March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, SKB, 1 invisible), 676 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#514702 05/28/18 04:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I new thought I would own a rifle with a Pope barrel. The opportunity came to me at the recent Colorado Gun collectors Show in Denver.

It is on 1903 Springfield receiver number 14063xx receiver, which was manufactured in 1932. It numbered among 1903 sporters. Without miking the barrel it appears o be a service barrel and not a sporter barrel. It has a Lyman peep sight and a King ivory bead with mirror. I was informed the caliber is 35 Newton. It has he name H. M. Pope om the barrel.

I don't do pictures.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I forgot to say it has a reversed safety, and a headless cocking piece

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does it have the Pope numbers on the bottom of the barrel?

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is one instance when you simply must do pictures!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd assume with just the "HM Pope" marking it is likely a Jersey City Pope barrel. Not all of those had the numbers on the bottom side that Hartford Pope barrels usually had. But I'd be interested also in finding out what marks might be on the underside of this barrel?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are no markings on the barrel covered by the stock. It is obviously an ordinary Springfield Armory barrel. It does have he grove from the ping hat held on the standard rear sight

As to James V. Howe's Modern Gunsmith. There are no pictures of any Pope barrels. He does say:

"The fact hat Harry Pope was able to produce his matchless barrels with no other machine than an old lathe, that he could fashion makeshift barrels with a makeshift contrivance would excite no wonder, but that he could and did make barrels superior to those produced by machines designed and built for this particular purpose is a tribute to his patience and ingenuity, and should dispose of the word 'can't' forever" Volume 2, page 3)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got back to your post Paul and sorry I missed your reply. Guessing if it's an original barrel that Pope rebored and rifled it to get it to the .35 Newton. That seems to be something Pope did often, and more so in later years.
I also picked up a Pope barreled Ballard at Denver in May. But mine is one of the Stevens-Pope barrels made while he worked for Stevens.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.