March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few short weeks ago I was asking about bending a draw bolt buttstock to get more drop. buzz advised me to look for another replacement buttstock and make it fit me instead of bending the original one. The gun is a Verona, and I remembered that Bazil Slaughter is the go to man on them, and called him the next day. He looked and reported that this was the only thing he had that was for a Verona 692 28/.410 Combo, which was what I needed, and that it had a serious crack through left side of the head, and extending through the side plate molding into the wrist. We decided on a very fair price and he sent it to me. If you look closely you can see the crack.

I repaired the crack with an epoxy, and worked a little walnut dust into the wet epoxy line where it came through the molding and into the wrist. I then had to fit it to the action, which turned out really good because the wood was a bit too big in it's current state. It is much easier to remove a tiny bit more wood to get proper inletting than it is to build it up if the existing inletting is too large. The stock was much lighter in color than my two forends, so I decided to darken the buttstock, instead of trying to lighten the two forends, in color. I very lightly sanded the stock with 320 to remove any traces of finish that might be present, then wiped on one coat of Minwax Red Mahogany stain. It took it readily. I let it dry about 5-10 minutes, then briskly rubbed the stock down with a clean, dry terry cloth towel to remove all excess stain. I hung it out in the sun and wind for a couple days to completely dry. Then, I handrubbed a couple of coats of oil finish onto it, over a couple of days, put it back on the action, replaced the pad, and here is the finished product.

From start to finish, the whole project began when I called Bazil on 4/12/'18, and ended on 5/8/'18. I don't remember a gun project of mine being completed that quickly. Oh, the best part....................I don't have to modify this one at all, the fit is perfect! I didn't fill all the pores with subsequent coats of finish because the forends are like that. And, the color match is very, very close. I hated to have to stain it because the caramel/smoke on it was so pretty, but I could never have gotten the forends anywhere near that color.

Thanks buzz, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/10/18 06:52 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful job Stan. I love it when a plan comes together!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks great! Well done.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The "after" pic does not show the swirls and fiddleback as much as you see in person. I looked at it a few minutes ago, and the wood is still very pretty, though much darker. Wish I hadn't had to darken it so much to match the forends.

Maybe I can get some better pics this weekend. Can't wait to shoot it some, now that it fits me so much better.

SRH

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I finally got to try the new stock out this morning. Five of us shot a round of sporting at our home range. Targets were definitely not set for sub-gauge stuff..........lots of them being long and on edge. I was the only one that wasn't shooting a 12 ga. with 1 1/8 oz. loads, but I tied for the lead with an 80/100. I was sitting on an 87 going into the last two stations, but couldn't keep it together and dropped 7 more. Everybody was amazed at how well the 28 ga. 3/4 oz. loads handled some of the longer and edgy birds.

I think I still need to shave some off the comb, as I felt that I had to cheek the gun too hard to get it to shoot nearly flat. I really like it though, and am anxious now to try it with the .410 barrel set. I think removing about 1/16" will make it right.

My goal is to get it to shoot just like my 687 SP II Sporting 20 ga., and it's almost there. Light years closer than what it was like with the other buttstock.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/28/18 04:30 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.