May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (NCTarheel, DaveB, NTaxiarchis, Tim in PA), 307 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,767
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good read!

https://medium.com/s/story/the-surprisin...er-15fce7d10437

Engineering and science types will like this one. Your "gut" instincts are good for a reason...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/10/18 11:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

i am buying more ammo tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a lot of subjectivity with a bit of peppered stats.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting article, written from a different perspective, and hard to argue with. There is, however, one glaring error in this paragraph:

"While we dont have any good sources of data on how often zombies take over the world, we definitely have good sources of data on when the group of people on the piece of dirt we currently call the USA attempt to overthrow the ruling government. Its happened twice since colonization. The first one, the American Revolution, succeeded. The second one, the Civil War, failed. But they are both qualifying events."

Wrong. The War Between The States, while a cataclysmic event, was not an "attempt (by either side) to overthrow the ruling government". It was the result of a government forcing a group of states to not withdraw from that larger union of states. Very big difference.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Disaster planning should be a part of a person's life.
Just setting yourself up to make it a week without power is impossible for most people.

Might be as simple as a credit card with available balance, so you can just leave if you need to.

I am the "Grey man".

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Interesting article, written from a different perspective, and hard to argue with. There is, however, one glaring error in this paragraph:

"While we dont have any good sources of data on how often zombies take over the world, we definitely have good sources of data on when the group of people on the piece of dirt we currently call the USA attempt to overthrow the ruling government. Its happened twice since colonization. The first one, the American Revolution, succeeded. The second one, the Civil War, failed. But they are both qualifying events."

Wrong. The War Between The States, while a cataclysmic event, was not an "attempt (by either side) to overthrow the ruling government". It was the result of a government forcing a group of states to not withdraw from that larger union of states. Very big difference.

SRH

While you may be technically correct Stan, I don't think that changes his math or conclusions. It was a disaster event that provokes extraordinary disruption to life as it had been in the areas affected.

Maybe my ex isn't as crazy as she seems. All I know is I'm allowed inside the compound when the SHTF. My job is firearms. LOL

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Fact" that Stan stated that neither side tried to "Overthrow" the ruling Government is the reason it Was Not a Civil War, regardless of who all called it that. A Civil War by definition is when a faction within a nation tries to take over the Government of that nation.

An act of Congress back in the 1920's as I recall declared this war should be called "The War Between the States". Most "Yankees" call it he War of Southern Rebellion while most Southerners call it the War of Northern Aggression or War for Southern Independence.

It in fact was no more a Civil War than was the American Revolution.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

I am the "Grey man".

Were you trying to be ironic?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regardless of what you want to call the war the great redeeming fact is it forged a stronger nation than could have ever been possible otherwise.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Regardless of what you want to call the war the great redeeming fact is it forged a stronger nation than could have ever been possible otherwise.

What he said...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It also "Destroyed" States Rights & put us under control of a Strong Central Government, not the way our founding Fathers envisioned it. In many, many ways we are still paying for this today.

In spite of that Infamous Gettysburg Address Lincoln did more to take the Government Away from "The People" than any president we've ever had.
He was Hitler's Idol.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope.
The "Grey man" is a shtf concept that I have chosen to adopt.

Make you seem less crazy.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The odds of a 'zombie attack' are growing very year. Human population growth and environmental degradation in the global south are making life ever more difficult, exacerbated by climate change which is already affecting food production in the tropics. The Middle East will continue to melt down, and Africa's current population of one billion hungry people is on a trajectory to reach 4-6 billion by the end of this century. Those desperate people will continue to head for Europe in increasing numbers and a wide scale natural or economic disaster would turn the northward flow from Mexico and Central America into a flood. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Sidelock
Sidelock

what 2-piper said...

and perhaps it is time to erect memorials to the martyr booth for exterminating the tyrant lincoln...although his timing was four years too late, so maybe not...

Last edited by ed good; 05/11/18 01:28 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the pesticide thread, and relevant

It does seem that nature's way is to adjust over-population with a parasitic or infectious agent.

Ebola is back in DRC (and now Nigeria)
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/health/drc-ebola-outbreak-worst-case-scenario-intl/index.html

Ticks & mosquitos, and the diseases they carry, are taking over; Zika, West Nile, RMSF, Lyme, several forms of Ehrlichiosis, and Chikungunya, all in the U.S. now. Dengue is probably on the way.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p0501-vs-vector-borne.html

Chagas disease has made it to the U.S., thank you migrants
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170413120042.htm

Multi-drug resistant bugs are proliferating faster than science can come up with a treatment
https://reference.medscape.com/slideshow/multidrug-resistant-organisms-6008781

AIDS is on hold in SOME African countries, but will mutant...more than it already has. Swaziland has the highest HIV prevalence rate in the world now at 26%, followed by Botswana & Lesotho at 23%.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The grasshopper and the ant. Prepping seems like a lot of trouble to me when to greatest threat seems political. Better to devote energy to shaping the direction of the Country than stockpiling emergency rations and weapons...Geo

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A well-armed "grey man" makes perfect sense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe, maybe not. You won't notice me.

I am quite content to go unnoticed in times of civil strife. I embrace my lack of remarkability, my blandness bordering on invisibility. I am the hard boiled egg on white bread on a white tablecloth.

I am the English sparrow, the blackbird, and the anchovy, all wrapped into one. No one notices I've been there, before I am not.

I am the unremarkable "Grey man".

I have tested my lack of interest to others from time to time. Going so far as to introduce myself and make small talk. I leave people believing they were talking to themselves. I am they. Seldom do people remember me, or even care we met. I have almost completely perfected my frictionless path through group assemblies. I leave no footprints or distinguishable aroma's. My loudest tie is brown. My wildest vehicle is tan. The wheels are black. The windows are tinted dark. The mufflers are the quietest. The tire treads just M+S generics. I wear a grey baseball cap. A dark blue windbreaker. Loose tactical jeans. Sunglasses. No facial hair. No tats.

No one cares, and I go about my business.
Or maybe not. You won't really remember if I was there or if you just thought I was.

It's all just grey.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 05/11/18 03:43 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Joining rioters during riot" and leaving them when opportunity arises only works for short-term emergency events. Sadly, being "Grey Man" isn't going to be enough. I'm shocked that considering challenges facing this country people are still talking about events in this country that have taken place in 1860s.

As mentioned above the situation in the Middle East has become very, very uninteresting, however, this time I do not believe Moscow will give green light for carpet bombing of Teheran to take place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting CS. There are those who make a point of noticing someone who wishes to go unnoticed. The sheepdogs...and wolves...usually stand out from the sheep. You can see it in their eyes.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Try spotting security people next time you're in a crowd. With practice, it's shockingly easy. They are very different than "sheep".

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/11/18 04:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just a grain of rice in a bag of rice.
And I don't live in a major metro area. I saw society break down in LA, NY, and NO, very quickly. Social order hangs on pretty tenuous threads in the big cities. I don't want to be that guy.

If I am there when trouble starts, I want out without being noticed. That's my first job. I'll worry about what's what when I'm safely away from the maelstrom.
I am not Chuck Heston in "The Omega Man".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Try spotting security people next time you're in a crowd. With practice, it's shockingly easy. They are very different than "sheep".

I usually try spotting hot chicks in the crowd. I'm a 50 shades of grey kinda guy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All my nebbishness aside, "What are you going to do in the event of a natural disaster?"

A little preparedness isn't a bad idea. You can help your neighbors out. What things are essential to your safety and comfort if something bad happens?

Shelter, warmth, water, fuel, food, medicines, electricity.
What's your weakest link?

It's much more likely that an ice storm will leave me sitting here for a cold week, than a civil insurrection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not just the ear buds, suits and glasses. I count 10 or 11?

All someone needs to do is blow a single bridge over a draw both directions on I-17, I-10, U.S. 60 and AZ 87, then hit the Cholla Power Plant, in July, and Phoenix is...really...toast

Sidelock
Sidelock

And so are you then different to the crowd. You then stand out to them & they start concentrating on you.
Because I look squatch like I try to act squatch like & stay away.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, all that "grey man" stuff is good for the local scene, but until you stop receiving SSI, or whatever else the government has you down for, and drop off the grid, as in somehow make the world, our government included, believe you no longer exist, you are just fooling yourself.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two weeks to a month stockpile makes sense, but more does not. Why buy and store supplies for someone else? I should mention 'Baby on Board' along with seat is almost as important as having full tank of gas in an automobile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

you are just fooling yourself.

SRH

Just being on a gun forum puts an amber flashing light on your head.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am but a shadow. A will o' the wisp. Unremarkable in every way. It's just intentional. A way to benefit from my blandness in times of crisis.

The whole point of "Grey man" theory is to avoid involvement and confrontation. Draw no attention from that which you need to get past. Disappear in plain site. Don the garb, and sneak away, with purpose.
It's the opposite of playing Rambo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
you are just fooling yourself.

SRH

Just being on a gun forum puts an amber flashing light on your head.
O.M

...especially when you tell us that you "actually wear breeks"
when shooting, and eat ortolan. I guess it's a fluorescent shade of gray!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads

I usually try spotting hot chicks in the crowd. I'm a 50 shades of grey kinda guy.

This reminds me of a little riddle:

Question: How do you find the blind guy in a nudist colony?

Answer: It isn't hard.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand that "going away" can be accomplished, with enough $$$ and effort, but it's not easy.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good read!

https://medium.com/s/story/the-surprisin...er-15fce7d10437

Engineering and science types will like this one. Your "gut" instincts are good for a reason...

Several months ago I picked up an issue of magazine I have never seen or heard of before. Thanks to this post I have looked inside. Not sure if every issue is this good but table of contents includes:

When Cash Crashes and Burns How to make do what an empty wallet after the economy crumbles.

Wild Urban Eats. Find food that's right under your feet in the concrete jungle or the back of beyond.

911 Fishing Guide. When the chips are down but there's water around, here's how to land supper.....

Sounds like an interesting hobby to get into. At $8.99 per issue the Survival Guide is probably better $ spent than most gun magazines out there.

Thank you for making me take a second look at that magazine. I was just going to throw it away last week.

PS. Just to make it on topic for this forum. DOUBLE-Duty Stowaway. Hands on the bugout-ready Savage Model 42 .410/22 Takedown rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There must be something to the "Grey Man" theory. I'm positive that I've shot clays with him recently, yet I can't recall what he looked like. As a matter of fact, I believe he was at Paul Harm's shoot today!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
PS. Just to make it on topic for this forum. DOUBLE-Duty Stowaway. Hands on the bugout-ready Savage Model 42 .410/22 Takedown rifle.

It looks as if this could be Jagermeister's next gun buying fantasy. He could put one on Layaway, and excitedly keep telling us about his new gun, although he will never actually follow through with the purchase. Or he could post a photo of one and tell us that he saved one, and just forgot to tell us about it... as he has been doing lately with his imaginary SLE that his friend King embarrassed him into conjuring up.

Of course, he does need an imaginary gun to shoot up those imaginary Grex buffered reloads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

An act of Congress back in the 1920's as I recall declared this war should be called "The War Between the States". Most "Yankees" call it he War of Southern Rebellion while most Southerners call it the War of Northern Aggression or War for Southern Independence.

As a lifelong Yankee (from Iowa, the state that contributed more soldiers per capita to the Union Army than any other) I can't recall ever having heard the term "War of Southern Rebellion"--certainly not in any classes I had in school on the subject. Always either the Civil War or the War Between the States. When I moved to Northern Virginia, I soon learned that there were other terms for it.

Re "facts" about zombies: I'm very sure about their non-existence. Right up there with vampires and werewolves. Since none of those exist, I'm not concerned about any attempt on their part to take over the world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ATTENTION POSTERS:
PLEASE CHECK PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION FOR HALLUCINIGENIC INTERACTIONS.
PLEASE GET HELP

Sidelock
Sidelock

An Iowian is not a "Yankee", they're a midwesterner. Tennessee amazingly was also very high on the list of supplying soldiers to the Union Army. Sent more than most of the Northern states. In fact "WE" voted down secession first time around. Didn't secede until Lincoln called on us to supply troops after Fort Sumter. Thus TN did NOT secede over slavery, but because we refused to take up arms against the states who had seceded.

Another fact you'll not be taught in history books is the only income the Federal Government had prior to this war was through Tariffs. The South in spite of its much smaller size & population was paying about 80% of this tariff. A new tariff law had just been passed which raised tariffs from around 13% to as high as 40+% on many items.

Although passed just prior to his election Lincoln had pledged it his full support. Charleston being a major place of both import & export, upon Lincoln's election seceded, not wanting to collect this tariff.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/30/doomsday-prep-for-the-super-rich

I thought I was doing good with my can of pork & beans and six pack of Miller Lite.

Sidelock
Sidelock

and speaking of hallucinogens wink and Zombies

Wade Davis, "The Serpent and the Rainbow: A Harvard Scientist's Astonishing Journey into the Secret Societies of Haitian Voodoo, Zombies, and Magic", 1985

"Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie", 1988

http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2007/09/13/the-ethnobiology-of-voodoo-zom/

2018. Or not
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f00/web2/rowlett2.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

It looks as if this could be Jagermeister's next gun buying fantasy. He could put one on Layaway, and excitedly keep telling us about his new gun, although he will never actually follow through with the purchase. Or he could post a photo of one and tell us that he saved one, and just forgot to tell us about it... as he has been doing lately with his imaginary SLE that his friend King embarrassed him into conjuring up.

Of course, he does need an imaginary gun to shoot up those imaginary Grex buffered reloads.

Not going to buy a Savage. They did sell some nice guns like Savage-Anshutz rifles from Germany, Model 330 Savage-Tikka shotguns from Finland,....Model 99 Model 29 and Model 28 which looked just like model 12 Winchester.
I will try to keep two week to a month stash of necessities in case of weather emergency.

Let if Ferment. Get a handle on one of the oldest and easiest food preservation methods. Seed Sense A gardening primer that will ensure a stocked cellar when the world goes sideways. I will probably subscribe to the Survival Guide. Lots of useful stuff there to keep retired fella happy.

I'm perfectly happy with the game gun I kept. So happy that I do not have to bother looking for anything else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm perfectly happy with the game gun I kept. So happy that I do not have to bother looking for anything else.

Interesting Jagermeister. You go from telling us that you no longer had any doubles and was looking for the right gun at the right price, to suddenly claiming that you "kept" one very nice SLE.

But while you were looking to once again become a double shotgun owner, you lied to us about that Ithaca NID 20 gauge that was actually only on Layaway. You also claimed that you bought some ugly double with an electro-optical sight. Then there was your gun buying fantasy thread where you were torn between a Merkel and a Westley Richards, but you ended up buying that 20 ga. aluminum pump gun. And who could forget your recent lusting after a post 1964 20 gauge Darne?

But now... all of a sudden... after you were embarrassed by your pal King's comments about your erratic claims of gun ownership, you have again changed your story to saying you are totally satisfied with this previously unmentioned imaginary SLE.

The bullshit just keeps getting deeper and deeper. If your new survival magazine can tell you how to convert bullshit to food, you will never go hungry. Hell, you could eliminate malnutrition in the entire continent of Africa.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
ATTENTION POSTERS:
PLEASE GET HELP

Please learn to spell HALLUCINOGENIC. You look like you had rocky mtn bill as your English and spelling teacher. Get help... Then get bent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting Jagermeister. You go from telling us that you no longer had any doubles and was looking for the right gun at the right price, to suddenly claiming that you "kept" one very nice SLE.

But while you were looking to once again become a double shotgun owner, you lied to us about that Ithaca NID 20 gauge that was actually only on Layaway. You also claimed that you bought some ugly double with an electro-optical sight. Then there was your gun buying fantasy thread where you were torn between a Merkel and a Westley Richards, but you ended up buying that 20 ga. aluminum pump gun. And who could forget your recent lusting after a post 1964 20 gauge Darne?

But now... all of a sudden... after you were embarrassed by your pal King's comments about your erratic claims of gun ownership, you have again changed your story to saying you are totally satisfied with this previously unmentioned imaginary SLE.

The bullshit just keeps getting deeper and deeper. If your new survival magazine can tell you how to convert bullshit to food, you will never go hungry. Hell, you could eliminate malnutrition in the entire continent of Africa.

Actually it was 25" Webley & Scott 700. The Darne I looked for was post 1964 16ga. The French-Canadian has cured my desire for French shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
ATTENTION POSTERS:
PLEASE GET HELP

Please learn to spell HALLUCINOGENIC. You look like you had rocky mtn bill as your English and spelling teacher. Get help... Then get bent.

Leave him alone at least he still has faith in survival of this place. Last time I looked the government spent about $1 for every 60c they took in. To my knowledge neither party did squat to reduce spending. Another conflict in the Middle East is brewing with Russia giving red light only way for us to avoid it. The drug reference was kind of hard encouraging praying would seem more appropriate.

If shit hits the fan I will probably last for few weeks to a month. I don't want to be around if I have to constantly look behind my shoulder forage for food or eat "shit food" out of cans.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know nothing of 'grey men', but as long as this thread is OT anyway, here's my tomato truk on the back porch. We planted Easter weekend with grafted heirlooms including my favorite 'brandywine'. Plants are already 2 ft. high and the big varieties have blooms; the cherries have set green fruit...Geo

Owl's useless!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tomatoes are cool, Geo. Im just hoping some Canadian doesnt come along and start babbling on and on aboot some hockey team in Manitoba.

I have one of those owls too. Its where the squirrels sit as they eat my tomatoes while watching the rabbits eat everything else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, this time you subject us to not only one of Don's crappier songs but PG rated photos from Fast Times? Zzzzzzz.

Wake me up when it's time watch the Jets thrash Vegas.

I'm hurling a metaphorical octopus at you, LR.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
I have one of those owls too. Its where the squirrels sit as they eat my tomatoes while watching the rabbits eat everything else.

Yup...Geo

Two things money can't buy; true love and home grown tomatoes.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWwyhCVBDg>

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 05/14/18 12:28 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.