April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#514338 05/23/18 06:11 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering replacing my old Dremel 120V corded tool with a modern cordless. I don't use it much, but when I do I need agility and precision. It seems that the cord on mine is unwieldy, and cumbersome to keep out of the way. I say "seems" because it may be all in my mind. The top of the line Dremel cordless is approaching $150, and I don't want to make a mistake and spend that much on something I won't like.

Am I using an outdated tool, having a cord, or are there drawbacks to the cordless ones.............such as extra weight because of the battery?

Any comments appreciated.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As with all cordless battery tools, if they are not often used the battery soon dies.
The batteries need to be cycled & used.
If you don't use the tool for three months you can't just pick it up & expect it to work.
The cordless option is good for often & regular use.
Other wise I would stick with the cord.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
....I don't use it much, but when I do I need agility and precision....

Only opinion here. I have easily settled on corded. There is a style of these things that're intended for 'lab' use. The cord that goes to the handpiece is a light gauge DC wire. Anyway, the handpiece overall weight, size and diameter are much better for agility and precision, and the cord doesn't tug back like a typical 110v.

Only catch, the chucks will only take a 3/32" shank diameter, but that's the diameter that has by far the most choices. They also have quick release chucks that're almost completely internal, so no nut or sleeve that's spinning externally with the bit. You can choke up really close to the bit and hold them like a fat pencil if someone wanted.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can you use a collet to use discarded dental burrs? I'm away from home today and can't measure them.

Thanks, SRH

I'll measure them tomorrow but I think the dental burrs have much smaller shanks than 3/32". My old corded Dremel has a couple collets, but also has a very small chuck which will tighten intermediate sizes.

What is the make of that tool, Craig?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/24/18 07:21 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan I have both kinds and I like the cordless the best.It is raining and cannot remember model I have in shop but cost around $60.00 or so. Bobby

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'd appreciate it when you have time to look, Bobby. Have you had any issues with the battery packs going bad on yours?

SRH

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
If you don't use the tool for three months you can't just pick it up & expect it to work.

I understand that battery packs can die from misuse, but proper maintenance of them can prevent much of that. I have had a 18V Dewalt set of a drill, sawzall and circular saw for about ten years. They don't get used often at all, but as long as I keep the battery packs on the charger, and hit the "maintenance" button occasionally, they last for years. I've only had a couple to go bad in over 10 years. BTW, I have a friend who is a contractor and uses these everyday. He says that instead of buying new replacement battery packs he takes them to a Batteries Plus store, and they recondition them for half the price of a new pack, and he has been very pleased with the reconditioned ones.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan Dremel Micro and it sits in charger stand so no problems for me in the shop. Bobby

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Bobby. I'll look at them tonight online. I was on the road all day to Darlington to pick up four doubles I had left with Jim Kelley, for some repairs. Glad to be home.

Best, SRH

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bobby, I can't find the answer to this on Dremel's site. Does the Micro come with different size collets so that you can use different size shank burrs? I really want to be able to use these tiny dental leftovers burrs in whatever I get.

Thanks, SRH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.