April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, Ian Forrester, Argo44, CJ Dawe), 415 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#514957 05/31/18 02:03 PM
irs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked this up recently. I strongly suspect it was stocked by G&H.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think there's much doubt that's a Griffin and Howe. What's the chambering?

Bill Ferguson
irs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
I don't think there's much doubt that's a Griffin and Howe. What's the chambering?

300 Savage. Factory barrel with no G&H markings, but it does have this........

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is very nice & if you also have the top portion of the G&H side mount w/something like a Lyman Alaskan on it then I'm really jealous.

irs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
That is very nice & if you also have the top portion of the G&H side mount w/something like a Lyman Alaskan on it then I'm really jealous.

Unfortunately it didn't come with the top half of the mount, but I will keep an eye out for one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just sold the G&H top half that came with my Leupold plainsman- bummer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

G&H really liked those checkered side panels, I suspect this 1942 99R had the panels checkered when the mount was installed.

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 06/01/18 03:16 PM.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
G&H really liked those checkered cheekpieces, I suspect this 1942 99R had the cheeks checkered when the mount was installed.

Assume you meant checkered side panels? I see no checkering on the cheekpiece? Or even a cheekpiece on your image?

Last edited by Vall; 06/01/18 11:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right, checkered side panels, my mistake, edited.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bit my tongue on that correction. In the interest of a gunwriter trying to get things right and keep terms understandable I've called them stock panels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, I wonder if stock nomenclature varies by region?
The only thing I have ever heard called stock panels were the flats over the magazine box on Mauser sporters. Also, all I have ever heard the flats behind the action on SxS, O/U and Savage 99 called, was stock cheeks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no standardization of firearms terms that I am aware of and I have adopting common American usage in my writing; a pin is a pin and a screw is a screw. I have standardized stock terms for my own writing and teaching as well.

There is a pretty good glossary at:http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm#C that Morris Hallowell calls a Firearms Dictionary but I don't agree with all of his terms.

I was not familiar with the term "cheeks" and can't bring myself to use it to describe anything on a firearm excepting the cheekpiece, where the shooter places his.

Firearms terminology varies by manufacturer, region, country language, type of firearm and just about thing else you might imagine.

Any raised portion of the stock in the action area might be termed a stock panel, in my books.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations, irs, on a terrific bargain. Someone called my attention to the auction after it was over and I was amazed at the price. If I had been aware of it earlier, I think you might have had competition, even though I already own a Model 99 in .300 Savage.

The G&H side mount base is a turn off for a lot of potential buyers, but an added attraction for me. A stroll through my gun room would reveal any number of rifles so equipped. One of my most recent acquisitions is a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Super Grade with a G&H mount and a Lyman Alaskan scope, a classic combination which I find particularly attractive.

If you have difficulty locating a slide for your G&H base, let me know. I can probably help you out.

irs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's another one that looks like it went through the G&H shop.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771509156
Didn't win this one unfortunately.
I did pick up a Winchester Model 70 that looks to have been lightly customized by G&H. It appears to be a Super Grade but lacks a SG marked floor plate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Greg G
The only thing I have ever heard called stock panels were the flats over the magazine box on Mauser sporters. Also, all I have ever heard the flats behind the action on SxS, O/U and Savage 99 called, was stock cheeks.

Greg G, you are quite correct in your firearms terminology, despite S. D. Hughes incorrect assertions and personal beliefs.

It is true, you do not place your cheek on the stock cheeks. And you also do not place your butt anywhere near the butt stock or butt plate. It is just silly to use such reasoning for rejecting common and traditionally used terminology.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Greg G

I've always heard them called side panels, just like the panels on stock and forearm of Rolling Block and Hepburn Sporting rifles. The little half round raised areas are always called "side panels".

OSS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are still looking, I have several G&H slide tops.... what lever style and ring size (7/8" or 1") are you looking for? Also have several Lyman Alaskans. I normally set up at the Missoula show in August, but will be in Kansas City this year...

Last edited by OSS; 06/24/18 12:49 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.