March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Marc Ret, Little Creek, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Poorhouse,
You really need to teach yourself. It's pretty easy if you hit the Switch to Full Reply Screen and just figure it out.

Alternatively, if you look at post that has a photo in it, and reply with a quote you will see the code that you can type in to get your picture to post. At some point, you have to take the initiative to teach yourself.

If I can do it, anyone can.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Poorhouse,
You really need to teach yourself. It's pretty easy if you hit the Switch to Full Reply Screen and just figure it out.

Alternatively, if you look at post that has a photo in it, and reply with a quote you will see the code that you can type in to get your picture to post. At some point, you have to take the initiative to teach yourself.

If I can do it, anyone can.

A lot of people here really care about this forum, I've come to know, mostly by posts and e-mails, a lot of really great people. I sure miss Michael, Whitey, and J.D. Steele. I wish I had joined this forum earlier and gotten the chance to know Mark Benenson. I am grateful for the people that I do know that are currently active here.

I am happy to post pictures for others, just drop me a personal message.

I've found that as far as posting images is concerned, the problems often occur with changes to sites like photobucket. I am glad that I now use imgur, but it got to the point where I could simply not get photobucket to do the things it used to do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I appreciate this forum as I have learned a lot here. I have a couple of Shelhamer/Neidner custom rifles that I will have photos posted here when I can make photos of them and get them to a member who has offered to post them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc

A lot of people here really care about this forum, I've come to know, mostly by posts and e-mails, a lot of really great people. I sure miss Michael, Whitey, and J.D. Steele. I wish I had joined this forum earlier and gotten the chance to know Mark Benenson. I am grateful for the people that I do know that are currently active here.

Michael, JDSteele and Whitey Hanson were amongst others, the reason I joined this site and began watching this forum. I always learned something from all of them, and like some others I learned to appreciate bolt action custom rifles from Michael's enthusiasm for them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These pics were an experiment with a new host.
Alex Henry hammerless with spiced pistol grip. I really can't remember who I borrowed this rifle from nor it's caliber???

Sorry the images don't appear?? Can this be rectified?
Didn't work....

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/16/18 05:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The imagines won't appear because you did not supply the file names that end in .jpg. These urls don't show a picture, even if you click on them to go to the site.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

It took six little mouse clicks to put a picture into the reply box, and you don't need to go to the full reply screen. Click on "Submit", and it's done. It ain't rocket science. Or you could make a mountain out of a molehill. This is my Louis Christophe .450 BPE Double Rifle:

Additional pics take another 5 clicks, and about 15 seconds tops. This is one of my MMC Checkering Tools.

rocky mtn bill says they require no lubrication, and accused me of lying about it in this thread:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=465994&page=14

Can you imagine how long those tiny little gears and bearings would last under load at an input speed of 17,000 RPM?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I know this thread is a little older, so I am not sure if anyone will see my $0.02 worth, but here goes -

The Savage collector's forum on 24 hour campfire is very active. There are several very knowledgeable collectors there, and they seem to have a lot of fun. They definitely avoid arguing with one another and try to keep it light. They also post hunting pictures, which everyone likes, and they have an annual get together.

Overall though, one thing that seems to really have stimulated Savage 99 collecting is the recent David Royal book, with lots of color photos, a welcome addition to the Doug Murray book which for years was the only resource for 99 collectors.

For my part, I love Michael Petrov's book on the custom makers, but the biggest shortcoming is that it is small, black and white, and not many detail photos - kind of like the Murray book.

Before some of you very knowledgeable and advanced collectors move on to the great gun show in the sky, you should open your safes and allow someone to put together a really great full color photo book. I also guarantee that it will increase the value of your pieces, which has been the case with 99 Savages since the Royal book came out because it spurs interest and help define variations etc. Perhaps you all can use this forum as a way to bring people together toward a significant and beautiful book project?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you talk to advanced Savage collectors I get a much different review of Royal's book. Yes, lots of pretty pictures, but those who pointed out errors or deficiencies in his book before printing were not listened to by the author. The omissions and errors remained when it went to print. Some of those same extremely knowledgeable Savage 99 collectors don't hang out at the 24 hour campfire anymore either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's my take on the Royal book too. It's a great coffee table book, but not without errors. The factual/statistical info is all garnered from Murray and/or info sussed out on the forum by we members. Very little, if any, primary source/original research- but a heckuva lot of pretty pictures which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Michael's approach was the opposite I feel- the research being paramount, the pics secondary (although his pics were world class to boot).

Having been a member on the Savage forum for almost a decade and a half I like to feel I've contributed to the knowledge base, but have learned far far more. The members there are as knowledgeable in their field(s) as are the members here in theirs. The difference is as pointed out: the humor that creeps in and the "real life" interaction. That, I feel, is why it endures.

Y'all have a good Memorial Day Weekend. Don't forget the reason for its being. And get some shooting in! (I'll be dragging a trunk full of Savages, Springfields, and Winchesters along on my trip that revolves around range time primarily.)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.