April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (rwarren, Replacement, SKB, Marks_21), 231 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to remember persimmon is also know as white ebony and is related to that tree family. Am I correct or dreaming?

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never heard that Sam. Only thing interesting I know about it is that persimmon was used to make the drivers heads on golf clubs.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did a little reading, Sam, and it is indeed known as white ebony. It is Diospyrus Virginiana, which is the same genus as black ebony. However, white ebony from Southeast Asia and Laos is Diospyrus Embryopteris.

There are around 400 species of Diospyrus, but only one in the United States.......... that being Persimmon.

Thanks............you can teach an old dog new tricks.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can recall an article in one of the national gun magazines from maybe the early eighties? A collector had a neat as a pin glass room of identical bolt actions, I think 30-06 Howas, in identical patterned sporter stocks. Each one was in a different wood species, I want to say over a hundred different, but it's hazy at this point. Eccentric but interesting, it just came to mind with the topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
I cut some Black Locust when I was building my house , and had it sawed up into 1 by and 2 bys. It rings like metal also. I wouldn't want to let an action into it.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by Der Ami; 06/07/18 11:58 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Stan,
I cut some Black Locust when I was building my house , and had it sawed up into 1 by and 2 bys. It rings like metal also. I wouldn't want to let an action into it.
Mike

Before I got out of the cow business I had a lot of fence to maintain, and I bought split black locust fence posts out of N. Georgia by the hundreds at a time. You'd better put them up and drive the staples into them before they dried completely, or you would have to carry the staples in a bucket of oil, and drive them in oily. That, or you wouldn't get them in the post. Hard stuff, but I don't believe it was in the ballpark with that osage orange.

To get back on topic, I don't consider any of the three..........persimmon, osage orange or black locust, gunstock material.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago I had to cut down a bunch of Hawthorns to clear a path for a surveyors transit sight line. That was by far the hardest wood I ever cut, even when green. A very large one would only have a trunk 8 or 10 inches in diameter, but it would take more time to cut through than an oak tree twice the diameter. I actually got a few sparks off the saw chain as if I was hitting nails or other embedded metal. The sharp 6d nail sized Hawthorn needles that went into my hands and right through my boot soles added to the fun. I burned the wood not knowing that it makes great tool handles because of its' close grain and hardness.

While the Hawthorne wood is hardly suitable for gun stocks, I did buy one I Grade Syracuse Lefever that was stocked in what appears to be white oak. Whoever did the work did a very nice job, and all of the inletting and details of the exterior including the checkering and the flutes at the nose of the comb were a duplicate of an original factory walnut stock. It is stained a walnut color, but it is clearly oak. I wish I knew the story behind that stock.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although classified as a softwood, I've always wondered how Pacific yew would work as a gunstock. I cut a chuck from a rather large tree years ago and it was very hard. At the time I was thinking I'd make some pistol grips out of it but never got around to it. I know it does make up into a nice bow.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boyers love Pacific Yew. I saw lots of it in slash piles from clear cuts in Oregon in the 1970s and 80s, whole trees. Madrone as well.
I still have some Madrone longrifle blanks I had cut back in the 80s. Sorta like fruit wood. Short grained, pink colored and very plain. I made a few longrifle stocks from it and stained them dark.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.