. A lot of people have enjoyed this gun over the years, mostly short men or big boys judging by the short stock. Still a slick little pump gun.

So are you old school in that you can and will shoot any gun or are you a fellow who wont hunt with an ugly dog, gun or truck? Im old school I guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely old school. I open the safe and what jumps out is the gun of the day. I never (almost) shoot the same gun twice in a row. I love SxS's and pumps mostly although I must admit the Benelli Montefeltro is the gun I shoot the best, once a year.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I consider myself Old School in that my guns are for the most part near the low end of the makers assortment. I have shot various types in years past but long ago settled on a SxS as My Gun. Back in the late 1950's I hunted several seasons with a New Remington 20 gauge 870 on which I had a Deluxe Poly-Choke installed by Poly. The only thing I ever truly came to like about that gun was what most detest, that Poly-Choke.

It did however forever more turn me Off to Pump guns. Don't know if I would have had a different outlook had I bought an Ithaca 37 or W Model 12 or not. I have shot both, but never owned either & they just feel like a Pump to me.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

poly chokes are wonderful...particularly in the bird woods and fields...as the cover changes, so does the choke, with a twist of the wrist...and where the poly choke is most valuable is on the skeet and trap range...in addition, to being able to use the same gun for both games, the poly choke adds weight up front, which aids in moving the gun...plus, the extra mass at the end of the barrels makes tracking the bird in relation to the gun much easier, for me...plus, they look really cool, sorta like the muffler on a 1938 dodge touring car...

oh, an ah luv pump gons, particularly the remington 17, 20 gauge...

Last edited by ed good; 06/13/18 06:46 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been called "Old School" but it was because my "smart phone" is so smart it stays home on the wall where it belongs!

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't agree with your definition of old school. I shoot a 16 Ga.side lock SxS with double triggers, a straight grip and splinter fore end. That's what I consider "old school."

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

No synthetics in my safe.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wyobirds
I don't agree with your definition of old school. I shoot a 16 Ga.side lock SxS with double triggers, a straight grip and splinter fore end. That's what I consider "old school."

Would agree with this definition a little more than what you described Jon.

And I used to grab a gun, either a Wingmaster 12 gauge or a Win M12 in 16, throw on whatever gear I scrounged over the years and go hunting, no dog. Ducks, geese, sharp tails, huns or ruffs. Same two guns and same gear.....maybe some waders if it was ducks. Hell, most of the time I didnt even bother with a gun sleeve.

Then I got a Llewelyn setter. Then I got another one. Then my wife at the time bought me an upland jacket from Orvis. Then I discovered double guns. Now its all SxS all the time, shooting over setters, scouring websites for the perfect gear. And while the guns arent all straight stocked, best guns, they arent hardware store guns either. Double triggers, splinter forends and barrels like my eyes with nothing younger than 80 years old. I call that old school

Same as my view of cars and sailboats......besides working right, no reason they shouldnt be beautiful as well.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/13/18 09:14 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback,
Perhaps it's a matter of evolution for us in our field sports. I've come to hunt with nice looking old sxs's, and continue to use my old faded vest and hat that shows the seasons that it has been used. Guns that are easy on the eyes provide a satisfaction when you take a midday break while hunting. For me, it's not so much about the game bag as it is about the experience.
Karl

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Karl, I think you are correct. Like you, I'm after the experience more than a specific number of birds.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.