March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a long email correspondence with a fellow from Australia who installed a pair of Rifled choke tubes in a 12GA SXS. Then he regulated it like a rifle. He killed a lot of those big buffalo in the north with it. I think he was using Brenneke slugs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vol, was the guy from Oz Marrakai or something close?
He used to post here years ago, he was mad for sxs's with big slugs for those big buffaloes,very interesting bloke
cheers
franc

Boxlock
Boxlock

I suspect that shotgun chokes might be a bit too short to work well as a Paradox with bullets. If it was a barrel with plenty of metal in it, I believe you might get better results by amputating or reaming out the choke, and cutting full-length shallow, slow-twist rifling.

That shouldn't deform birdshot in this age of shot-cup wads, and while centrifugal force would widen the shot pattern, it shouldn't produce a doughnut pattern. The shot are spinning in a smaller diameter spiral as you move inward from the outside, and the ones in the middle aren't spinning at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The shop that was cutting Paradox chokes was Darlington Gun Works in Darlington, SC. Jim Kelly is the owner.

Darlington Gun Works Inc
516 S Governor Williams Hwy, Darlington, SC 29532
(843) 393-3931

Last edited by Vol423; 10/04/18 06:23 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a fool's errand to think you could cut Paradox rifling in the chokes of a 10b shotgun. The barrels aren't nearly heavy enough and there's not even close to the amount of metal needed at the chokes to do the job. A Paradox is not a shotgun nor is it a shotgun conversion.

Here is a photo of the muzzles of my Holland & Holland 10b Paradox to give you an idea of what's going on:

The 27" steel barrels alone weigh 6 lbs. 15 oz., with the gun coming in at 13 lbs. 1 oz.

Here's the H&H ledger sheet:

Here's a photo (top, obviously):

Some bullets:

A few loaded rounds (225 grains 2F, 2 ounce bullet):

Kaboom! A right and a left:

See my first two shots ever on YouTube: https://youtu.be/saNWxgyOW6c
Anybody want to give it a try?

Curl

Last edited by CptCurl; 12/24/18 08:05 AM. Reason: 'cause I wanted to.
Boxlock
Boxlock

WBLDon, rifled chokes can still be had as I just last week bought a pair for my CZ 12ga hammer sxs. They are made by Carlsons at www.chocktubes.com I do know that in the past they would do custom work...maybe even on a 10ga, but as CptCurl said the paradox barrels were quite a bit heavier than a shotgun. I owned a nice Hollis with the invisible rifling and it's barrels were somewhere near 0.95 to 0.125 as I remember....shot a Fosbery style slug of about 700 grains with 26grains of 4756 to point of aim each barrel at 75 yards

Pro Deo et Pro Patria
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at curl's muzzle I think the twist rate is steeper than the Carlson 6" rifled extension--and I get lead smear big time unless I shoot slower slug loads than the 1350-1600 fps factory offerings I see out there. The slug is just moving too fast by the time it engages the rifling. I even see it on my 20" barrel with 6 inch rifled extension. I don't know how the paradox could fare much differently given those factory speeds. Fully rifled barrels avoid the problem in the first place. (strangely, the best slug performance I get is with an ancient BBF over under combo with no rifling at all in the shotgun barrel--but it shoots a 2" group at 100 yds with the old Activ slugs, and the same group two inches farther to the left with the classic Brennekes. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.