April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (rocky mtn bill, Ken Georgi, Lloyd3, cable, Bob Jurewicz, 1 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,724
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#515742 06/12/18 10:26 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I decided that this would be a fun thing to do since in other sports comments the members of this forum have revealed the same meatheaded and information challenged opinions that they present regarding anything gun related.
Should be a good time, eh?

Fortunately, my opinions are Gold and reality based so I'll start;
Compared to anything, baseball is the world leader in a waste of time activity. And I might add, the perfect game to represent "the Great American Pastime."

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there a correlation between a person's hat size and LOP or do experts still recognize measuring from elbow crook to last joint in trigger finger? Seems like I read something about this recently on SI.com or Better Guns and Gardens. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope, Golf is the world leader in waste of time, and also the most boring to watch.
Just one man's opinion, of course.
Recreational sporting clays with like minded old retired guys is the most fun game with a shotgun, outside of Upland bird season.
That should be enough to get this thread going.

Last edited by Saskbooknut; 06/12/18 07:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Golf courses are the biggest waste of hunting land!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Sane, Baseball ain't a waste of time, it is sporting ballet at its best. I used to love baseball up till the year the Braves struck the World Series, about '93 or so. Not much to a man that can't hold a grudge...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Golf, as Mark Twain observed, is a good walk spoiled. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
....my opinions are Gold and reality based so I'll start;
Compared to anything, baseball is the world leader in a waste of time activity. And I might add....

If I were you, and admittedly that's not reality based, I'd rather watch reruns of Nolan Ryan throw a low hit or no hitter, than stare in the mirror. That bit of gold under the bridge, pro baseball has pretty much faded, like most other pro sports, from the dynamics of my time. Great topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To Each His Own. To Denigrate someone else's "Passion" is the Biggest Waste of time of them All. While I am not particularly a Sports Fan I will watch an occasional baseball or football game, can't stand watching Basketball. Don't care much for watching Golf or hockey either.

I will say that as a "Spectator" sport I would prefer to watch a good Baseball Game than a Trap Shoot. That's totally boring unless you are an actual participant.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now if you want to watch an action packed game, watch darts!

Sidelock
Sidelock

how about the courting ritual of teenagers on the beach...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Altho I almost allways agree with WTS, I think that anyone who thinks baseball is the most boring event to watch has never watched Cricket

tight lines jim sears

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my very limited experience, cricket is meant to be watched only while drinking heavily. Baseball is meant to be watched while asleep.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bowling......now that is some dry sports TV.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LGF
In my very limited experience, cricket is meant to be watched only while drinking heavily. Baseball is meant to be watched while asleep.

Being a fan of cricket as well as someone who has played, I have to agree.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
how about the courting ritual of teenagers on the beach...

So Ed, in addition to being an anti-gun Troll, are you trying to tell us that you're a pedophile too? I knew you were sick, but I had no idea just how sick...

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone for aerial ping pong ?
Otherwise known as Aussie rules football.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Croquet.......the thinking man's sport.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) once referred to golf as "A good walk spoiled".

I would like to hear his thoughts on watching it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im pretty sure Mark Twain loved golf.

Cmon fellow golf and squash lover (zucchini is my favorite!) Argo44, help me out!

Golf Rules!

https://youtu.be/pcnFbCCgTo4

US Open on now. Some big scores getting posted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"US Open on now. Some big scores getting posted."

How am I supposed to interpret this?
While I am not a golfer I do know that in this game one shoots for the Lowest Score. Back from Jan 1960 to Jan 1964 I did help make the Iron Heads for Wilson's. During my four year tenure there I performed various operations on them.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

How am I supposed to interpret this?

Englishman Scott Gregory is having a stroke. And possibly a cardiac infarction.

Hes +15 through 13.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AAH, thanks L-R, I see what you mean now by Big Scores. 15+ at hole 13 is indeed Big for a major event with big Name golfers.
Wish I had a nickle for every iron head that went through my hands with Sam Snead's name on them.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

And the risk of being serious here, golf, and most other sports, when done at a world class level, are truly amazing to watch first hand. An expert at the top of his game is always fun to watch, no matter the skill.

And having stood beside top 10 golfers and watched them play, one realizes they are, like most world class practitioners of any activity, playing a different game than the rest of us. You don't need to love shooting or any of the clays games to be in awe of George Digweed.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

See where Russia won the opening match in world cup fotboll. It will go a full month before it is decided who the new champ is. I don't watch, but keep up w/it, if only because it is SO important to a huge global audience. The Brits may have a good chance, but it remains to be seen. Very intense game and only those in best physical form can play at world cup levels. The best win.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Feel free to use this system to discuss your doubles, drillings, combination guns, other fine firearms, and related material. The rules are really simple: Stay on the subject matter, keep it clean, and contribute answers when you can!

As long as we are discussing sports, I would also like to start threads on baking pies and trading patterns for dresses. I hear these really bring on the discussions and some entertainment

What say Y'all??

Wonko, I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you

Last edited by skeettx; 06/15/18 12:04 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rounders an English game played by school girls .
Baseball an American game played by men wearing pantaloons.
Rugby an English Game played by Men and hairy assed Ozzies & Kiwi's who annually thrash the Brits.
American Football an American game played by padded sissies.

I just thought the board needed livening up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm totally unqualified to speak on any sports, other than shooting. The only other ones I ever was really interested in was snooker and nine-ball. I don't even have a sports channel on the Dish Network package.

Ignorance is bliss. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Feel free to use this system to discuss your doubles, drillings, combination guns, other fine firearms, and related material. The rules are really simple: Stay on the subject matter, keep it clean, and contribute answers when you can!

As long as we are discussing sports, I would also like to start threads on baking pies and trading patterns for dresses. I hear these really bring on the discussions and some entertainment

What say Y'all??

Might as well include knitting....

I hear Mr. Sniffle'beAn knitted some kOOl bicycle shotrz.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My feelings on sports are in line with Adolf Hitlers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah ! well Jesse Owens sure showed him a thing or four gold medals in 1936.

All this sport & no mention of your greatest sportsman of all time. Champion of the world. Gold in 1960, The Louisville Lip.
He is the Greatest.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tw
See where Russia won the opening match in world cup fotboll. It will go a full month before it is decided who the new champ is. I don't watch, but keep up w/it, if only because it is SO important to a huge global audience. The Brits may have a good chance, but it remains to be seen. Very intense game and only those in best physical form can play at world cup levels. The best win.

https://youtu.be/gbVJ-31JSrA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Rounders an English game played by school girls .
Baseball an American game played by men wearing pantaloons.
Rugby an English Game played by Men and hairy assed Ozzies & Kiwi's who annually thrash the Brits.
American Football an American game played by padded sissies.

I just thought the board needed livening up.

There is no reason to think that this thread will be any more welcoming to the truth than any other on this forum. Your simple but true observations will likely not meet with any great enthusiasm. Tho I do take exception to your "padded sissies" comment. I believe the proper term would be "armored". HTH

SkeetTX - it's no fault of mine that others seemingly leaped on a non-gun, non-SOS thread. And I don't think that really requires any deep cogitation to understand.

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 06/15/18 11:22 AM.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Yeah ! well Jesse Owens sure showed him a thing or four gold medals in 1936.

All this sport & no mention of your greatest sportsman of all time. Champion of the world. Gold in 1960, The Louisville Lip.
He is the Greatest.
O.M

Oh yeah!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx

What say Y'all??

Poor skeetx just doesn't understand how things work around here... even though he's been around plenty long enough to see.

The only thing that is really considered OFF-TOPIC is any thread or post which addresses our 2nd Amendment Gun Rights, or which confronts and exposes the Trolls who frequently attempt to undermine those Constitutional Rights by their support for anti-gunners.

Nothing will raise the ire of our self-appointed Thread Moderators and Thread Police like those subjects. And just look at what happened when Dewey Vicknair voiced his opinion several days ago. People who never said a word about anti-gunners and those who support anti-gunners came out of the woodwork to attack a talented gunsmith who had shared his knowledge with us. I found that very interesting.

It appears that Dewey is gone for good... unlike some others who made emotional estrogen fueled exit announcements... but didn't really go away... unfortunately...

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

"Sport" is that which is visited upon game animals by a human armed with a device of some sort used to end the pursuit of said animal.

"Game" is either a generic name applied to said animals, or something that requires sticks, balls, score keepers, and written rules. People "play" games, "sport" is not "played".

Tip O the pen to Stephen Bodio.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
"Sport" is that which is visited upon game animals by a human armed with a device of some sort used to end the pursuit of said animal.

"Game" is either a generic name applied to said animals, or something that requires sticks, balls, score keepers, and written rules. People "play" games, "sport" is not "played".

Best,
Ted

So a falcon is merely a device?

Golf is both a game and a sport because I could fill a seabag full of ducks and geese. Just drive by and knock em in the head.

DJ -4 at US Open.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunsaholic

I like watching darts. Its amazing how good some of those guys are!!!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woody402
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic

I like watching darts. Its amazing how good some of those guys are!!!!!!

And youre never too far from a shot and a beer. And there is always a game on the big screen like golf or hockey.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Best,
Ted

Unfortunately the standard dictionary definition does not agree with that. The terms are interchangeable for all intents and purposes.
The below is not as extensive as Webster but has the essence

sport
noun
an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc
such activities considered collectively
any particular pastime indulged in for pleasure
the pleasure derived from a pastime, esp hunting, shooting, or fishingwe had good sport today
playful or good-humoured jokingto say a thing in sport
derisive mockery or the object of such mockeryto make sport of someone
someone or something that is controlled by external influencesthe sport of fate
informal (sometimes qualified by good, bad, etc) a person who reacts cheerfully in the face of adversity, esp a good loser
informal a person noted for being scrupulously fair and abiding by the rules of a game
informal a person who leads a merry existence, esp a gamblerhe's a bit of a sport
Australian and NZ informal a form of address used esp between males
biology
an animal or plant that differs conspicuously in one or more aspects from other organisms of the same species, usually because of a mutation
an anomalous characteristic of such an organism

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 06/15/18 11:46 PM.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

wAnker the insane...

Why not take your circle jerk circus elsewhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you imagine jOe golfing? Yeah, neither can I.

That was one heck of a golf tournament.

Brooks Koepka 2018 US Open Champion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting first day of the draft, canvasback. Im sure Bergevin knows what hes doing with that pick and the Domi trade.

Wings cleaned up. Zadina and Velano. Two early picks today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why golf? A game of Polo is much more exciting and dressage competition is almost as exciting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

dim polo pussys got dressing contests...figures...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, guys buy 100,000+ shotguns with rose bouquets engraved on plates why not Polo? Thanks for posting Henry the Grouse Owl, Chapter II it made me think of fine ole' sport of Falconry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wings select another Moosehead, Jared McIsaac from Truro, Nova Scotia.

Veleno is from that large city in Kwee-beck that starts with an M, but we wont hold that against him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Wings select another Moosehead, Jared McIsaac from Truro, Nova Scotia.

Veleno is from that large city in Kwee-beck that starts with an M, but we wont hold that against him.

Have you tried watching rugby? Very many and exciting sport.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brooks Koepka 2018 UmS. Open Champion

Can you imagine Jagermeister golfing?

Better yet, can you recommend some imaginary golf clubs for Jagermeister to lie about purchasing? How about a foursome including Jag, King, John F Kennedy, and Martin Luther King? Who would win the Master's tournament?

Great thread Dr. Wanker! I hope no one screws it up by mentioning gun rights. Oops!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

Brooks Koepka 2018 UmS. Open Champion

Can you imagine Jagermeister golfing?

Better yet, can you recommend some imaginary golf clubs for Jagermeister to lie about purchasing? How about a foursome including Jag, King, John F Kennedy, and Martin Luther King? Who would win the Master's tournament?

Great thread Dr. Wanker! I hope no one screws it up by mentioning gun rights. Oops!

Never played golf in my long life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Havne't been here for a while.

Getting tired of those whiners at the US Open. "It's too hard!". "We can't break par!". Big shit. They all play the same course the same day and are subject to the vagaries of weather. Good for Brooks on the easiest course last year and the toughest this year. The rest of the millionaires should shut up and play golf.

As for the draft....the Habs need to clean out the executive offices before they do anything else. Hell, I could do better. What bozos. Thank God Big Jean is dead and doesn't have to witness this.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Par is like the Holy Averages Card - meaningless. The best score of the day wins and it doesn't make any diff what the little cards or signs say. I suspect that may indicate a difference between players and sportsmen.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lets get down to facts. Soccer is the world's most boring game...this is BAR NONE. Now it certainly could be improved. Give everyone a stick...preferably spiked, and allow one foul play per half per person. Fake crybabies get stomped by every member of the opposing team. That would end that. That is a game I would watch unless the players have those hard to pronounce names...stomp them, too. Those announcers who try to add excitement by screaming long and loud also get stomped.

Make it watchable and less fairy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stomp the wanker for fun, too. Chas, you gonna be at the Reno August show?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete -

And I had a fleeting thot that I had missed your insightful comments hahaha It appears that your appreciation of international sport is as limited as your sense of aesthetics. Must make the world a bland place indeed.

I dunno about Reno. Least I wouldn't have to worry about the snow blocked pass. So that's a def maybe. Would be an easier decision if the thing were not half black gun build-your-own crap.

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 06/30/18 11:11 AM.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I must admit to a bit of disgust on the black stuff. But to each their own. The shop I work in is mainly used guns and mainly collector Winchesters and Colts, but I did buy three AR's in the last two weeks while the boss and his son were at the CAS World Championships. His son won the Wildbunch again (1911, '73, Mod 12) for his tenth overall win (he's 25) with his first being at 14 yr old. He doesn't even practice-his reflexes are that phenominal.

Back to AR's. I paid $350 each for them including a Colt and a Stag with lots of extras. It's like cars...the extras you add on are not appreciated by the next owner so no benefit to simply removing them and selling separate. The same for scopes on rifles. We take them off and sell them separately...except Simmons scopes. We remove them and trash can them. After your girl, Hillary, was so rudely cheated out of the presidency (Gee, simply because she was a crook, cheat, felon, drunk, and a lazy, lousy candidate she was due). I guess she was like the other expensive extras...she was removed and trash canned. Sorry for your loss.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to see polo got a mention.
A bunch of us tried to play water polo many years back.
It didn't end well, the horses drowned ! wink

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

No mention of Ice Curling.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curling is fun and the chicks are hot, hot, hot.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete - you may want to check with your doc about some meds. You seem to have some real difficulty maintaining a train of thot on a single subject. Not to mention the apparent delusional fugue.

Or maybe reduce the current meds - whatever works

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuckipoo, those kinds of meds are in grade school vending machines in your Frisco area. I'll have to bow to your more expert knowledge. Maybe that is what helped you elect Gov Moonbeam again for his second set of terms. He drove Cali bankrupt in his first two terms and I suspect has done so again. Still, I guess some voters are getting wise. The new poll says over 50% of Cali citizens want to more out of state. Please, not to Oregon. We have too many already. We also elected a Dim governor for his second set of terms but had the sense to kick him out for being a crook. His replacement (also named Brown) is a big tax lesbo. They replaced a guy who had sex with his kid's 14 yr old babysitter. He was found out after only one term. He replaced an incompetent gal who was kicked out by her fellow Dims. Move to Nevada or Washington. We have had enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is shooting craps a sport ?

And for all concerned I've golfed once...did fairly well thank you.

One thing I did learn about Golf those golf eggs are impossible to cook.

Sidelock
Sidelock

anybody else here shoot skeet wid ah sxs doublegun?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete -
It would appear that your problems extend well beyond what I can only assume to be self-medication. You may want to enlist the aid of someone you trust to oversee a competency hearing and have yourself committed. Perhaps true professional care can at least return you to some meager contact with an objective reality.

just a thot

best of luck

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 07/01/18 01:34 PM.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I do, ed. I shoot low gun, and make it a point to be rubbing my chin with my right hand when I call for the bird, figuring the time it takes to get my hand on the forend, and get the safety off, simulates actually hearing a grouse flush in the woods. I also ask for report doubles, at it seems grouse flush separately more often than together. I rarely shoot better than 50% when I do this, but, I have had moments of stardom, shooting 70% or so.
That said, I am thrilled when I shoot 50% on wild grouse. It has been a few seasons, however.
Was the Browning you sold Sam the gun with the head of the stock epoxied back together, ed? Or, was that a different one? Hard to believe you could have two of the same make of gun that were such shitty buys, but, there you go. I don't remember seeing any chain saw like marks in the stock in the photos you put up, but, boy, I would have been POed if it had shown up in my mailbox like that. That would have been downright dishonest not to show those marks in the photos, don't 'cha think? You remember the one, you had it priced higher than a bunch of the same guns that were for sale at the time, that were in really good shape, by comparison? A bunch of guns for sale by other guys, I should mention.

Good luck with your skeet, ed. That girl, Karma, is a B!TCH, in my experience.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

you seem to put far more thought into things than perhaps you should...

an as for the browning deal, was that the same one ware the check bounced or was dat anutter time...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That girl, Karma, is a B!TCH, in my experience.

Best,
Ted

WOW ! ! You know Karma too?!? Man, she gets around!

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
you seem to put far more thought into things than perhaps you should...

Ed, you seem to put no thought into things that appear obvious to people who aren't idiots... Like you.

It seems you've developed quite a reputation here, and not a very good one. Tell us again about your wonderful feedback, and explain why virtually nobody here believes it. You never want to accept any blame for your own actions though. You can be grateful that your buddy Jagermeister thinks highly of you, but you'll starve trying to sell any guns to a tire-kicker like him. You two deserve each other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gee keet, seems like needer uv us are spectator sports fans...perhaps we should not be trashin this thread an ruinin it for others who wish to discuss sports an such here...

Last edited by ed good; 07/02/18 06:59 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best sport I've watched lately is ol' ed squirming. He is a "dodger" on the order of Barry Sanders.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

an speakin of trolls an trashers...look who shows up... jes buzz buzz buzzin away...

Last edited by ed good; 07/02/18 07:04 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Badminton is a heck of a sport. Love it.

https://youtu.be/IbsU6uR_GnA

Happy belated Canada Day Canadians!

https://youtu.be/HW48LUZKOL4

Sidelock
Sidelock

especially, when the ladies play in their minimal summer attire...almost as thrilling as ladies beach volleyball...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, lonesome. Late or not, a good wish is welcome any time!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.