Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#514093 05/20/18 09:19 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a gun with front and mid-beads, but the hole for the brass mid-bead was drilled a tiny bit off center. I'm a Libra, and every time I look down the barrel it drives me crazy. I like a little mid-bead on all my O/U guns, as my MX8 is set up this way. I think I have come up with a solution to the problem, that I can do myself inexpensively.

I have ordered a new .125" bead with the correct threads. I intend to install it, and with my Magnavisor and needle files reshape the bead from .125" to the correct .063" diameter. But, I will do so while working mostly on one side, so that the finished bead is perfectly centered on the rib, even though the shank is threaded into the rib a tiny bit off-center.

When mounted and looking down-rib, it should look perfectly centered. That is the simplest and cheapest solution I can think of. Whatcha think?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck and take your time
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds just like something I would do. Perhaps some tape over the rib for a bit of finish protection.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

People who drill off center holes in ribs should get three days in the electric chair. It's inexcusable when this is all you need to center it perfectly.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools....aspx?rrec=true

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most likely when your mid head hole was drilled they failed to mark the location with a punch. When they drilled the hole the bit drifted slightly to one side and caused to hole to be off center. Ive seen a lot of sloppy work because people dont hold work well, dont do each step properly and just take too many shortcuts. Fixing screwup is a lot more difficult than doing it right the first time.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The way I have repaired this issue in the past is to mill a hole for a tight fitting bushing in the center of the rib. The bushing is threaded internally for the bead and then lock tight is used to keep the bushing in place. Yup, way more work than drilling it in the correct spot the first time.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have a tap for the threading, maybe you can screw it into a sacrificial holder and work it off the gun. Just make a little removable or not orientation mark that won't get ground off, and maybe save just a little fine tuning for on the gun. Relatively, that's a fair bit of reduction and you may want better access if you're trying to hold a bead shape by hand. Good luck with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You do need a bead. I had been shooting sporting clays without a bead, did not notice until someone pointed it out.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one with two mid-bead holes, quite close to each other. One filled with a bead and one with something else. I don't like either of them, and though of filling them with a tapered rod and seeing if an engraver could make them inserts match the matting.

KY Jon #514172 05/21/18 06:08 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Most likely when your mid head hole was drilled they failed to mark the location with a punch. When they drilled the hole the bit drifted slightly to one side and caused to hole to be off center. Ive seen a lot of sloppy work because people dont hold work well, dont do each step properly and just take too many shortcuts. Fixing screwup is a lot more difficult than doing it right the first time.

Could have been, or they might have used a cheap drill bit that wandered before biting. Good, split point bits won't. I have found some split point bits that are absolutely amazing. I bought a set of fractional sizes for the farm shop, and am about to bite the bullet and buy an index of wire gauge sizes for the gun shop. They ain't cheap, but they are fine. Sold by Kimball Midwest, and coated with titanium nitride or something else gold, but let me tell you what sold me on them. The salesman stopped by my farm shop and asked if I had a 1/2" capacity drill motor. I said I had a big Dewalt T-handle job. He asked for it. He then clamped a 5/8" grade 8 capscrew, about 4" long, in my big vise horizontally. He put a 1/8" drill bit in the drill and said "Watch this". He started the split point bit into the round shank of the bolt with absolutely no wandering. Mind you, this was not a flat surface, this was a round bolt. He drilled through the bolt horizontally and when it came out the other side he stopped the drill and let it stay in the bolt, took his hands off it and let it hang, the tiny 1/8" bit supporting the big 1/2" drill, bending the bit in a curve, but without breaking it. He asked if I was impressed, to which I replied that I was. He said "Then watch this", and proceeded to run the drill and pull down on it causing the flutes to cut into the grade 8 bolt. He kept this up, with the bit in a curve from the pressure, until the flutes cut the bolt in half! The bit never broke, and I asked how much the index set was, and bought it. That was several years ago, and I've never broken one. Split point bits are something else, and these are some kinda tough.

Originally Posted By: B.Graham
I have one with two mid-bead holes, quite close to each other. One filled with a bead and one with something else. I don't like either of them, and though of filling them with a tapered rod and seeing if an engraver could make them inserts match the matting.

You can, but I like mid beads for guns that I premount, and this is a subguage competition gun, though it gets used on doves as well. There was a thread that you could do a search for, on here, that showed the before and afters for just such a job. It was invisible after the work was done. Sadly, I don't have any guns worthy of such tedium.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/21/18 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.